Jason Bergmann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Bergmann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby abrunn11 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 am

Who knows if he is a fluke or not? Who cares if he is a fluke? What difference does it make? Pick him up and ride him out while he is hot. If you do not have someone on your roster that you can drop for him then you do not need to worry about small things like this because you will easily win your league.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 9:57 am

I don't know how he does it???? Mostly, I don't know how he Ks as many guys as he does. If anyone has seen him pitch he would be lucky to have avg stuff. The guy rarely breaks 90 and doesn't have any kind of great curve/slider and he's not even a lefty. I'd say its only a matter of time until he starts getting blown up.....but hey everyone has a fighting chance when they pitch in the NL so who knows?

I'd say deal him if you can find a buyer, it won't be long before you'll just end up dropping him. Just my opinion, of course!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 am

J35J wrote:I'd say deal him if you can find a buyer, it won't be long before you'll just end up dropping him. Just my opinion, of course!

I agree with your opinion, except that I'm plugging him in favorable matchups until the time comes to drop him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 10:29 am

StlSluggers wrote:
J35J wrote:I'd say deal him if you can find a buyer, it won't be long before you'll just end up dropping him. Just my opinion, of course!

I agree with your opinion, except that I'm plugging him in favorable matchups until the time comes to drop him.

Which is fine.....I'm just saying don't expect it to last very much longer. By all means ride it out but if you want value in his spot a month from now it will probably be another pitcher.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pirates4Life » Tue May 15, 2007 10:32 am

J35J wrote:I don't know how he does it???? Mostly, I don't know how he Ks as many guys as he does. If anyone has seen him pitch he would be lucky to have avg stuff. The guy rarely breaks 90 and doesn't have any kind of great curve/slider and he's not even a lefty. I'd say its only a matter of time until he starts getting blown up.....but hey everyone has a fighting chance when they pitch in the NL so who knows?

I'd say deal him if you can find a buyer, it won't be long before you'll just end up dropping him. Just my opinion, of course!

Not sure which guy you're watching, because I've watched several of his starts and his fastball is consistently in the 90-92 range and I've seen it as high as 94, but not very often. There's also more than a 10 mph difference between his fastball and curve, both of which he's throwing for quality strikes. A couple years ago in the minors, he had more velocity than that, but his success has been from locating all of his pitches.

All of his pitches seem to have decent movement and he's also doing a nice job throwing his breaking stuff for strikes. Get ahead of major league hitters and the strikeouts will be there with his kind of stuff.

Again, no, he's not going to be this good all year. But he does have some pretty good stuff.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 am

Pirates4Life wrote:
J35J wrote:I don't know how he does it???? Mostly, I don't know how he Ks as many guys as he does. If anyone has seen him pitch he would be lucky to have avg stuff. The guy rarely breaks 90 and doesn't have any kind of great curve/slider and he's not even a lefty. I'd say its only a matter of time until he starts getting blown up.....but hey everyone has a fighting chance when they pitch in the NL so who knows?

Not sure which guy you're watching, because I've watched several of his starts and his fastball is consistently in the 90-92 range and I've seen it as high as 94, but not very often. There's also more than a 10 mph difference between his fastball and curve, both of which he's throwing for quality strikes. A couple years ago in the minors, he had more velocity than that, but his success has been from locating all of his pitches.

All of his pitches seem to have decent movement and he's also doing a nice job throwing his breaking stuff for strikes. Get ahead of major league hitters and the strikeouts will be there with his kind of stuff.

Again, no, he's not going to be this good all year. But he does have some pretty good stuff.

I guess you've seen more of him than I have, which wouldn't surprise me because I haven't seen a ton of him. But nothing I've seen him throw up there has been anything but avg. I will agree he is hitting his spots with most of his pitches.....That will be the key, obviously, for his success now and long term....control of all his pitches. But now we're getting into the obvious..... :-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 am

It's not always stuff that makes you a good pitcher. He's obviously doing a great job of keeping hitters off balance and has very good command. He's not much different from someone like John Maine IMO. Should be a very serviceable pitcher this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 11:03 am

Yoda wrote:It's not always stuff that makes you a good pitcher. He's obviously doing a great job of keeping hitters off balance and has very good command. He's not much different from someone like John Maine IMO. Should be a very serviceable pitcher this year.

I agree, but without good stuff you have to be a very good "pitcher" in every other aspect of pitching. In other words hes nothing more than every other #4 or #5 pitcher in the game except so far he's hitting his spots and throwing all his pitches for strikes. I'd say the odds are in his favor to be nothing more than a #4 or #5 type guy then a guy that puts it all together like Maine has.....but really, Maine was a good pitcher in the minors as well. Berg was just avg in the Minors. With that said, I hope he continues doing well. I've said before that I'm a pitchers guy and would love nothing more than to see more good pitchers in the league. I just don't see it with him though....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Tue May 15, 2007 11:22 am

.193 BABIP against, sell high~.

He's a decent little pitcher, good K rate, walks too many, flyball pitcher but can get away with it in that park. However with a BABIP like that a pitcher is going to look great no matter what. When that reverts to normal you are looking at 5th tier or lower fantasy pitcher unless he fixes those walks in a hurry.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue May 15, 2007 11:30 am

Ender wrote:.193 BABIP against, sell high~.

He's a decent little pitcher, good K rate, walks too many, flyball pitcher but can get away with it in that park. However with a BABIP like that a pitcher is going to look great no matter what. When that reverts to normal you are looking at 5th tier or lower fantasy pitcher unless he fixes those walks in a hurry.

He was 4.10 BB/9 in the minors as well......don't think that will change much up here.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers