College Laptop - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

College Laptop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: College Laptop

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:18 am

Ok, I just built a DELL Inspiron E1505 and a DELL XPS M1210 with virtually almost identical specifications and this is what I got:

XPS M1210:
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
A/V COMMUNICATION PACKAGE: None
MEMORY: 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
HARD DRIVE: Speed: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
VIDEO CARD: Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
SOUND OPTIONS: Integrated Audio

BATTERY OPTIONS: 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
POWER OPTIONS: 65 Watt Spare AC Adapter
ESSENTIAL BUNDLES: Core Bundle: 2-outlet surge, 1GB flash drive, wireless optical mouse
CARRYING CASES: Dell Nylon Deluxe Carrying Case
WIRELESS CARDS: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

PRODUCTIVITY: Microsoft® Office Small Business 2007-includes Publisher + Outlook2007
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY: McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months
PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE!: No Entertainment software pre-installed
FAMILY SECURITY & UTILITIES: Spy Sweeper - Award-winning spyware protection

WARRANTY AND SERVICE: 2Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION: Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 2Yr Warr.
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS: No ISP requested

PRICE: $2,007

Inspiron E1505:
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
LCD PANEL: 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
HARD DRIVE: Speed: 100GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
VIDEO CARD: 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
SOUND OPTIONS: Integrated Audio

BATTERY OPTIONS: 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
POWER OPTIONS: 90 Watt Spare AC Adapter
ESSENTIAL BUNDLES: Core Bundle: 2-outlet surge, 1GB flash drive, wireless optical mouse
CARRYING CASES: Dell Nylon Deluxe Carrying Case
WIRELESS CARDS: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS: Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

PRODUCTIVITY: Microsoft® Office Small Business 2007-includes Publisher + Outlook2007
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY: McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months
PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE!: No Entertainment software pre-installed
FAMILY SECURITY & UTILITIES: Spy Sweeper - Award-winning spyware protection

WARRANTY AND SERVICE: 2Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION: Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 2Yr Warr.
GETTING-STARTED HELP: No Dell On Call
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS: No ISP requested

PRICE: $2,185

So the Insprion, despite having 60GB less of hard drive space, costs me about $200 more (The Insprion didn't have a 160GB (7200 RPM) hard drive available. The best available was 100GB (7200 RPM) or 160 GB (5400 RPM)). XPS the way to go?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:02 pm

Try building a laptop with similar specs from HP and Gateway. See what you come up with.

Also check out NewEgg for good deals on high-end laptops. If you're looking to spend about 2 grand, you might want to see what Toshiba has as well.

That said, if you are willing to spend 2 grand, I'd argue you'd be better served buying a lower-end $1,000 laptop and replacing it sooner. For instance, people are willing to spend a lot more for a laptop with the justification that they want to have it for 5 or 6 years. I'd recommend you spend less, and replace it in 3.

I don't care for the XPS because I feel like you're paying more for merely the distinction of a high end laptop and fancy case. Dell bought Alienware a few years ago and have been releasing their PC's as the XPS, and it has been argued that some of these displays have "light leak."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bceagles04 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 pm

I checked the Fairfield website today, and while they support all PC's, they prefer Dell. So basically my decision is this: Dell or Mac. Thoughts? Once I figure this out, my decision should be much easier.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby roninmedia » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:14 pm

:^

You know your college has an obvious sponsorship to Dell. Dell has no special unique parts under the hood; all the parts in the machine are available anywhere. If you're an arts/design major, choose a Mac. Otherwise, get the best PC you can get for your budget.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:47 pm

roninmedia wrote::^

You know your college has an obvious sponsorship to Dell. Dell has no special unique parts under the hood; all the parts in the machine are available anywhere. If you're an arts/design major, choose a Mac. Otherwise, get the best PC you can get for your budget.

exactly...there isnt anything you cant do on an hp that you can do on a dell, and vice versa. what i suggest is this....
get a list of things that you want in your computer. hard drive space, ram, screen size, etc... and go to the websites of each company (dell and hp). dont pay for "extra things", just do what you have on your list. compare the prices and special offers they are advertising and then choose from there. dont make up your mind first, and then go to the website.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
roninmedia wrote::^

exactly...there isnt anything you cant do on an hp that you can do on a dell, and vice versa. what i suggest is this....
get a list of things that you want in your computer. hard drive space, ram, screen size, etc... and go to the websites of each company (dell and hp). dont pay for "extra things", just do what you have on your list. compare the prices and special offers they are advertising and then choose from there. dont make up your mind first, and then go to the website.

I couldn't agree more; in fact, this is the sort of thing Universities are starting to get in trouble for, only specifically for pushing certain lenders or financial aid companies. For the university to tell you they "prefer Dell" is like when a NASCAR driver tells you they prefer Pepsi. It's meaningless, these computer all have the same parts and the only that could possibly need technical support will more than likely be the operating system.

What eats me even more is that they somehow support Macs too... as if Mac is the opposite of "Dell." Do they support the Mac and Dell hardware, or do they support Windows and OS X? It's absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder how many universities Dell is paying to tell their incoming students they "prefer" Dell. I bet they also prefer you bring a Sony television, a Black & Decker microwave and a Westinghouse mini fridge. For beer pong, the school recommends you use only the finest Butterfly ping pong balls and be sure to use treat your hangover with Bayer Extra Strength Aspirin; for the toughest pain!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 am

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
roninmedia wrote:You know your college has an obvious sponsorship to Dell. Dell has no special unique parts under the hood; all the parts in the machine are available anywhere. If you're an arts/design major, choose a Mac. Otherwise, get the best PC you can get for your budget.

I couldn't agree more; in fact, this is the sort of thing Universities are starting to get in trouble for, only specifically for pushing certain lenders or financial aid companies. For the university to tell you they "prefer Dell" is like when a NASCAR driver tells you they prefer Pepsi. It's meaningless, these computer all have the same parts and the only that could possibly need technical support will more than likely be the operating system.

What eats me even more is that they somehow support Macs too... as if Mac is the opposite of "Dell." Do they support the Mac and Dell hardware, or do they support Windows and OS X? It's absolutely ridiculous.

That's what I've been trying to say. Don't be so narrow minded in your search just b/c the school throws the Dell name out there.

As far as a school supporting both Mac and Dell, I know for VT it is different for different schools within the college. For example, the business school requires a PC, but isn't very specific, where engineering requires a tablet PC; other departments such as Comm or music require a Mac.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby ukrneal » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 am

If you have a good screen and lots of RAM, you just should do just fine regardless what you buy.

Keep in mind there are lots of cheap add-ons from external drives (for 120-130 you can get a 160 GB portable drive - for the same amount a 320 or 500 GB non-portable drive) to keyboards and monitors.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk