Roberto Alomar Signs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Arizona Diamondbacks

Roberto Alomar Signs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roberto Alomar Signs

Postby The_One » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:06 pm

Roberto Alomar - 2B - Arizona Diamondbacks Jan 6

Diamondbacks signed second baseman Roberto Alomar, who had been with the White Sox, to a one-year, $1 million contract.
If Alomar plays like he did the last two years, he's no bargain at $1 million. In fact, he wouldn't be any kind of an asset at all. However, since he could bounce back and return to being an average regular, this is a nice move by the Diamondbacks. He'll replace Matt Kata as the team's starting second baseman. It will be interesting to see where he hits. The Diamondbacks currently have Steve Finley and Alex Cintron penciled in at the top of the order. Alomar should probably have to start from the bottom and try to work his way up.
The_One
College Coach
College Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:58 am

I have said this several times..but I still don't like this move by the D'Backs...... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:24 am

I think it is a very good move by both parties... IMHO
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby bell » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:05 am

Mark Gonzales
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 7, 2004 12:00 AM

Second baseman Roberto Alomar vowed to work out more vigorously in an effort to return to All-Star form after signing a one-year, $1 million contract with the Diamondbacks.

If Alomar can approach the results of 12 All-Star seasons, the Diamondbacks may have an even greater bargain.

"I think the last two years, I didn't work hard enough, and I want to put my game in the high level where I used to be two years ago," Alomar said Tuesday at a news conference at Bank One Ballpark.

Consecutive seasons with the New York Mets and the Chicago White Sox in which Alomar, 35, failed to hit above .266 have dimmed his storied career.

Alomar still has a lifetime .301 batting average, and he believes a renewed commitment to working out under the supervision of Tempe training guru Mark Versteegen will help him revitalize his career.

"I've been in Arizona for the past five, six weeks (working out), looking to buy a home here, playing with the Diamondbacks and making Arizona my home," Alomar said.

Fellow Puerto Rican Carlos Baerga, with whom Alomar roomed 19 years ago while in the San Diego organization, sold Alomar on playing for the Diamondbacks.

"If money were the issue, I would have gone somewhere else," said Alomar, who completed a five-year, $38 million contract and said he turned down more lucrative offers from St. Louis, Los Angeles and Colorado. "The Diamondbacks were the answer."

Alomar, a switch-hitter, said he would hit wherever manager Bob Brenly placed him. Brenly was unavailable for comment.

Alomar intimated that he might concede the No. 12 jersey to center fielder Steve Finley and opt for wearing No. 2 in honor of his father, former major leaguer Sandy Alomar Sr.

Alomar's contract, which includes $350,000 in deferred payments without interest through 2009, raises the Diamondbacks payroll to $61.35 million for 13 players.

Conversations between General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. and agent Jaime Torres started a few weeks ago after Baerga informed Garagiola of Alomar's interest. Alomar also negotiated with Assistant GM Sandy Johnson, who was the scouting director in San Diego when Alomar began his professional career.

The Diamondbacks designated catcher Brad Cresse for assignment to make room for Alomar on the 40-man roster.

"Everyone thought at the start of the off-season that we were moving backward," said closer Matt Mantei, who reported that he has fully recovered from right shoulder tendinitis. "But I think we've moved forward. I'm fired up and glad to still be here :-b ."

Go figure that Baerga was the instigator.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:42 am

bell wrote:
Mark Gonzales
closer Matt Mantei, who reported that he has fully recovered from right shoulder tendinitis.

Best news in that article.... ;-)

I still don't like it for the D'Back...but I will quit harping..... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:04 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
bell wrote:
Mark Gonzales
closer Matt Mantei, who reported that he has fully recovered from right shoulder tendinitis.

Best news in that article.... ;-)

A healthy Mantei will be gone by the trading deadline. ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Arizona Diamondbacks