Mayweather vs UFC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mayweather vs UFC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Mon May 07, 2007 9:01 am

I was writing a longwinded response here, then I got to reading Amazinz' post ^^^ and that's really what I'm saying.

So ditto. :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 07, 2007 9:47 am

I know we all love UFC and it's huge right now, but I don't think we're giving boxers enough credit.

First of all, boxers are the most well conditioned athletes on the planet. One of the things I've always hated about MMA is that a lot of these guys are out of shape. A lot of them have spare tires and a lot of them are winded at the end of a round or two. If you're a professional athlete, you should train to be able to endure a typical competition easily. Period.

All that being said, I don't think a fighter could close on Floyd quickly enough to get him on the ground. The man's reflexes are ridiculous and anyone trying a takedown would be swallowing their teeth as they dive into Floyd's fist.

Standing up, forget it. I don't think anyone in the world wants anything to do with Mayweather in 4 ounce gloves.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 07, 2007 11:14 am

I have a few comments. First I agree with everything that Amazinz said.

Second, there is nothing preventing an MMA fighter from boxing. The MMA fighter can box and do so much else, he has virtually no restrictions except for the eye gouging, crotch shots, head butts etc. The boxer is limited to only one fighting style. Years ago Gracie showed that punching isn't everything.

Third, boxing is a dying sport. It used to be king but so few people are boxing these days that they are not getting the top athletes into the sport. Mayweather/De La Hoya may be the last big fight that we see.

Last, it's a joke to say that MMA fighters are not in shape. The day of Tank Abbott are over. These guys are some of the fittest athletes in the world.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:37 am

So there would be some interest in the PPV of one of these matchups? I would be intrigued....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 07, 2007 12:08 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:So there would be some interest in the PPV of one of these matchups? I would be intrigued....

there would be huge interest regardless of names b/c fans of both have a reputational interest at stake. However, it won't get done unless there are big names and it will only get done a couple times, maybe only once b/c MMA would be the clear victor IMO.

like i mentioned before, a boxer can be kept at a distance by a skilled MMA fighter with kicks until the time is right for a takedown. As anyone has seen before when a striker with little ground experience goes to the ground, they are helpless. Even ones with a ilttle training usually have no clue how to use their legs and just lay there hoping to deflect enough to last out the round.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 07, 2007 12:25 pm

RugbyD wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:So there would be some interest in the PPV of one of these matchups? I would be intrigued....

there would be huge interest regardless of names b/c fans of both have a reputational interest at stake. However, it won't get done unless there are big names and it will only get done a couple times, maybe only once b/c MMA would be the clear victor IMO.

like i mentioned before, a boxer can be kept at a distance by a skilled MMA fighter with kicks until the time is right for a takedown. As anyone has seen before when a striker with little ground experience goes to the ground, they are helpless. Even ones with a ilttle training usually have no clue how to use their legs and just lay there hoping to deflect enough to last out the round.

You'd have to figure that Mayweather checks it out on TV occasionally and is in shape to work out pretty hard to familiarize himself w/ the techniques to get ready for it and would make a pretty decent go at it. While he may not have fought professionally that way, you'd have to figure he'd have some familiarity w/ the sport and would be a pretty good match for a UFC guy. I'd be interested to check it out though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 07, 2007 1:21 pm

I would definitely be interested. It would be a return to the early UFCs except this time around with top tier athletes. But I think it's unrealistic that at 30 Mayweather could learn the necessary skills. There is Olympic-caliber wrestling in MMA and I don't think that's something he could adapt to quickly. He could probably adapt to above the waist kicks quickly.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 07, 2007 1:43 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

You'd have to figure that Mayweather checks it out on TV occasionally and is in shape to work out pretty hard to familiarize himself w/ the techniques to get ready for it and would make a pretty decent go at it. While he may not have fought professionally that way, you'd have to figure he'd have some familiarity w/ the sport and would be a pretty good match for a UFC guy. I'd be interested to check it out though...

He could definitely get familiar with positioning and leverage pretty quick, but his huge shortcoming will be that he won't be able to think about stuff, he'll have to know it well enough to react. He probably wouldn't be able to recognize the precursors of submissions before it was too late.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 08, 2007 6:14 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=8562

Cintron: "I Accept Dana White's Challenge"

BLOOMFIELD, NJ – Floyd Mayweather, Jr doesn’t want to battle a UFC champion. No problem. IBF World Welterweight Champion and former high school/college wrestling star Kermit Cintron would like to accept the challenge from UFC President Dana White, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. Cintron, who will be defending his IBF crown against mandatory challenger Walter Matthysse on July 14 in Atlantic City, NJ, would like to battle the UFC champion following his June IBF title defense.

“I want the fight,” said Cintron. “I can wrestle. I can box. I can beat those UFC fighters at their own game. Tell Mr. White to make me an offer and I’ll take on his guy after I fight Matthysse on July 14.”

Cintron (27-1, 25 KO’s) captured the vacant IBF crown on October 28, 2006, when he destroyed Mark Suarez in six rounds (TKO 6). The 27-year-old Reading, PA resident by way of Carolinas, Puerto Rico once finished 10th at the NJCAA Wrestling Championships. As a senior in high school he was offered full wrestling scholarships to Wisconsin University and Ohio State University.

The Cintron-Matthysse bout will serve as the co-feature to the Arturo Gatti-Alfonso Gomez contest. Main Events is promoting the July 14 evening of boxing, in association with The Tournament of Contenders, LLC and Caesars Atlantic City.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 pm

Good for Cintron with the manning up. I do think some boxers can have success with MMA. I doubt Dana will offer the kind of bucks he's looking for but it would be interesting if a fight took place nonetheless. It's all about $ and exposure so maybe it'll get done if he's serious about it.
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk