Matt Capps... closer soon! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Capps... closer soon!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Capps... closer soon!

Postby Wright stuff » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:05 pm

With the erratic play of Torres, is there any projections that Matt Capps will become the new closer for he Bucs.
Wright stuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shark » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 pm

It has been said already that Torres is the man in Pittsburgh. And even thaugh, any closer option in Pittsburgh is not a great one.
Shark
College Coach
College Coach

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:48 pm

i agree because pitssburghs offense will not generate enough runs to make pitches eligible to close out games and obtain saves :~(
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:12 pm

You can say the same thing about the D-rays, Astros, Cardinals, and Royals Nats SF, LAD, SD about not having a good offense. Torres will get his opportunities. The Bucs offense is middle of the pack, not terrible.

Capps won't get the opps unless Torres goes down w/ injury.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 pm

Shouldn't it read: 'Matt Capps... closer soon?'
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:You can say the same thing about the D-rays, Astros, Cardinals, and Royals Nats SF, LAD, SD about not having a good offense. Torres will get his opportunities. The Bucs offense is middle of the pack, not terrible.

This is exactly right.

And even with a bad offense, Gonzalez/Torres combined for 36 saves last year, which is certainly respectable.

I'd rather have Torres than a lot of closers this year. That same "bad" Pirates offense means that when they do win, they are likely to be close wins (to wit, 6 Pirate wins, 5 Torres saves so far).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby River Rat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks mak1277 for letting us know just that. Torres, Reyes, and all the closers on horrible teams will get their fare share of chances!

When the Nationals start to get their act together... Zimmerman and they get Nick Johnson back, they will start winning a lot more close games... Chad Cordero will become a very useful closer again...

At the moment, they keep getting blown up though....
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:04 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Drunken Rhino wrote:You can say the same thing about the D-rays, Astros, Cardinals, and Royals Nats SF, LAD, SD about not having a good offense. Torres will get his opportunities. The Bucs offense is middle of the pack, not terrible.

This is exactly right.

And even with a bad offense, Gonzalez/Torres combined for 36 saves last year, which is certainly respectable.

I'd rather have Torres than a lot of closers this year. That same "bad" Pirates offense means that when they do win, they are likely to be close wins (to wit, 6 Pirate wins, 5 Torres saves so far).

seconded. the team doesn't seem to matter too terribly much. a closer will still get theirs. just depends on whether or not they squander their chances. i also like to own closers on bad teams because they are much cheaper to come by than closers on good teams.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheWinPlan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:05 pm

I wouldn't want to own any closer from Pittsburgh or KC unless they're studs.

Since it's not the case with Pittsburgh's Torres or even Capps, i would say to pass on those.

Where were you when they said that B.J. Ryan was going on the DL? It's from these teams you need to pick up closers.
TheWinPlan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmendro » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm

TheWinPlan wrote:I wouldn't want to own any closer from Pittsburgh or KC unless they're studs.

Since it's not the case with Pittsburgh's Torres or even Capps, i would say to pass on those.

Where were you when they said that B.J. Ryan was going on the DL? It's from these teams you need to pick up closers.

I love these discussions. There was some research done by I think sportsline regarding closers and who gets the most save chances, winning teams or losing team. Outside of like the top 5 closers every year, losing teams tend to get more save chances because they don't tend to score enough runs to make a win a non-save chance. I'll dig up the article if I can.

Regarding Capps, I'm in a holds league, and I'm loving Capps right now.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates