Just curious: (regarding ARod) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just curious: (regarding ARod)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Maybe Pujols will slighty outproduce A-Rod by years end starting now. But I doubt that he will end with similar numbers. A-Rod has put up some incredible numbers and if he stays healthy than I dont see him not being #1.

125 50 125 15 .320 is probably the basement at this point. That lineup is incredible which means runs and rbis aplent.


Oh, no question and I think you'd have to be nuts not to take ARod at this point if you drafted in a league where stats would count retroactively. With this kind of a cushion he could put up numbers at last year's pace the rest of the way and come out with an outstanding season. I know that's not how it works...he's hot now but that doesn't mean he won't go ice cold at another point in the year...but even so that's one heck of a cushion. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Laean » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:35 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Let me see a show of hands who honestly believes Pujols has a better than even money shot at putting up equal numbers to ARod from this point forward... Do you think Funston, Karabell, Behrens are raising their hands right now?


I'd take Pujols from April 24th on over ARod from April 24th on for fantasy purposes. If someone offered me Pujols for ARod at this point in a straight-up deal and assuming I didn't have to juggle my roster to accommodate the loss of ARod and addition of Pujols then I'd take that trade. ARod is hot right now. Blazing hot. If it happened in August it would be an interesting story. When it happens in April it has half of the people throwing their projections out the window. Nothing has changed with ARod. He's still the same player he was pre-season. Ditto with Pujols. One's red hot, the other is ice cold. At some point ARod will slump and Pujols will go on a tear. It's the nature of the 162 game season.

Now...if I had the choice to draft right now and have the stats apply retroactively THAT would probably change things a bit. ARod's start has been so otherworldly and Albert's start so un-Albert-like that I'd give serious thought to ARod at #1 overall.


don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:37 pm

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


No I listened, and yes, I still understand. I just still think ARod will be better from this point forward.

Don't give me that "he won't listen" trash. I'm really impressed by the fact that you are so much smarter than I am that your preseason rankings aren't swayed by the extraordinary.

Your commentary has taken a turn for the asinine.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:41 pm

ARod has shown that last year was probably not an age-related decline. It was an off-year.


I don't agree with that at all. Two of the previous three years for him were sub standard so I don't see it as just an outlier. Personally I think 2006 is ARods talent level now in that park but just like every player in baseball he's capable of getting hot and pushing the numbers up or getting really cold and pushing them down.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Ender wrote:
ARod has shown that last year was probably not an age-related decline. It was an off-year.


I don't agree with that at all. Two of the previous three years for him were sub standard so I don't see it as just an outlier. Personally I think 2006 is ARods talent level now in that park but just like every player in baseball he's capable of getting hot and pushing the numbers up or getting really cold and pushing them down.


I can see an argument for that but you wouldn't expect an age related decline in 2004 and 2005 was one of the best years in his career which means 2006 was really the first down year at an appropriate age to start looking for a drop-off. Not to mention that players with speed and power both tend to age better than those with only one of those tools.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Laean » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:48 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


No I listened, and yes, I still understand. I just still think ARod will be better from this point forward.

Don't give me that "he won't listen" trash. I'm really impressed by the fact that you are so much smarter than I am that your preseason rankings aren't swayed by the extraordinary.

Your commentary has taken a turn for the asinine.


woah woah woah, what's with the hostility? did i sound hostile when i wrote that? why are you making this personal?

i simply stated a fact. i stated my case, you weren't convinced. he was making the same argument i was making, so i said don't bother. did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?

what the hell?
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?


not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:09 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?


not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.


i didn't insinuate or imply anything. if you assumed something in that statement and took it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

i don't agree with your opinion, but i respect it, as i'm sure you do mine. where have i ever stated that i don't respect it?

i was talking to HIM. i was telling him that if that is the only argument that he's got to try to convince you (that unless we count stats retroactively pujols will be better than arod from here on out), don't bother because i already made that argument and it didn't convince you.

YOU are the first one to lose your cool and get disrespectful here. if i WAS going to get upset and insult some stranger in a forum over some opinion of his that i don't even really care about, i would've said more than "don't waste your breath," and i would've said it to you directly.

if you took offense to what i said, all you had to say was "that's messed up" or something to that effect and i would've apologized immediately. as it is, you overreacted to something that was not there, in a statement that wasn't even addressed toward you.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:23 am

Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?


not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.


i didn't insinuate or imply anything. if you assumed something in that statement and took it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

i don't agree with your opinion, but i respect it, as i'm sure you do mine. where have i ever stated that i don't respect it?

i was talking to HIM. i was telling him that if that is the only argument that he's got to try to convince you (that unless we count stats retroactively pujols will be better than arod from here on out), don't bother because i already made that argument and it didn't convince you.

YOU are the first one to lose your cool and get disrespectful here. if i WAS going to get upset and insult some stranger in a forum over some opinion of his that i don't even really care about, i would've said more than "don't waste your breath," and i would've said it to you directly.

if you took offense to what i said, all you had to say was "that's messed up" or something to that effect and i would've apologized immediately. as it is, you overreacted to something that was not there, in a statement that wasn't even addressed toward you.


not really my issue, but i think the phrases, "he won't listen," and "don't waste your breath," taken together do connotate an insulting tone. you may not have meant it, but when i read the words, they looked insulting to me....there's no body language or tone of voice to hear on a message board, so maybe that's the explanation. Also, i think there's a (pretty big) difference between someone not listening and that same person listening and not being convinced. Saying that a person won't listen kinda connotates that it doesn't matter what you put in front of them (even if they're obviously wrong), they've got their ears plugged like a little kid. There's a big diff. between that little kid and a guy having a difference of opinion on a given issue. Just my .02, take it or leave it.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1206
Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:24 am

Laean wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Oh, ok, so you meant that I won't listen to you in precisely the same manner than you will not listen to me.

You: Pujols is still better than ARod

Me: ARod is better than Pujols

We can sit here and crunch numbers or throw out hyperbolous ceiling and floor projections all night, we're still going to disagree.

But I'm still listening. I just think you're wrong.

I don't think it would be hard to interpret this sentence:

don't waste your breath. that's what i've been trying to tell him, but he won't listen.


as you insinuating that I was stubborn or stupid

did i say you were stubborn or unreasonable or stupid?


not in so many words, but I think it's clear why I thought so.


i didn't insinuate or imply anything. if you assumed something in that statement and took it that way, that's your problem, not mine.

i don't agree with your opinion, but i respect it, as i'm sure you do mine. where have i ever stated that i don't respect it?

i was talking to HIM. i was telling him that if that is the only argument that he's got to try to convince you (that unless we count stats retroactively pujols will be better than arod from here on out), don't bother because i already made that argument and it didn't convince you.

YOU are the first one to lose your cool and get disrespectful here. if i WAS going to get upset and insult some stranger in a forum over some opinion of his that i don't even really care about, i would've said more than "don't waste your breath," and i would've said it to you directly.

if you took offense to what i said, all you had to say was "that's messed up" or something to that effect and i would've apologized immediately. as it is, you overreacted to something that was not there, in a statement that wasn't even addressed toward you.


I guess it was your turn to overreact.

(We really need that smiley holding up a peace sign.)

My last post was intended to be a clear olive branch, as I was saying that I misunderstood you, I really expected you'd soften up, but what an interpretation.

I wasn't overtly apologizing, but come on man, in light of that last post, you were obviously looking for a reason to make this personal.

Peace ;-D
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Boston
(4:05 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact