Ryan Howard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ryan Howard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Howard

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:48 am

According to mlb.com

Ryan Howard pulled up lame while running to first base in attempt to beat out a double play during the 10th inning of Wednesday night’s 13-inning loss to the Nationals.

The slugging first baseman remained in the game, as the Phillies had no bench players left. The team said Howard has a sore left leg, and may have a precautionary MRI tomorrow. Stay tuned for an update.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Ryan Howard

Postby kemper5 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:59 am

Hopefully he will be fine..Man am I glad I traded Howard & Burrell for Pujols.. ;-D
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oriole Way » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:27 am

I really hope he's just out for a game or two... really looking forward to him heating up.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Ryan Howard

Postby negola_d » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:17 am

kemper5 wrote:Hopefully he will be fine..Man am I glad I traded Howard & Burrell for Pujols.. ;-D

Good trade.

But Howard wiill hit 45 HR's by the end.
negola_d
College Coach
College Coach

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 am

Edit
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 am

Looks to me like a DL stint is likely... the only question being, how long will the DL stint be? I hate to say it as a Howard owner, but this looks ugly...

WASHINGTON -- The postgame limp paled in comparison to the pained look on Ryan Howard's face as the injured first baseman tried to block out the agony.

Howard stood, then dragged his 250 pounds to the small medical area outside the clubhouse. That's where athletic trainer Scott Sheridan placed a wrap on Howard's left leg -- around his knee -- as Howard lay back staring at the ceiling. Just outside the entrance, manager Charlie Manuel held a private vigil.

Asked if he was concerned, Manuel nodded yes.

Howard didn't speak to reporters about his condition, and he will likely have an MRI performed before Thursday's game.

Howard was apparently injured when raced to first base to beat out a double play in the 10th inning of a 5-4, 13-inning loss to Nationals. He stretched hard on the final step, and hunched over for a few moments while he composed himself.

Howard remained in the game, which was a good thing since his departure would have forced Manuel to play a pitcher -- likely Tom Gordon -- at first base because the Phillies were out of bench players. After staying in the game, Howard hobbled worse trying to beat out another double play in the 12th inning.

Philadelphia is not expected to know anything until the MRI results, though there were indications that infielder Chris Coste could be summoned from Triple-A Ottawa in case Howard would need a trip to the disabled list.

Losing Howard would be the last thing this 3-10 team needs, though the fact that he stayed in the game has to be looked at as a good sign.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... ed=rss_phi
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:09 am

WASHINGTON - Ryan Howard, the face of the Phillies, pulled up lame, possibly with a left knee injury. A shiver went through the Phillies' organization.
The Phillies lost to Washington last night, 5-4, in 13 innings. The loss wasn't what left Phillies manager Charlie Manuel ashen-faced or Howard tight-lipped.

Howard, the National League MVP, could be out for a while.

philly.com

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Now they're saying no DL trip, day-to-day.

Rotoworld wrote:Ryan Howard is sitting out Thursday's game because of a sprained ligament in his left knee. He's day-to-day.

GM Pat Gillick said X-rays done Wednesday showed nothing was torn and that Howard wouldn't need an MRI. Greg Dobbs is starting in his place today.

;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby scotch27 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm guessing he'll be given at least another day off, and return to the lineup on Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps this will be good for his slump - a few days off.

Anyone else in favor of Philly adjusting their lineup so there's more of a scare than Burrell behind Howard? I like Utley batting 4th instead...
scotch27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sstobe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Neither one is hitting so, they are better off trying something new. Switching the two isn't a bad idea.
sstobe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates