Stupid Soccer Mom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stupid Soccer Mom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 am

Highway's pretty extreme.

My dad made me walk home from a game once (maybe half a mile) when I was 12.

Parents who aren't honest with their kids aren't doing their job. Parents are supposed to raise their kids to be good, productive members of society. Telling your kids they are the best in the world doesn't do them any good (unless, of course, it's true).

I see it all the time with college kids my company hires. So many of them have an amazing sense of entitlement and really can't take criticism at all. It's sad.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dillpickle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Stejay wrote:My dad watches my football, baseball and soccer games and even when I perform terribly, he says I have one well.

Then he's doing you a disservice in the other direction. If you haven't performed well, and are a teenager, there's absolutely nothing with your parent letting you know so. The above article is a gross, neglectful manner of doing so to the nth degree, and the woman should be dealt with. However, I've seen too many parents who tell their children they're doing good, or great even, when it's clearly not the case, and it either leads to the devaluing of actual praise coming from a parent, or the child thinking they are better than they actually are.

I kind of agree. Not sure who all watches American Idol, but I always get angry when I see some kid trying to "make it to hollywood" making statements like their parents tell me how good I am or even their parents are there telling them how good they are and then they go in for the audition and it is absolutely awful (run on sentence, I know). It just angers me that a parent would let their kid make a fool of themself in front of millions of people on tv. They would rather let them make a fool of themself on national tv then be honest with them from the get go.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:17 pm

dillpickle wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Stejay wrote:My dad watches my football, baseball and soccer games and even when I perform terribly, he says I have one well.

Then he's doing you a disservice in the other direction. If you haven't performed well, and are a teenager, there's absolutely nothing with your parent letting you know so. The above article is a gross, neglectful manner of doing so to the nth degree, and the woman should be dealt with. However, I've seen too many parents who tell their children they're doing good, or great even, when it's clearly not the case, and it either leads to the devaluing of actual praise coming from a parent, or the child thinking they are better than they actually are.

I kind of agree. Not sure who all watches American Idol, but I always get angry when I see some kid trying to "make it to hollywood" making statements like their parents tell me how good I am or even their parents are there telling them how good they are and then they go in for the audition and it is absolutely awful (run on sentence, I know). It just angers me that a parent would let their kid make a fool of themself in front of millions of people on tv. They would rather let them make a fool of themself on national tv then be honest with them from the get go.

I think Sanjaya should be an unlockable character in the next Mortal Kombat game
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:25 pm

I was prepared to be outraged by this, then I saw that the girl was 15 and I just laughed.

Horrible parenting, but I don't think the kid was ever in any real danger.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

And then they show up on American Idol confused about why they're being laughed off the audition floor.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I was prepared to be outraged by this, then I saw that the girl was 15 and I just laughed.

Obviously you've never walked the mean streets of Lincoln, NE. :-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:19 pm

This topic is weird. I hate the sense of entitlement from the new generation, but I'm between that and the Boomers, and I'm kind of sick the other way sometimes as well. Boomers can complain all they want, but the sad realities are that it is much harder in this new world than it was in the past. Coming in, paying your dues, being loyal are not rewarded in any way shape or form. I'd toe the line too if I knew I was going to get hired, have a career track, get mentored and have a pension. Not many of those things are the case anymore. The cost of going to college is skyrocketing, where real wages aren't that high. The entitlement is bad, but the sad reality is that my generation and this current one are going to be calling the shots fairly soon, and maybe changing yourself would be help. That said, I have seen some very, very immature varieties of the entitlement generation, and it stems I think from this BS "self esteem" stuff.

I think people are horrified at Simon from American Idol, and while I think its important to go for your dreams, you need to balance that with a realistic assessment of your skills. Sometimes, you aren't as good as you think you are, or would like to be. But loved ones shy away from being honest, and you end up with a disconnect.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:34 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I was prepared to be outraged by this, then I saw that the girl was 15 and I just laughed.

Next time it might be. Instead of a slap with the back of a hand it could be a frying pan. Instead of leaving her on the highway she could be left in a bad neighborhood next time. At what point do you say enough is enough? Till she's dead? I don't care about her age. She's a kid in the care of her parent.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:39 pm

seriosuly, as if nothing bad happens to young girls in strange situations.

what if she let someone pick her up to give her a ride home?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to General Talk