Mayweather vs UFC? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mayweather vs UFC?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mayweather vs UFC?

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:16 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=d ... &type=lgns

Floyd Mayweather stands almost 5-foot-9, weighs 154 pounds, has a 72-inch reach and can drop most mortals with a single swing of either hand.

He's fast, athletic and dodges punches as well as anyone, maybe ever. In 13 world title fights, he won all 13. His next one is May 5 in Las Vegas, this time as a junior middleweight, against Oscar de la Hoya, as big a fight as boxing has seen in years.

His nickname may be "Pretty Boy," but he is one bad, bad man.

On Cinco de Mayo we'll find out if the heavily-favored Mayweather can beat de la Hoya – but could he beat a snarling, menacing, multi-skilled champion of the Ultimate Fighting Championship?

How about lightweight (155 pound) champ Sean Sherk, who may stand just 5-foot-6, may suffer from a distinct reach disadvantage, but as a mixed martial arts master is schooled in "interdisciplinary forms of fighting that include jiu-jitsu, judo, karate, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling."

Could the best pound-for-pound fighter in the old combat sport (boxing) handle a champion in the new combat sport (UFC)?

"UFC's champions can't handle boxing. That's why they are in UFC." Mayweather said Tuesday from Las Vegas during a break in training. "Put one of our guys in UFC and he'd be the champion. Any good fighter, he'd straight knock them out."

Dana White, a one-time boxer and boxing instructor and current UFC president, laughs at that.

"Boxers couldn't become mixed martial artists. That's why they're boxers," White countered Wednesday from England where UFC has an event Saturday. "They are one trick ponies. Our guys can do everything. They can box, they can kick box, they can wrestle and do jiu-jitsu. They are much better athletes than boxers."

Mayweather may be right, but he'd have to be. Any boxer stepping into the UFC octagon would have to knock his opponent out before the mixed martial artist got a hold of him, because once the fight fell to the mat, where things get nasty, the boxer is all but finished.

But, as Mayweather points out, the often (by boxing standards) clumsy and lead-with-their-face UFC guys would have to walk through a hail of vicious jabs, crosses and hooks to get there.

"Take Chuck Liddell," Mayweather said of the UFC's biggest star and light heavyweight champion (about 205 pounds). "Put him in the ring with a (boxer) who is just 10-0 and Chuck Liddell would get punished."

So you'd punish a UFC champion, too?

"Come on, man. What'd you think? Am I just 10-0?"

Mayweather is 37-0.

Liddell, with six inches and 50 pounds on Mayweather, isn't possible, but someone like Sherk, someone his size? With that insane reach, unreal punching power and by UFC rules aided by small, light 4-ounce gloves would Mayweather carve up Sherk instantly? Or would Sherk fight throughout the barrage and get Mayweather in a clutch no ref will save him from?

"They wouldn't have a chance to grapple (us) because we'd knock them out," Mayweather said in general. "(The fighter) would be knocked out before he even touched us."

Of course, perhaps no punch is strong enough to stop a charging opponent.

No one really knows what would happen at such an elite level.

"I used to talk like Floyd Mayweather when I was involved in boxing," White said. "I talked just like him, until I educated myself about this sport. These guys are amazing athletes, Floyd Mayweather is one of the best boxers ever, (and) Sean Sherk will whoop his ass in under two minutes."

"Any day that Mayweather wants to put his money and his ass where his mouth is, I'm ready," White continued. "If he wants to step up, let's do it."

First off, Mayweather was talking mostly in general about his disdain for UFC – "Boxing is an art, UFC is a fad." But Mayweather has spent almost as much time this spring ripping UFC as de la Hoya, who he seems to consider as little more than a matinee idol useful for only increasing the purse.

"I never knew popularity to win any fight," Mayweather said. "I'll beat him and come home and watch basketball."

The UFC, though, is clearly on his mind. He brought it up on his own Tuesday. Earlier this month he cracked that "anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight."

Mayweather may be a talker – loquacious doesn't begin to describe the 30-year-old – but he isn't dumb. So maybe he is setting up another big pay day in the event he dusts de la Hoya and boxing has little to offer. Or maybe he just wants to promote a fight involving others.

Of course, the economics of UFC would have to change to get Mayweather to participate. UFC fighters make a fraction of top boxers. As part of the family business, Mayweather, his dad and his uncle handle all aspects of his career. For the de la Hoya fight he'll earn millions.

"Why would I go into a sport paying hundreds of thousands when I'm in a sport paying $20 million?" Mayweather said.

Mayweather knows full well, though, that the pay per view money is there for the taking on something like this, a battle that would be intriguing at nearly every level. White would just about kill for this to go down, preferably with Mayweather involved as a fighter.

"I'm willing to put together a fight for Sean Sherk and Floyd Mayweather with numbers that would make sense for Floyd," White said. "And I guarantee you he would not accept it. Floyd Mayweather would never fight in the UFC because he would get his head ripped off."

Yes, he would. But only if Sherk didn't get his head ripped off first.

i dont know what to think honestly. i can see the argument both ways. mayweather has been tought to knock someone out for so long that i dont really see the ufc champion getting near him. although if he withstood the first barage, i do agree mayweather wouldnt stay a chance. what do you guys think?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:07 am

This is like the 3rd time Mayweather has run his mouth about this and I wish he would just shut up. It will never happen. Also, comparing Boxing to MMA or K1 is ridiculous. It's like saying that an olympic wrestler couldn't compete in boxing. You think? :-D

Anyway, Mayweather would be tooled by Sean Sherk. There's a perception that Mayweathers' hand speed would be enough to defend the shot which is total nonsense. This fight would be a ref stoppage due to elbows in the first round.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Melo255 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:12 am

For a short answer I think if the boxer had a few clean and open shots right away he might knock out the grappler. I would think though that the mixed martial arts fighter would win 85% of the time if not more. As long as they could charge in and get their hands on the boxer then it would be over quickly as they would force them to submit in seconds.

Now if you were talking about Tyson in his prime I'd say Tyson would win 90% of the time because he could hit so friggin hard. He would likely have killed most guys with a barrage of power shots before they got to within 2 feet of him.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:35 am

Mayweather could be kept at a distance with some leg kicks until the time was right to shoot in for a takedown.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby BGbootha » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:08 am

RugbyD wrote:Mayweather could be kept at a distance with some leg kicks until the time was right to shoot in for a takedown.

exactly this is a joke, I would love for someone to take him to the ground and just pound him.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 06, 2007 1:31 pm

This is from the post fight press conference last night...

Fight News wrote:On an interesting side note Floyd Mayweather Jr. cleared up some questions about his rumored life after boxing. In the past weeks boxing's widely regarded pound for pound champion had made derogatory comments about mixed martial arts and its fighters, prompting UFC President Dana White to reportedly offer Floyd Mayweather Jr. a fight against current UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk to prove if Mayweather's suspicions of mixed martial arts fighters were true.

Mayweather Jr. swallowed his pride and sincerely stated to Fightnews that he has no plans of competing in any organization of mixed martial arts,

"I apologize to the UFC, sometimes we say things that we shouldn't have said and I'm man enough to admit that. I apologize to the Fertittas, Lorenzo and Dana White (UFC owners). I respect MMA fighters and what they do in the UFC. I have no plans of fighting in mixed martial arts."
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Stejay » Sun May 06, 2007 1:34 pm

He would be killed man.
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Sun May 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Mayweather

martial arts are overrated
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:38 pm

I'll take any boxer over a guy who is just a fighter period.

Boxers know alot more than these UFC guys when it comes to taking a punch and giving one I know that for sure.

Tyson in 1988 would own anyone and everyone in UFC by a landslide, BTW.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Tyson is actually an MMA referee now, mostly overseas and in Canada. He has said multiple times in interviews that even in his prime he would not have been able to fight MMA at the pro level. That's not a knock on boxing. Boxing is a great sport and a martial art in its own right. There are several guys in the UFC and PRIDE that have had pro boxing careers.

But the idea that a boxer with no other skills can enter the ring under MMA rules and succeed is ludicrous unless you believe that MMA athletes are nothing more than street thugs. That isn't the case. No boxer is going to inherently have the sprawl necessary to defend the takedown so a majority of the time they will be beaten badly on the ground. I mentioned it above, some think a boxer can use his hand speed to defend the shot. It's not going to happen very often. You can see this in a lot of the K-1 fighters that have made the transition and they even have skilled use of their knees.

Even if a proficient striker decides to stand with the boxer, it's hardly a given that the boxer wins. Boxing is all about angles and the angles are entirely different in MMA because you are defending your entire body. A defensive boxer, like Mayweather, would have the least chance of making the transition IMHO.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk