Aussie Sailors Disappear; Sail Shredded But No Clues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Aussie Sailors Disappear; Sail Shredded But No Clues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:31 am

Half Massed wrote:
thedude wrote:
knapplc wrote:This sounds bizarrely like the tale of the Marie Celeste.


Funny i was thinking the exact same thing.


Me too.

I remember reading about that story in one of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers when I was younger. One detail that stuck out was that there was a sword with blood on it found under the Captain's bed, which doesn't make sense given the "most likely" explanation put forth by Wikipedia. Also one of the theories was that the ship was attacked by a Giant Squid, which would be by far the most awesome explanation.

I would think there'd be evidence of that. Giant squids don't just sneak up and pluck humans off of sailing vessels. I'm pretty sure that in the odd case where they do attack, they would just go for the vessel.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:39 pm

JTWood wrote:I would think there'd be evidence of that. Giant squids don't just sneak up and pluck humans off of sailing vessels. I'm pretty sure that in the odd case where they do attack, they would just go for the vessel.


And I'm sure that they would find traces of Calamari rings on the vessel also.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:44 pm

RynMan wrote:
JTWood wrote:I would think there'd be evidence of that. Giant squids don't just sneak up and pluck humans off of sailing vessels. I'm pretty sure that in the odd case where they do attack, they would just go for the vessel.


And I'm sure that they would find traces of Calamari rings on the vessel also.


Great. Now I'm hungry. :-C

Guess I'll have to go grab some seafood tonight. A lobster, a few pounds of crab, and some squid will be consumed this evening by me, and it's all your fault! }:-)

Provided I actually leave the house anyway. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Madison wrote:A lobster, a few pounds of crab, and some squid will be consumed this evening by me, and it's all your fault! }:-)
That's like $60 worth of food. I need to become a semi-pro bowler...must be a lucrative field.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:A lobster, a few pounds of crab, and some squid will be consumed this evening by me, and it's all your fault! }:-)
That's like $60 worth of food. I need to become a semi-pro bowler...must be a lucrative field.


So you're saying Rynman owes me $60 right? :-)

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Half Massed wrote:
thedude wrote:
knapplc wrote:This sounds bizarrely like the tale of the Marie Celeste.


Funny i was thinking the exact same thing.


Me too.

I remember reading about that story in one of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers when I was younger. One detail that stuck out was that there was a sword with blood on it found under the Captain's bed, which doesn't make sense given the "most likely" explanation put forth by Wikipedia. Also one of the theories was that the ship was attacked by a Giant Squid, which would be by far the most awesome explanation.


If i remember correctly the red liquid on the sword actually turned out to be paint and the crew often used it to stir paint.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Half Massed » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:49 pm

thedude wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
thedude wrote:
knapplc wrote:This sounds bizarrely like the tale of the Marie Celeste.


Funny i was thinking the exact same thing.


Me too.

I remember reading about that story in one of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers when I was younger. One detail that stuck out was that there was a sword with blood on it found under the Captain's bed, which doesn't make sense given the "most likely" explanation put forth by Wikipedia. Also one of the theories was that the ship was attacked by a Giant Squid, which would be by far the most awesome explanation.


If i remember correctly the red liquid on the sword actually turned out to be paint and the crew often used it to stir paint.


I never really looked into it later so you could be right on that regard. Although it does strike me as odd to use a sword to mix red paint and store it under the Captain's bed. :-?
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:10 pm

Half Massed wrote:I never really looked into it later so you could be right on that regard. Although it does strike me as odd to use a sword to mix red paint and store it under the Captain's bed. :-?


Well what else does a pirate mix paint with? B-)
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby HiddenIdentity » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Maybe it was The Cracken.
Image
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1417
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:00 pm

HiddenIdentity wrote:Maybe it was The Cracken.



Quinton McCracken?!

Utilityman and legend of the deep?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1852
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ the banana stand.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact