Ranking the Holders - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the Holders

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ranking the Holders

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:21 am

As I promised this weekend, here's a preliminary list of top "holders". It's based upon my estimate of holds, Ks, WHIP, and ERA. In judging holds, I tried to consider such factors as the quality and "handed-ness" of the starters (e.g., a team with lots of lefties will offer more opportunities for the RH holder), the quality of the closer, the overall quality of the team, the depth of the bullpen (will the holds be spread among several players?), and the chance that the holder would get an opportuity to close (which, IMO, boosts their value).

I'd be interested in any feedback from those of you who use holds as a category in your league.
1 Brad Lidge HOU
2 Eddie Guardado* SEA
3 Brendan Donnelly ANA
4 Chad Bradford OAK
5 La Troy Hawkins CHN
6 Paul Quantrill NYA
7 Rod Beck SD
8 Joe Nathan MIN
9 Tom Gordon NYA
10 David Riske CLE
11 Jose Valverde ARI
12 Francisco Rodriguez ANA
13 Chris Hammond* NYA
14 Luis Ayala MON
15 Brian Fuentes* COL
16 Joey Eischen* MON
17 Guillermo Mota LA
18 Paul Shuey LA
19 Shigetoshi Hasegawa SEA
20 David Weathers NYN
21 Scott Eyre* SF
22 Kyle Farnsworth CHN
23 Felix Rodriguez SF
24 B.J. Ryan* BAL
25 Mike Timlin BOS

*=LH
Others with potential include:Terry Adams FA, Kerry Ligtenberg TOR, Rheal Cormier* PHI, Alan Embree* BOS, Scott Williamson BOS, Scott Sullivan KC, Tom Martin* LA, JC Romero*, MIN, Mike Remlinger* CHN, Buddy Groom* BAL, Akinori Ohtsuka SD, Orber Moreno NYN, Mike Nakamura MIN, Scott Stewart* CLE
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:30 am

Thanks. ;-D This could be useful for those who's leagues count holds.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:32 am

I think Worrell should be in the top 25. Ya got a good list goin though. ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:03 am

Might have missed him, but Damaso Marte -- if Koch gets the job back for some reason (considering the White Sox moves recently -- wouldn't be a shock to me).

I prefer Marte to strictly a holds guy -- will get ya a few saves along with the holds.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:08 am

Someone from Atlanta -- might be ugly with 6 Fingers Alfonsucka, but I'm sure someone from ATL will get around 20 holds.

I think both Ray King and Berto Hernandez are outta ATL. Speaking of Ray King, he could be a nice source in STL (he should get the call before Kline).

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:58 pm

bell wrote:I think Worrell should be in the top 25. Ya got a good list goin though. ;-D

Ooops, my mistake. I had Worrell penciled in at #5 or 6, right around Bradford, and I accidentally left him of when I typed it in.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:Might have missed him, but Damaso Marte -- if Koch gets the job back for some reason (considering the White Sox moves recently -- wouldn't be a shock to me).

I prefer Marte to strictly a holds guy -- will get ya a few saves along with the holds.

I had a tough time deciding what to do in those cases where it's not clear who will be closing. I checked out as many depth charts as I could, and it seems like Marte is likely to be closing, not holding. So, I tried not to rank guys who are likely to be the primary clser. So I ranked Koch as a holder and I just don't seem him ranking that high.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:Someone from Atlanta -- might be ugly with 6 Fingers Alfonsucka, but I'm sure someone from ATL will get around 20 holds.

I think both Ray King and Berto Hernandez are outta ATL. Speaking of Ray King, he could be a nice source in STL (he should get the call before Kline).

Hernandez is with Philly. I've got him ranked about 40th, because I don't think he'll get nearly as many opportunities, given the strength of that bullpen. He'll battle Worrell, Cormier, and maybe Terry Adams, Jose Mesa, Turk Wendall, or Mike Williams.

I'm not sure about Atlanta. Last year their tops were 18 and 19, it looks like their offense and pitching have gotten worse in the off-season so far. They signed Alfonseca and Almanza as lefty and righty set-ups, but I don't have a high opinion of either one. Gryboski? Cunnane? Maybe if they gave Trey Hodges a shot, he'd top 20, but I think most of these guys will be lucky to get 15 this year.

Kline led the Cards with 18 last year and now he'll be sharing opportunities with King. St. Louis hasn't made big improvements in offense or defense that I can see, so I don't see a jump in opportunities. I have those two ranked in the 40s, with about 15 saves each.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:32 pm

My league uses holds and it is impossiable to find rankings for them. Thanks for the list it is greatly appreciated.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:44 pm

Marte will be closing...so will Joe Nathan, Riske, and Guardado probably. But I agree, if they don't close, they'll be great setup men.

I can't see Wickman getting the job over Riske.

Thanks for the list, I'm in a few holds leagues and never find any rankings except sorting by who had the most holds in 2003 in my Yahoo league (which will be closing soon I assume).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers