Breaking in a Glove - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Breaking in a Glove

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:54 pm

I appreciate the responses guys, some guys on my team can dial it up to 86ish, I'll throw with them during warmups to break it in better. I think I'll place a ball in it and put it under something to help me shape the pocket (The glove is thick, not quite like a catcher's glove, but much thicker than a fielder's glove, it's too thick for me to shape just by hand)
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Mattress baby ;-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:36 pm

Old_Style wrote:I never used oils. I did it the old fashioned way by putting a softball in the pocket of the glove and tying a shoe string around it. It worked fine for me.
always how i broke in my glove for 14 years
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 pm

They make a foam that you cover the glove in and put it in the oven to help soften the leather. I would suggest that or shaving cream, I think there is a preferred shaving cream that has something specific in it. Other than that, I would do what others have said about shaping the pocket with a ball and tie it closed.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Beat the holy hell out of it. I used oils in my gloves in the past and they worked great. Also sent it through dryer cycles, tied the shoelace around the ball in the pocket, stuffed it under heavy crap, threw it around, flipped it inside out, etc. etc. etc. Anything that'll soften the leather without deteriorating it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby da1chipo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:45 pm

I'm kinda hesitant to heat up my glove in a microwave or oven...I think I read somewhere that it ruins the leather.

The thing with all these techniques that soften the leather is that it may soften the leather in places you don't want it to be softened. You don't want to turn your glove into some floppy mess (or maybe you do...I guess I have seen some people who like it that way, but I like it a bit stiff in certain areas so the shape of the glove is still there.

But I really do have no idea how baking it or whatnot makes the leather turn out, so I guess I can't really say with conviction.

I mean after a long while with enough use the glove will turn out like that anyway, but you might as well maximize its use, right?

Just be really sure that if you decide to use oil or whatnot, don't use too much.

As for having a "catch" I'm sure you can go to your local batting cage and catch the balls there; you won't tire out your arm throwing and you can catch tons of balls. Although I guess after a while the price gets to you.
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert

Postby mak1277 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:34 am

If you use shaving cream (which isn't a terrible idea) make sure it has lanolin...that's the substance that softens the material.

My technique was as follows:

I'd heat up a pan of water to nearly boiling. Then I'd pour the water into the pocket, and into the glove where you put your hand.

Then insert your hand (yes, it's a little painful with the hot water) and continually whip a ball into the pocket. 100+ times or so. This will help break the leather down a bit, but it will also form the inside of the glove to your hand. After that, I'd tie it up with a baseball under the mattress. Continue the popping with a ball every night until it's loose enough to play catch, then keep working it in.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby j24jags » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 pm

da1chipo wrote:I'm kinda hesitant to heat up my glove in a microwave or oven...I think I read somewhere that it ruins the leather.
Yea that is why I'm hesitant as well, I do not want to make a very expensive mistake.

The thing with all these techniques that soften the leather is that it may soften the leather in places you don't want it to be softened. You don't want to turn your glove into some floppy mess (or maybe you do...I guess I have seen some people who like it that way, but I like it a bit stiff in certain areas so the shape of the glove is still there.
Yea a kid on my team has a glove that is a flopy mess and I can't stand it.

But I really do have no idea how baking it or whatnot makes the leather turn out, so I guess I can't really say with conviction.

I mean after a long while with enough use the glove will turn out like that anyway, but you might as well maximize its use, right?

Just be really sure that if you decide to use oil or whatnot, don't use too much.

As for having a "catch" I'm sure you can go to your local batting cage and catch the balls there; you won't tire out your arm throwing and you can catch tons of balls. Although I guess after a while the price gets to you.
Yea I the price scares me a bit...

Thanks for all the responses guys ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WhiteHot » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:57 am

bigh0rt wrote:Beat the holy hell out of it. I used oils in my gloves in the past and they worked great. Also sent it through dryer cycles, tied the shoelace around the ball in the pocket, stuffed it under heavy crap, threw it around, flipped it inside out, etc. etc. etc. Anything that'll soften the leather without deteriorating it.

This is awful advice. You are confusing properly "breaking in" a glove with turning a glove into a floppy piece of crap.

Do not use oils. The oil tends to close the pores of leather, causing it to harden over time and become heavy.

Do not expose the glove to excessive temparatures. No dryers, ovens, roofs, car dashboards. It's leather...excessive temps are NOT good!.

The best way to properly break-in a glove is:
- Play catch - lots.
- Apply petroleum jelly (vaseline). A light application will reduce the stiffness of the glove, but won't clog the pores. Wipe off excess with a rag.
- When not in use, keep a ball in the pocket and a rubber band around the glove.[/list]
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dillpickle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:22 am

call over the fattest slut in the school and put it under the mattress before nailing the fat slut.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk