100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Alec Baldwins Tirade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:35 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
knapplc wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:It's a phone message, people say things they don't mean all the time.

I went through a divorce at a young age, too. I know they suck. You hear a lot of stuff as a child that you shouldn't have to hear. I really can empathize with you, but the reality is that what Baldwin said is not OK.

I NEVER said it was okay

what I said was it shouldn't be a big deal in the media and because this should be a privacy issue, the leaking of the tape(presumably by the mom) only hurts the child even more.

Quite true PWF, but I also believe that parents do this much more than we know, like yours for instance. Having an example like we have here of someone already in the limelight might bring some awareness to the issue.

Do you really think it will happen though? What will probably happen is probably Alec Baldwin getting a bunch of bad pub and then we don't hear from this again...
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:40 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
knapplc wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:It's a phone message, people say things they don't mean all the time.

I went through a divorce at a young age, too. I know they suck. You hear a lot of stuff as a child that you shouldn't have to hear. I really can empathize with you, but the reality is that what Baldwin said is not OK.

I NEVER said it was okay

what I said was it shouldn't be a big deal in the media and because this should be a privacy issue, the leaking of the tape(presumably by the mom) only hurts the child even more.

Quite true PWF, but I also believe that parents do this much more than we know, like yours for instance. Having an example like we have here of someone already in the limelight might bring some awareness to the issue.

Do you really think it will happen though? What will probably happen is probably Alec Baldwin getting a bunch of bad pub and then we don't hear from this again...

Yes, that is likely what will come of this, unfortunately. But does that mean we pay it no attention and disregard similar stories because people will eventually forget about it? We need to hold people accountable for their actions, whether they're celebrities or not. This was a case where everyone knew the parties involved, making it easier for people to respond.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I NEVER said it was okay

Yes, that is likely what will come of this, unfortunately. But does that mean we pay it no attention and disregard similar stories because people will eventually forget about it? We need to hold people accountable for their actions, whether they're celebrities or not. This was a case where everyone knew the parties involved, making it easier for people to respond.

True, I agree. But I'd still rather see more reporting on more atrocious actions like Darfur or extreme family violence. One thing I don't get about news channels here is that they RARELY cover international news(Iraq doesn't count because we are in the war, what I mean is European news, Asian news, African news)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:55 pm

And I understand where you're coming from PWF. There was a recent extreme domestic violence story in our local paper that got very little publicity. I will not post the article here, but the violence was absolutely horrible. Physical and sexual and the guy received something like 80 days in jail and he's out. Pathetic. And how much attention did it garner? One little article that made my stomach turn.

:-t :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:59 pm

PWF - sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth by alleging you said Baldwin's tirade was OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:01 pm

knapplc wrote:PWF - sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth by alleging you said Baldwin's tirade was OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's okay, it was more to do with my displeasure with the news media than it has to with the issue ;-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Maybe if Paris Hilton's dad talked to her like that when she was a kid, she wouldn't be such a waste of life now.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk