JOHN BUCK (KC) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

JOHN BUCK (KC)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JOHN BUCK (KC)

Postby Buttermaker » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:39 pm

whats the deal with this guy? why isnt he the every day catcher in kc? i mean he has great numbers but they keep platooning him with larue, maybe its becasue of his defense.. anyone know?
Buttermaker
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joemorgan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:17 pm

Well Jason Larue is one of those baseball playing type catchers...he just knows the game...Buck might be a solid hitter and put up better stats(which is totally pointless cuz stats dont mean anything in baseball) but Larue just knows baseball, you have to start a guy liek that.
joemorgan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Aberfoyle » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:43 am

Ya that makes a whole lot of sense lets start the catcher that know s baseball ( I know baseball, then maybe I should start), instead of the catcher that can hit bombs and drive in runs helping the team win... I would keep buck int heir all the time
Aberfoyle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Detro76 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:50 am

I'd have to say that stats mean a great deal in baseball.

What you meant to say is Larue brings some intangibles to the plate (so to speak) that just don't show up in the box scores. More and more, though, teams are looking at the stats using all kinds of of different metrics (moreso than in the past). Also, don't forget about the defensive side of things. I don't watch KC, but maybe Larue is just better defensively.

I'm sure if Buck keeps it up he will find himself getting more and more playing time, but its still early. I've seen this in the past where a catcher starts off hot and them comes back down to earth.
'Saw your wife last night. Great little dancer. That guy she was with? I'm sure he's a close personal friend, but tell me, what was he doing with her panties on his head?- Jake Taylor - Major League
Detro76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby haveuseenm » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:42 am

Buddy Bell said out of spring training they would be platooning. Talk here on the radio is Buck will be the starter at least 5 times a week by early to mid May.
we're not a city, we're not a state, we're a nation royals nation
haveuseenm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Gang Green » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:19 pm

John Buck-C- Royals Apr. 20 - 9:23 am et

Despite a .440 batting average, manager Buddy Bell said Thursday that he'll continue to platoon John Buck with Jason LaRue.

Buck has appeared in eight of the Royals' first 15 games and LaRue is hitting just .154. "Their primary job is the way they handle pitchers," Bell said. "Both of them are doing a good job there. That’s my first consideration. Some guys really like throwing to Jason, and some guys really like throwing to John."
Source: Kansas City Star
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ab » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:24 pm

[quote="Detro76"]I'd have to say that stats mean a great deal in baseball.

What you meant to say is Larue brings some intangibles to the plate (so to speak) that just don't show up in the box scores. More and more, though, teams are looking at the stats using all kinds of of different metrics (moreso than in the past). Also, don't forget about the defensive side of things. I don't watch KC, but maybe Larue is just better defensively.

I'm sure if Buck keeps it up he will find himself getting more and more playing time, but its still early. I've seen this in the past where a catcher starts off hot and them comes back down to earth.[/quote]

You do realize the guy you're responding to was posting as Joe Morgan, right?
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Justblaze » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah LaRue did wonders to the Reds pitching staff. The Reds staff was lights out when he was catching there :-B Defensively, he might be a better throwing catcher though. Haven't seen any Royal games, and I could care less.
Justblaze
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Re:

Postby zEli173 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:53 pm

joemorgan wrote:Well Jason Larue is one of those baseball playing type catchers...he just knows the game...Buck might be a solid hitter and put up better stats(which is totally pointless cuz stats dont mean anything in baseball) but Larue just knows baseball, you have to start a guy liek that.

First, this is a hilarious post. I think the rest of you missed the sarcasm. (As well as the irony of having been posted by "joemorgan")

Second, let's revisit this. Buck continues to rake, how much longer can Bell justify sitting him two out of five games.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: JOHN BUCK (KC)

Postby poopdungbeatle » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 pm

hey, this might sound lame....but i think it might be a good thing to platoon. Catchers experience a lot of wear and tear if they play everyday. If Buck catches everyday, you might see a big decline in his numbers....just my opinion, please dont jump all over me.
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates