Return to Baseball Leftovers

trade review

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade review

Postby trade griffey 2 damets » Thu May 09, 2002 10:33 am

I had the following trade proposed to me:

I get: Tejada, Mulder, J. Gonzalez

I give: Jeter, Palmeiro, B. Lawrence

Should I make this trade. I really am high on Lawrence, and I also have the following pitcher on my staff: Lieber, Chan ho Park, Burnett, Penny, Halladay.

I can get the deal done for burnett or lawrence, who should I include in the trade..
trade griffey 2 damets

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 11:08 am

I wouldn't accept this deal if I were in your shoes, considering that both Mulder and Gonzalez are still rehabbing. If all players are healthy, it looks roughly even, although I still think the loss of Jeter would hurt more than the deal helps (some folks will disagree here). Especially since you're high on Lawrence, I don't think you should accept this deal. At the very least, shelve it for a while until Mulder and Juan Gone return at full strength. At the moment, the risk of slow returns is simply too great.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Trade Help

Postby trade griffey 2 damets » Thu May 09, 2002 1:33 pm

Arlo

I agree with the risk...but here is my team:

C- Piazza, Barrett
1st- Palmeiro, Thomas
2nd - Boone
SS - Jeter
3rd - Glaus, Ramirez
OF - Abreu, Dunn, S. Stewart, Hidalgo, J. Valentin
SP- Lieber, Park, Lawrence, Burnett, Penny, Halladay
CL- Foulke, Gagne, Nunez

With that said, the trade would upgrade my OF, and allow me to play F. Thomas at first and Ramirez, S. Stewart, Hidalgo or Barrett as my utility player. Otherwise, I have to play Thomas at utility and I cannot use Barrett or Ramirez unless at their position's where I am solid. Also adding Mulder gives me three top notch starters, with Burnett, Halladay and Penny as my four and five.

Does my situation alter anything, or does the trade have to much risk to its reward.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
trade griffey 2 damets

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 1:59 pm

A couple questions: what's your league's scoring system, how many teams in the league, and where are you in the standings?

Under most conditions, I still don't like this deal. Your lineup looks absolutely stacked - barring major injuries, I don't see much need to tinker here. I'd also hesitate to lose Jeter.

You're right - one more stud pitcher would be nice, but Lawrence should be fine. (The one I'd be most worried about is Park, by the way). The upgrade to a (healthy) Mulder wouldn't be huge.

The way your team looks, I believe that this deal could help you a bit if all the pieces - health and performance - fall into place. On the other hand, if one or both of those guys don't make a full recovery, you could be digging yourself a hole.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

TRADE ADVICE PLEASE

Postby trade griffey 2 damets » Thu May 09, 2002 2:08 pm

I see your point. Makes logical sense.

My league is head to head on Sportsline with 10 teams.

I am 0-1 now, but do feel my team is very strong in the infield. I just want to move a 1st baseman to get some flexibility at the utility position.

What do you think Palmeiro and A. Ramirez could command in terms of starting pitching.

I had a previous offer of J. Mesa for Aramis, but am sitting on that for now.
trade griffey 2 damets

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 2:30 pm

Moving a 1b makes a lot of sense, and in your case, so does shopping Aramis (although I think you're right to sit on the Mesa offer).

With ten teams, I think you need just one more top-of-the-line sp (top starters are worth even more than usual in h2h leagues) plus a solid performance by the rest of your staff to compete for the title. First, try checking the free agent list - with your relatively small roster sizes, there might be some gems left over. A Fogg or Lowe type might be just what the doctor ordered, if you can find one. Then, try packaging one of your 1bs, of's or Ramirez with a lesser starter and try to land an ace (someone on the order of Wood or Hudson, perhaps). Of course, if there's a team that badly needs a 1b - a team that gambled on Tony Clark, perhaps - then start by offering Palmeiro for a solid starter straight up.

I agree that you should trade for a starter, but with your stellar lineup, I think you can do much better than the current offer. Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chicago » Thu May 09, 2002 2:42 pm

Being a Reds fan, I must say that I find you username, "trade griffey to damets," offensive! ;-)
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

trade review

Postby trade griffey 2 damets » Thu May 09, 2002 3:20 pm

Hey we found a Red's fan that actually like Jun-yah.....from NYC you could not tell....

Arlo

I took your advice and made a trade for a pitcher.

Do you think this is good for my team. I traded:

Palmeiro and Barrett
for
Oswalt

Did I overpay, I do not think so, and I think I might be set now...What do you think?
trade griffey 2 damets

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 3:29 pm

Looks good! I don't think you overpaid - Palmeiro's value in a ten-team league is significantly less than in deeper leagues, and Oswalt is excellent. Without knowing the other team's roster, this looks like it could help both sides.

Any good free agent pitchers to fill your extra roster spot with?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

trade review

Postby trade griffey 2 damets » Thu May 09, 2002 3:37 pm

Everyone worth taking is taken except for Duckworth and Benson......

My staff (pending the approval of this trade) would be

Oswalt
Lieber
Park
Lawrence
Burnett/Halladay/Penny

Closers
Gagne
Foulke
Nunez

I might look to get one more stud outfielder by packaging one of my lesser pitchers (Halladay or Penny) with Aramis Ramirez and another outfielder (Hidalgo or Shannon Stewart)
trade griffey 2 damets

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers