Closer hoarding roto strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer hoarding roto strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby great gretzky » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:56 pm

it's simply "ok."

the problem is, that in a smart league, they will just let you runaway with the cat, lowering their investment in it. this is extreme, but let's say you hoard so many that the league average is one closer, and some teams have two. there will only be a couple of teams that will mesh well enough with you, and are close enough to the others to make it worth trading with you.

Otherwise, its in the collective best interest of the league to just let you have the most of them.

Some guy in my keepr league is OBVIOUSLY trying this with steals, and everyone else is fine with it. He is now power deficient, that everyone else can just have a few stealers and get a respectable score.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IVIisfits138 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:35 pm

joemorgan wrote:Seems like some moneyball crap

Gotta love this guy.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckbillgates » Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm

Just to update on how this is working for me. I'll try to do this from time-to-time.

Despite not really have the greatest stable of closers (Street, Putz, Torres, Owens, now Myers), I am winning saves and WHIP, with 9 points for ERA.

I am last in strikeouts and tied for last in wins. I am well below the innings pitched pace, as expected.

The biggest problem in my execution has been injuries to the few starters I am carrying. I currently have Sheet, Felix, Cain and Kelvim Escobar. 3 of the 4 have missed starts with injuries, so I'm falling further off the pace.

I also claimed Brett Myers, hoping he would return to the rotation, and now it looks like I might just have another closer. Great.

Well, I'll give it another month before I start shopping and will report back.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 05, 2007 8:05 pm

It can work but only with solid closers, IMHO. I wouldn't have a parade with Street, Putz, Torres, Dotel, Owens and Lidge, though. If you're going to do it, do it right.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby BoilerATC » Sat May 05, 2007 9:03 pm

I am employing this strategy this season and didn't plan to. I am in a 14 team deep keeper league. My closers from the beginning of the season were Borowiski, Benitez, Reyes, and Saito. I am winning saves 36 to 22 (second place in the league). I just dealt Benitez for Josh Barfield because I need steals and another MI. I see Benitez either going on the DL or being traded, so I think it was a good trade for me (or I wouldn't have made it :-B).
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers