Tattooed Marines - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tattooed Marines

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 am

It's all about discipline. If the Marines think that this is needed to keep discipline then so be it. It's no less crazy than saying that you can't have long hair, everybody must wear the same clothes etc. Individuality and personal expression are not really encouraged in the military.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:07 am

Mookie4ever wrote:It's all about discipline. If the Marines think that this is needed to keep discipline then so be it. It's no less crazy than saying that you can't have long hair, everybody must wear the same clothes etc. Individuality and personal expression are not really encouraged in the military.

i can see uniformity, not discipline. The fact that someone has a tatoo effecting discipline i think is a generalization

I can see the argument, but it is ridiculous
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:08 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:It's all about discipline. If the Marines think that this is needed to keep discipline then so be it. It's no less crazy than saying that you can't have long hair, everybody must wear the same clothes etc. Individuality and personal expression are not really encouraged in the military.

i can see uniformity, not discipline. The fact that someone has a tatoo effecting discipline i think is a generalization

I can see the argument, but it is ridiculous

Uniformity is about discipline.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:43 am

I perceive tattoos as a part of Marine history. US Military history actually, but especially Marines. To take something traditional and possibly sacred from a Marine doesn't make sense.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:44 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I perceive tattoos as a part of Marine history. US Military history actually, but especially Marines. To take something traditional and possibly sacred from a Marine doesn't make sense.

this is true, i didn't even think about that. They have a long history of getting tattoos and it just is a staple of the marines IMO. They are clean cut guys in there uniform, but under they are bad-a$$ tatooed fighting machines
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:56 am

Lots of times it's a form of comraderie. Go to the parlor with your buddies and get matching tats. Guess you can only get a little one on your bicep now.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Madison » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm

I can see and understand the government's side about wanting our armed servicemen's looks to be respectable.

However........

War isn't pretty. They lay their lives on the line to protect this country. They do things they may not enjoy, like, or want to do in order to protect this country. Be it 115 degrees, or 20 below zero, those troops are out there fighting and doing what's necessary to ensure our country stays safe. Shots ringing out everywhere, bombs going off everywhere, landmines, booby traps, you name it. Those soldiers are doing a job that quite a few people don't have the heart or ability to do. If they want a tattoo to make them feel stronger, more of a unit, more tough, or to show respect, honor, or any of the hundreds of reasons they have to get one, I do not see a problem with that. If Bush wants to put on a "pretty" face for the enemy, send in the clean cut desk jockeys and we'll see how long they survive. Having rules in war is bad enough, but now trying to make those participating in war pretty as well? Gimme a break. What's next? Push-ups for getting mud, grass stains, or blood on one's uniform? Ridiculous.

EDIT: Make no mistake, I'm not implying anything negative about the desk jockeys (my father was one - Air Force strategic command), just showing that war is not "pretty".
Last edited by Madison on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:23 pm

The future face of the USMC

I don't know what everyone is getting so worked up about. The Marines banned "extra-large tattoos below the elbow or the knee". The semper fi tats on the bicep are ok. I think that soldiers can handle this. After all they are told when to eat, when to sleep, what to eat and how to look. The marines have guidelines on how to make their bed. They cut your hair for you for criminy sake.

Everybody is so caught up in rights and freedoms and don't give a second thought to duty and responsibility. These guys signed up for this. They signed up to do their duty. You start listening to all of this crying for rights and personal freedoms in the army and the next thing you know you'll have lawyers running your wars.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The future face of the USMC

I don't know what everyone is getting so worked up about. The Marines banned "extra-large tattoos below the elbow or the knee". The semper fi tats on the bicep are ok. I think that soldiers can handle this. After all they are told when to eat, when to sleep, what to eat and how to look. The marines have guidelines on how to make their bed. They cut your hair for you for criminy sake.

Everybody is so caught up in rights and freedoms and don't give a second thought to duty and responsibility. These guys signed up for this. They signed up to do their duty. You start listening to all of this crying for rights and personal freedoms in the army and the next thing you know you'll have lawyers running your wars.

well i am going to be a lawyer, in law school, and i have Tattoos
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:38 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:The future face of the USMC

well i am going to be a lawyer, in law school, and i have Tattoos

well bully for you.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk