If I was Mark Shapiro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cleveland Indians

If I was Mark Shapiro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If I was Mark Shapiro

Postby GradysBaby133 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:47 pm

This is what I would do. I know its early, but 10 games into the season I have already seen a few weaknesses that need to be addressed. These are my observations so far 10 games in:

- Kelly Shoppach - The guy is an absolute MONSTER behind the plate. He needs to get more work as our starting catcher, even if he isn't that great of a threat at the plate. He single handidly won the 1st game in Milwaukee against the Angels.

- Ryan Garko - He is a beast at the plate, but I see why the Indians were conserned with his fielding. He won't challange anybody for a gold glove this season.

- Casey Blake - My god, what the heck can you even say about him. He is god awful. He is a good BACKUP because of his posistion versitality, but this guy does not need to be starting, let alone hitting 5th.

- Andy Marte - Wasn't this guy susposed to have an awesome glove? Where is it at? He looks like A-Rod in the field. Unfortently, he dosn't look like A-Rod at the plate.

- Jhonny Peralta - Improved from 2006, but not quite at 2005 form. Still has some issues in the field, seems to be fine at the plate.

- David Dellucci - He isn't helping us one bit really. If Dellucci was the answer, I don't want to know what the hell the qustion was.

- Jason Michaels - Plesently surprised with his defense and discipline at the plate. Would like to see his PT increased.

- Victor Martinez, Travis Hafner, Josh Barfield, Grady Sizemore, Trot Nixon ect. - Right exactly where I expected them to be as far as performance goes. Pronk and Barfield are starting slow, but I'm not worried one bit.

- The bullpen - Plesently surprised as well. Roberto Hernandez looks like garbage most days, but the bullpen has, knock on wood, been one of the best in baseball.

Ok, So here is what I would do if I was the Cleveland Indians GM.

#1. I know you guys are going to hate my guts for saying this, but Atlanta despretly needs a 1st basemen, as the Craig Wilson/Scott Thorman combo is hitting a combined .182 with 1 home run this season. Now, don't look up my adress and come hunt me down yet, but I would send the Braves Ryan Garko in exchange for either Mike Gonzalez or Rafael Soriano. Both have a future in this game as dominant closers, and Gonzalez showed that last year. This puts Victor Martinez at 1B & Kelly Shoppach behind the plate full time, as well as adding one of the best relief pitchers in baseball to a already vastly improved bullpen.

#2. The Chicago Cubs have a few outfielders on their roster, but none of them are really living up to expectations. Alfonso Soriano, who could possibly move back into the infield if he defense isn't up to par, is hitting .245 with 0 HR and 1 RBI. Jacque Jones has the exact same stats. Matt Mourton is hitting .286 but with 0 home runs and 2 RBI. Cliff Floyd will miss the DL soon enough and go back home. What they might be able to use is a good left handed bat (especially when and if Floyd injures himself.) David Dellucci isn't a bad player by any means, he is an above average outfielder, he just dosn't fit into the Tribes plans too well IMO. Therefore, we trade David Dellucci for Cesar Izturis. Why Izturis? Because he is the second comming of Omar Vizquel with the glove, maybe even a tad bit better dare I say. Izturis plays 3B & SS, and the way our third basemen are playing now, Izturis could see a great amout of PT.

#3. If the Houston Astros want to compete this year, and in the future, they need to upgrade on a few posistions. They lack a CF, a MIF (for when Biggio allows the Astros to rid themselves of him) and a C. Package together Franklin Gutierrez (simply not enough room for him in our long term plans) Hector Luna (some clubs still see him as valuable, and his #'s are actually decent) Max Ramirez ( a top prospect & would be their catcher of the future) and since we would be getting a reliver in return, Jason Davis (he would be out of options) over to Houston for their ex-closer Brad Lidge. Lidge is still young, and I am not convinced he has lost it yet. This guy was a dominant closer for a few years in a row, a change of sceniory could really help him. The package above is more than enough, Davis is having a good year, Ramirez is who we traded our closer for in the 1st place last year, Luna is a fine MIF and Gutierrez is a top prospect.

#4. The Brewers are trying to make the playoffs and win themselves a world series NOW, not three years down the road. They've got a lot of the puzzle pieces together, but their their outfielders also arn't off to the best start (Bill Hall .180 AVG, Corey Hart .194) neither are their MIFs (Counsell .250, Graffino .217, Hardy .277.) We send them Joe Inglett who could help out at either MIF or OF. Also we send over promising prospect Brian Sikorski in exchange for Derrick Turnbow. Turnbow is just another reliver in their stacked pen, and be it a small sample size he looks back to 2005 form IMO. He could do wonders for our pen, and they despretly need a guy like Joe Inglett, so this deal couldn't be too hard to pull off. We even send another low-tier prospect if need be.

#5. The Devil Rays are growing very impatient with 1B-OF Jonny Gomes. He is about to be sent back down to the minor leagues, and rumor has it they want to rid theirselves of him while he still has some name value. Just to have a little extra power on the bench, we give away Roberto Hernandez and a very, very low tier prospect in exchange for Gomes. The D-Rays despretly need some bullpen arms, and Hernandez has 311 career saves and is coming off 2 impressive years with the Mets and Pirates prior to 2007.

These deals would be done around the AS break. So the 2007 Indians in the second half of the season:

Lineup:
Grady Sizemore, CF
Jason Michaels, LF
Travis Hafner, DH
Victor Martinez, 1B
Jhonny Peralta, SS
Trot Nixon, RF
Andy Marte, 3B
Kelly Shoppach, C
Josh Barfield, 2B

Bench:
Cesar Izturis (2b-3b-ss)
Johnny Gomes (1b-lf)
Casey Blake (1b-3b-rf)
Shin-Soo Choo (lf-rf)

Rotation:
C.C. Sabathia
Jeremy Sowers
Jake Westbrook
Cliff Lee
Paul Byrd

Bullpen:
Fernando Cabrera
Aaron Fultz/Tom Mastny
Rafael Betancourt
Brad Lidge
Derrick Turnbow
Mike Gonzalez
Joe Borowski

thoughts?
GradysBaby133
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby byfrcp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:55 pm

I doubt they could get 3 "closing" pitchers in one trade season.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: If I was Mark Shapiro

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:59 pm

GradysBaby133 wrote:#2. The Chicago Cubs have a few outfielders on their roster, but none of them are really living up to expectations. Alfonso Soriano, who could possibly move back into the infield if he defense isn't up to par, is hitting .245 with 0 HR and 1 RBI. Jacque Jones has the exact same stats. Matt Mourton is hitting .286 but with 0 home runs and 2 RBI. Cliff Floyd will miss the DL soon enough and go back home. What they might be able to use is a good left handed bat (especially when and if Floyd injures himself.) David Dellucci isn't a bad player by any means, he is an above average outfielder, he just dosn't fit into the Tribes plans too well IMO. Therefore, we trade David Dellucci for Cesar Izturis. Why Izturis? Because he is the second comming of Omar Vizquel with the glove, maybe even a tad bit better dare I say. Izturis plays 3B & SS, and the way our third basemen are playing now, Izturis could see a great amout of PT.
You have to be joking me. Why would the Cubs trade for another OF? They currently have:
Soriano
Pie
Murton
Floyd
Jones
Theriot

Why would they give up their utility IF for another OF? All Chicago talk is about dumping an OF.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Even though Garko is probably the most exciting fantasy guy out of the deal you suggest with the Braves, I seriously doubt if they would let Soriano or Gonzalez go for him.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:18 pm

I love it, Garko can't field for crap, but he would be perfect for the Braves... Gotcha.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:20 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Even though Garko is probably the most exciting fantasy guy out of the deal you suggest with the Braves, I seriously doubt if they would let Soriano or Gonzalez go for him.

Given that Atl spent all off-season strengthening their pen, I highly doubt it. Every one of these seems like a pipe dream, actually.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby bigwords » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Interesting analysis, but I don't see any of those trades happening.

1) Atlanta traded LaRoche to get Gonzalez. Think they'd be willing to part with him so soon for Garko?

2) If the Cubs have one thing, its a phalanx of platooning OFers. They don't need Delluci. Murton will eventually develop into an every day player, and for now, Floyd is just as capable as Delluci.

3) The Astros have a future CF. His name is Hunter Pence. Plus, I don't really think that Cleveland (and the HR-prone ballpark) is the right atmosphere for Lidge. Also also, Cleveland seems find in the bullpen. Never a huge Borowski fan, but they certainly have depth if Fernando Cabrera isn't even in set-up situations.

4) Why is Turnbow better than what Cleveland's got? Hardy's up-and-coming and they got a guy named Ryan Braun who will be better than the 3B you name.

5) I can see the Devil Rays trading Gomes, but as a below-average fielder who is better at DH, why would the Indians, with Hafner, be the team for him? Plus, you just hyped Garko as being what you want in Gomes??
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: If I was Mark Shapiro

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:28 pm

GradysBaby133 wrote:Turnbow is just another reliver in their stacked pen, and be it a small sample size he looks back to 2005 form IMO. He could do wonders for our pen, and they despretly need a guy like Joe Inglett, so this deal couldn't be too hard to pull off.

This post is awesome. :-b

But come on, no one "desperately needs a guy like Joe Inglett." :-b

BTW you'll now find this in the Indians' forum.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Cleveland Indians