Gulp! Commish Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Gulp! Commish Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gulp! Commish Trade

Postby gws226 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:08 am

Hey guys,

Im normally not the type of person that has a hot finger for the veto button, but this trade here needs some serious professional evaluation....

Here's the story.
First, this a trade between the commish and the last place team. The commish in this league is the only one with veto power, and he is normally VERY VERY opinionated about trades going through the league. We've argued his point of view so much over the years, today he posts this deal...

Commish: Gives:
Martin(LAD) + Valverde

Receives:
Utley

The team trading Utley does have a case to move him, he has Utley, Lugo, Hudson, & Upton @ 2B and is 2 need catergories are Closers and Catcher.

If the season ended today his keepers would be, V.Wells, Prince, Zambrano, Aram + Rookie Upton,

The deal does make sense, but should we be bitter someone else beat us all to the punch on this or cry foul?
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:33 am

Talk about selling high. I really like Valverde and Martin, but Utley is an elite player. Being that it's still April I'd say it's a maybe veto, maybe not proposition. I'd need to know more about the teams, league settings, past history etc. I'm on the fence with this one.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby TonyCee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:08 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this trade, makes sense to me.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigMusky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:46 pm

Gulp! catches more fish then live bait.

You need to make sure this guy is not commish next season if he is opinionated about trades and not consistant.

If he is vetoing every lopsided trade that goes through, this should not go through either. I personally would not veto this trade, but if the commish is shooting down other deals it is only fair that his goes down in a flaming blaze of glory.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 pm

The other side of the coin on this one is that he could say, given that this is a holds league, that Nathan went WAY too high. In my roto league, I would have really wanted a guy like Nathan in the 4th or 5th round, but in this league, I would've wanted to wait until 7 or 8, but just KNOWN that someone was going to overpay by using a very high pick.

In holds leagues elite closers lose a TON of value. Elite setup men gain a lot of value as well.

Therefore he could say that Nathan went way too high, Shields went a few rounds too low, and Weathers is enough to make up the difference because he's hot right now.

It wouldn't be THAT bad of an argument under the circumstances.

Did I mention I HATE holds leagues?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Taters » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:10 pm

This is why I will never play leagues with one person haveing all the power. Even if you hate this trade, and think its lopsided, what can you do? He/she has the veto button and you can't do a thing about it. This trade is a bit one sided, and should be talked about through out the league. But still, nothing might get done. :-t
Image<thanks alec03
Move over Mantle and Maris, the new blood is here!!
Taters
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 2muchchalk » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:11 pm

i would veto that. It is even worse if it is a deeper league like 10-14+teams.
2muchchalk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:17 am

It's not really veto worthy, but it is very bad.

Your problem is that you are in a league with a shady commish like that. He is very opinionated with trades and vetoes them if they are at all lopsided and then he puts his own crap through...sorry to say it, but you need a new league.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby gws226 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 am

Well thanks for the input fellas.....

In the end I requested a veto on this deal. There were many reactions in the league about it; and the commish did reject his own deal.... Although I agree you need to question things when the commish, and sole power authority in the league is negociating with teams on that level.

Yes, its a hold league, and I agree closer values are dimished quite a deal; but it seems every league I play in that has Holds closer value still remains high.... I never buy into it, but always get stuck with marginal closers as a result hehehe.

Apparently, this deal has everything to do with a deal I pulled last June. (from a lovely email from the commish stating I have no right to request a veto to a trade :-t )

Last June I traded
Mussina (yahoo rank 2 at the time)
Felipe Lopez (pre washington trade)
Bobby Jenks

for
David Ortiz

The deal went through without much fuss, and I still think its a completely legitimate trade in a keeper format.... but perhaps it was I who opened the door to the demise of this league???
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby prricci » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:12 am

people who cry about trades are bound to piss somebody off and shoot themselves in the foot later, when they may make a seemingly lobsided deal.

I would not have vetoed that on the surface as it is too early to determine that a manager has given up or there is collusion (unless you have knowledge of it).

However, if the commishioner has been a b_ tch about trades in the past and he chose to select himself as sole veto power, then I probably would say something and request a league vote and leave it at that.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner