cards sign mike lincoln - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

cards sign mike lincoln

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

cards sign mike lincoln

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:57 am

ST. LOUIS -- Manager Tony La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan have another piece to work into their bullpen puzzle. Right-hander Mike Lincoln signed a one-year Major League contract with the Cardinals on Tuesday.
Lincoln, 28, came up through the Twins organization as a starter but was released after the 2001 season and signed with the Pirates. He pitched exclusively as a reliever with Pittsburgh, and found the role suited him. Over three years with the Bucs, he posted a 3.50 ERA with seven wins, nine losses, five saves and 102 strikeouts in 149 innings.

Lincoln endured a difficult 2003, missing the first half of the season with a shoulder injury and finishing the year with a 5.20 ERA in 36 appearances. He endured a couple of tough appearances against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium, including a July game in which he yielded three ninth-inning runs for a blown save and a loss.

With the addition of Lincoln, St. Louis now has added three players who were Pirates in 2003, following the signings of Jeff Suppan and Reggie Sanders last month.

The St. Louis bullpen might be close to set. Jason Isringhausen returns as the closer, with Steve Kline and Ray King slotted as the two left-handers. Lincoln will likely share right-handed setup duties with Cal Eldred and possibly Jason Simontacchi. Kiko Calero and youngster Evan Rust, acquired from Tampa Bay in the Tino Martinez deal, might also figure prominently in the mix.

That would leave only a few items on the shopping list for general manager Walt Jocketty. The Cards would still like to add a second baseman, and the team has until Thursday to re-sign free agent outfielder Orlando Palmeiro or let him go.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp ... p&c_id=sln

lincoln is not a dominant set up man but i guess he is better than the old injured has-beens that were in the bullpen last year. if kiko can pitch like he did before his injury then the bullpen should be ok. journal could also figure in the mix but management doesnt seem to like him very much.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:43 pm

Interesting move. I'm not going to say it's a bad move though. We'll see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:23 pm

i think i would have rather the cards signed politte. he really sucked at times last year but was probably pitching injured. he has better stuff and was pretty solid in philly.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Grenade Teeth » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:35 pm

If Izzy is healthy to start the season the Cards bullpen will already be better than last year. They would have won the Central last year if they had Izzy in April/May
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:58 pm

cards seem to have quite a few relievers now:

izzy
eldred
kline
king
tavarez
lincoln
calero
simo
rust
journal
haren?

what are they going to do with all of these guys?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:04 am

I thought they needed to help their Pen....but this is not what I had in mind...... :-/

maybe they should trade some of those relievers for a SP....JMO though....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:50 am

i'd like to see a trade for roberts to play 2b and leadoff and then maybe sign payton to play LF if the price is right. payton is no all-star but he put up decent numbers away from coors. i am not completely happy with the back end of the rotation (carpenter/ marquis/ or haren) but i get the impression thats what its going to be.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:16 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:I thought they needed to help their Pen....but this is not what I had in mind...... :-/

Looks like "quantity over quality" to me. They do know this isn't fantasy baseball, right? Lol. :-b

In all seriousness, I'd say that a trade is probably going to happen. Maybe to land a starter?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:10 pm

tavarez isnt terrible. he had decent numbers after the break including 8 saves in september. his best stat might be only 1 home run allowed in 82+ innings. it seems like that cards gave up a record number of walk off home runs last year. i think cincy even took three in a row off of walk off homers. the cards are still saying that no deal has been reached with tavarez though. boras is the only saying that the deal is done. it may be just that the cards policy is not to confirm anything until the player takes a physical.

the bullpen isnt outstanding but it should be good enough. if calero pitches like he did last year then i think the bullpen might surprise a few people. eldred settled down after a terrible start to the season (still gives up too many homers though). kline and king arent bad.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:31 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:tavarez isnt terrible.

I saw Julian in Chicago...Yes he is terrible...... :-P
St Louis had other..better options.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals