URI Student Senate Considers Punishing Campus Republicans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

URI Student Senate Considers Punishing Campus Republicans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

URI Student Senate Considers Punishing Campus Republicans

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:04 am

I thought this was interesting because the Student Senate appears to basically be ignoring the campus president in proceeding with this vote. Of course, they may end up voting to do nothing, but it will still be interesting to see how this unfolds.

FoxNews wrote:Among other rights, the First Amendment protects satire and parody as a form of free speech.

But the Student Senate at the University of Rhode Island appears to have lost its sense of humor when it comes to the campus group College Republicans.

Earlier this week, a Student Senate committee recommended revoking the College Republican's recognition as a school-sanctioned group because of the group refuses to apologize for a satirical advertisement that offered a $100 scholarship to a white, heterosexual, American male.

The advertisement ran last November in the college student newspaper, the Good 5 Cent Cigar. Forty students applied for the scholarship, but it was not awarded to anyone because it was not meant to be serious, said Ryan Bilodeau, chairman of the College Republicans.

"We intended that the scholarship was a satirical protest on the [University of Rhode Island's] many scholarships based on race and gender," Bilodeau said, a junior majoring in political science and philosophy. "We never distributed the money. They are punishing our expression."

No applicants complained, understanding the ad was meant to be satirical, Bilodeau added.

Nonetheless, the Student Senate demanded that the College Republicans issue a written apology. The group declined, but offered to publish an explanation of the advertisement.

According to a report in the student paper, URI President Robert Carothers has ordered the student government to end its efforts to get an apology from the College Republicans.

In a memo sent to the governing body Carothers said, "You are hereby directed, therefore, that you may not impose any sanctions on the College Republicans, or any other student group, that requires them to make public statements which are not their own."

Still, the Student Senate is set to vote on the committee recommendation Wednesday. Senate President Neil Leston wouldn't offer his position on the issue, but said he hoped to reach a positive resolution.

A free speech group has also jumped into the debate, offering to help the CRs and calling on Carothers to reverse the Student Senate’s decision if it votes to sever ties with the group.
Greg Lukianoff, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, said Carothers understands he is responsible for defending the constitutional rights for students and that the Student Senate must uphold the Bill of Rights.

“As bad as it is to tell somebody what they can’t say, it’s even worse to tell them what they must say,” Lukianoff said. "URI's student government thinks it is above the law — that it can take fees extracted from students by a state university and yet ignore the constitutional obligations that come with them."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:14 am

Haha I like their advertisement.

Sounds like their SGB isn't too bright...
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:25 am

Ha... Student governments have so little power it is funny.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:49 am

Sometimes I think about how tough it is being a white, heterosexual, male ;-7

I'm rockin' the suburbs.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:53 am

Very interesting story! Thanks for sharing that. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 pm

From what I've seen at my alma mater, student government felt a lot like high school, but they try to discuss "real" issues in order to look professional and legitimate. Of course, in the background, they're off painting posters and making Rice Krispie Treats to brownose their professors with. :-b

As far as this article goes, it's quite as animated as discussions go at the old alma mater, but didn't think it had to deal with banning a sanctioned group. Interesting story nonetheless. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:Sometimes I think about how tough it is being a white, heterosexual, male ;-7

I'm rockin' the suburbs.

haha i love that song

its pretty ridiculous that the student senate thinks that this is such a big deal...i agree completely with the CR on this, there are so incredibly many scholarships out there based on race and gender but i'm sure people would consider a scholarship solely for white, male, heterosexuals to be racist and sexist
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby ironman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:20 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Sometimes I think about how tough it is being a white, heterosexual, male ;-7

I'm rockin' the suburbs.

haha i love that song

its pretty ridiculous that the student senate thinks that this is such a big deal...i agree completely with the CR on this, there are so incredibly many scholarships out there based on race and gender but i'm sure people would consider a scholarship solely for white, male, heterosexuals to be racist and sexist

If I ever have millions of dollars, I'm going to set up a scholarship for white males with a GPA of 2.6. :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:47 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i agree completely with the CR on this, there are so incredibly many scholarships out there based on race and gender but i'm sure people would consider a scholarship solely for white, male, heterosexuals to be racist and sexist

Yep, that's why this is a story. It's ok to have scholarships based on race and gender, so long as it's not a white male. Very interesting doublestandard we've got in this country.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:47 pm

ironman wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

I'm rockin' the suburbs.

haha i love that song

If I ever have millions of dollars, I'm going to set up a scholarship for white males with a GPA of 2.6. :-D

I so would have gotten that scholarship.

It reminds me of the scholarship on Seinfeld when George had to give one out from Susan's estate. He picked some underachiever just because he wanted to be an architect.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk