Jason Bergmann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Bergmann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue May 15, 2007 11:40 am

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:It's not always stuff that makes you a good pitcher. He's obviously doing a great job of keeping hitters off balance and has very good command. He's not much different from someone like John Maine IMO. Should be a very serviceable pitcher this year.

I agree, but without good stuff you have to be a very good "pitcher" in every other aspect of pitching. In other words hes nothing more than every other #4 or #5 pitcher in the game except so far he's hitting his spots and throwing all his pitches for strikes. I'd say the odds are in his favor to be nothing more than a #4 or #5 type guy then a guy that puts it all together like Maine has.....but really, Maine was a good pitcher in the minors as well. Berg was just avg in the Minors. With that said, I hope he continues doing well. I've said before that I'm a pitchers guy and would love nothing more than to see more good pitchers in the league. I just don't see it with him though....

Yeah Maine has better stuff for sure but I was just using him as an example of someone without dominant stuff with good command and the ability to pitch well. Both will come down to earth for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pirates4Life » Tue May 15, 2007 11:49 am

Ender wrote:.193 BABIP against, sell high~.

He's a decent little pitcher, good K rate, walks too many, flyball pitcher but can get away with it in that park. However with a BABIP like that a pitcher is going to look great no matter what. When that reverts to normal you are looking at 5th tier or lower fantasy pitcher unless he fixes those walks in a hurry.

He'll definitely give up more hits. That's a given. But he's a got a long way to fall before he's not a useful pitcher.

Control-wise, he shows signs going back 2 years of steadily improving.

He struggled with control early in his minor league career. In 2005 and 2006, in AA and AAA, he walked a respectable 49 in 134 IP.

He walked 10 batters in his first two starts (9 2/3 IP) of this year.

Since then, in his last 6 starts, he's walked only 11 over about 40 innings against the Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Brewers, and Braves. I'd say he's got them under control pretty well, at least for now.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Ender wrote:.193 BABIP against, sell high~.

He's a decent little pitcher, good K rate, walks too many, flyball pitcher but can get away with it in that park. However with a BABIP like that a pitcher is going to look great no matter what. When that reverts to normal you are looking at 5th tier or lower fantasy pitcher unless he fixes those walks in a hurry.
Like I said, he's been hit-lucky thus far this year.

But a fly ball guy with a good defense behind him in a pitcher's park is a recipe for a low BABIPA. If he maintains his command and the like, there's no reason he can't keep his ERA below (or at least around) 4.00 at season's end.

As for "walks too many", drop his first start (6BB in 3.2IP) from his stats and all of a sudden his walk rate looks fine. Not great, but fine.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers