Just curious: (regarding ARod) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just curious: (regarding ARod)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.

as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?

not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.

i didn't insinuate or imply anything. if you assumed something in that statement and took it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

i don't agree with your opinion, but i respect it, as i'm sure you do mine. where have i ever stated that i don't respect it?

i was talking to HIM. i was telling him that if that is the only argument that he's got to try to convince you (that unless we count stats retroactively pujols will be better than arod from here on out), don't bother because i already made that argument and it didn't convince you.

YOU are the first one to lose your cool and get disrespectful here. if i WAS going to get upset and insult some stranger in a forum over some opinion of his that i don't even really care about, i would've said more than "don't waste your breath," and i would've said it to you directly.

if you took offense to what i said, all you had to say was "that's messed up" or something to that effect and i would've apologized immediately. as it is, you overreacted to something that was not there, in a statement that wasn't even addressed toward you.

I guess it was your turn to overreact.

(We really need that smiley holding up a peace sign.)

My last post was intended to be a clear olive branch, as I was saying that I misunderstood you, I really expected you'd soften up, but what an interpretation.

I wasn't overtly apologizing, but come on man, in light of that last post, you were obviously looking for a reason to make this personal.

Peace ;-D

you know what? lets forget it. i'm sorry for my part in the misunderstanding. :-/

i didn't think i was being insulting, but if another poster (shasty mcnasty) is posting that what i posted did sound insulting, then it's not entirely your fault for taking it that way. at least some of the blame has to fall on me.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:35 am

ten pages of who should be the number one player, in April ..

this is good stuff.
More proof that Arod should not just leave New York, but effing run as fast as he can.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:39 am

Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.

as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?

not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.

i didn't insinuate or imply anything. if you assumed something in that statement and took it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

i don't agree with your opinion, but i respect it, as i'm sure you do mine. where have i ever stated that i don't respect it?

i was talking to HIM. i was telling him that if that is the only argument that he's got to try to convince you (that unless we count stats retroactively pujols will be better than arod from here on out), don't bother because i already made that argument and it didn't convince you.

YOU are the first one to lose your cool and get disrespectful here. if i WAS going to get upset and insult some stranger in a forum over some opinion of his that i don't even really care about, i would've said more than "don't waste your breath," and i would've said it to you directly.

if you took offense to what i said, all you had to say was "that's messed up" or something to that effect and i would've apologized immediately. as it is, you overreacted to something that was not there, in a statement that wasn't even addressed toward you.

I guess it was your turn to overreact.

My last post was intended to be a clear olive branch, as I was saying that I misunderstood you, I really expected you'd soften up, but what an interpretation.

I wasn't overtly apologizing, but come on man, in light of that last post, you were obviously looking for a reason to make this personal.

Peace ;-D

you know what? lets forget it. i'm sorry for my part in the misunderstanding. :-/

i didn't think i was being insulting, but if another poster (shasty mcnasty) is posting that what i posted did sound insulting, then it's not entirely your fault for taking it that way. at least some of the blame has to fall on me.

That's fine man, I did overreact to what you said, but it wasn't just what you said. You must also realize that it is condescending to refer to someone in the third person while that person is present.

When you go so far as to use some questionable language in doing so you compound the problem. Like Shasty said, there's no body language to interpret here so you kind of have to be careful how you frame certain things.

I accept your apology, I didn't do anyone any favors by reacting to your initial post and excazerbating the problem myself.

third person "he won't listen"s just aren't going to be taken well by anybody.

On another note, ARod was 0-3 today. Looks like he's slowing down, I'm gonna go shop him for Pujols. :*)
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:03 pm

:-D
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:06 pm

lol, nice
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:47 am

Jason Stark chimes in ... :)

Because the list of people who think A-Rod and the poet laureate of opt-out clauses, Scott Boras, won’t exercise that clause is shorter than the list of people whom Joe Torre enjoys waving for in his bullpen… A high-ranking official of one large-market team that would have interest says he has heard eight years, $200 million—which comes to $25 million a year. But a GM who has spent many years wrangling with Boras laughed at that.

“Knowing Scott,” the GM said, “I’ll say 10 years, $250 million.”
Well, whatever. It’ll be slightly more than Neifi Perez will be asking, anyway.
Whatever insane number Boras tosses out there, would somebody actually pay it?

“Arte Moreno, maybe,” guessed an official of one club.

“In this game, I wouldn’t put it past anybody,” said one AL executive.

“Why wouldn’t the Yankees do it?” wondered one baseball man. “It isn’t their style to let a future Hall of Famer, and the probable all-time home run champ, just walk out their door—particularly when he could possibly walk in the Red Sox’s door.”
:)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:56 am

I can not help but come away thinking that the Yankee fans are getting what they deserve here.

250 Million. 8-10 years in a Red Sox uni?
Loving it! ;)

This will end up being the 2nd biggest/best story of 2007, no doubt about it. It is going to carry over into the winter also. There is going to be some serious 8-Rod hating going on around here. To be honest, much like the best story of the year, Aaron with a little 2 next to his name, I am loving every minute of it.

I think I will get my boots steel plated. :)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Just curious: (regarding ARod)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:48 pm

I just thought I'd look at a couple numbers now that we have some distance between now and when this conversation was heated.

Since April 27th:

ARod: 59/185 (.319), 44 Rs, 13 HRs, 41 RBIs, 7 SBs

Pujols: 59/179 (.330), 32 Rs, 11 HRs, 33 RBIs, SB

Pretty close, but even since we've put this discussion down, ARod has still been the better hitter (whether a product of his surroundings or not, still a better fantasy player.) Still plenty of season left, but my money's still on ARod
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:35 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I just thought I'd look at a couple numbers now that we have some distance between now and when this conversation was heated.

Since April 27th:

Pretty close, but even since we've put this discussion down, ARod has still been the better hitter (whether a product of his surroundings or not, still a better fantasy player.) Still plenty of season left, but my money's still on ARod

better fantasy player yes, "better hitter" i'm not sure. but i think i said that from april 27th arod will be a better fantasy player, so you're (for lack of a better word) "winning" so far. but i still think pujols will win out in the end. guess we'll just have to see.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:03 am

Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I just thought I'd look at a couple numbers now that we have some distance between now and when this conversation was heated.

Since April 27th:

better fantasy player yes, "better hitter" i'm not sure. but i think i said that from april 27th arod will be a better fantasy player, so you're (for lack of a better word) "winning" so far. but i still think pujols will win out in the end. guess we'll just have to see.

Arod and Pujols may switch back and forth between better hitter but Arod is the better all around player
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers