Stupid Soccer Mom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stupid Soccer Mom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stupid Soccer Mom

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:57 am

This kind of crap happens everywhere, but this one is in my town this time.

It takes a moment of stupidity to have a child - it's as simple as that. It takes a lifetime of work and dedication and love to be a parent. Some people simply don't get that:

Mom accused of neglect after leaving girl on I-80
By the Lincoln Journal Star

A soccer mom, upset at her teenage daughter’s performance at a game Saturday, stopped along Interstate 80 and left her there.

Officer Katherine Finnell said the 42-year-old Lincoln woman was ticketed on suspicion of child neglect after the 2:30 p.m. incident.

She said the woman yelled at her 15-year-old in her car and asked her to repeat lines about improving her performance. When the girl messed up the lines, she slapped her. Finnell said the teen told her mom to pull over along I-80 near the downtown exit, so she did. That’s when the girl says her mom yelled at her to get out. She did and her mom drove away.

A teammate’s parent saw the girl and took her to their home, where they called police.

The Journal Star has elected not to run the mother’s or teenager’s names in an effort to protect the victim.

Article HERE

:-t :-t :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Wow. I'm glad my parents were never like this when it came to my performance in sports. :-°
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stejay » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:11 pm

My dad watches my football, baseball and soccer games and even when I perform terribly, he says I have one well.
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:29 pm

Stejay wrote:My dad watches my football, baseball and soccer games and even when I perform terribly, he says I have one well.

Then he's doing you a disservice in the other direction. If you haven't performed well, and are a teenager, there's absolutely nothing with your parent letting you know so. The above article is a gross, neglectful manner of doing so to the nth degree, and the woman should be dealt with. However, I've seen too many parents who tell their children they're doing good, or great even, when it's clearly not the case, and it either leads to the devaluing of actual praise coming from a parent, or the child thinking they are better than they actually are.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Stejay wrote:My dad watches my football, baseball and soccer games and even when I perform terribly, he says I have one well.

Then he's doing you a disservice in the other direction. If you haven't performed well, and are a teenager, there's absolutely nothing with your parent letting you know so. The above article is a gross, neglectful manner of doing so to the nth degree, and the woman should be dealt with. However, I've seen too many parents who tell their children they're doing good, or great even, when it's clearly not the case, and it either leads to the devaluing of actual praise coming from a parent, or the child thinking they are better than they actually are.

h0rt... Are you saying that parents should just be honest with their kids?

What are you thinking? ;-7
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby roninmedia » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Be honest with your kids, but don't get so angry with them. "Son, you suck at fantasy baseball, but I still love you". :-b
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Old_Style wrote:Wow. I'm glad my parents were never like this when it came to my performance in sports. :-°

if mine were they probably would have beat me to death as bad as i was
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:55 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Not just teenagers. If a kid tries hard he deserves praise. If he does not put in the effort he does not deserve this praise. He deserves to hear the truth, which is not that he sucks, but that he didn't try. If he isn't good at the sport he enjoys playing anyway there's no reason to point out talent, or lackthereof, but encourage his enthusiasm. There will always be someone better. For some kids, there's more than others.

EDIT - shared this on LightSide and might as well put it here too.

I wrote:I had an 'altercation' in passing yesterday at a store. Two mothers were shopping together, carrying their young children, one each. The children were months old, at the most a year. The two of them were cussing up a storm, bitching about how heavy their babies were, saying "shut up" to them, etc. One woman called her baby stupid at one point. So I'm walking by these women and for some reason I say, "Why did you even have kids?" :-b !+)

They got Ricki Lake on me for a second there and said something like "You ain't no momma!" I replied, "No, but I was raised by one and my wife is." Pretty much left it at that. They continued to complain about their children and roll their heads around their shoulders as I walked away.

I rarely do things like that and don't know why I did this time. I think the mother calling her baby stupid was the last straw and I just had to say something.

Anyway, I'm sad now..... :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:08 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Clearly he's a radical on the fringe elements of society. Pay this line of reasoning no mind. ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm

knapplc wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Clearly he's a radical on the fringe elements of society. Pay this line of reasoning no mind. ;-)

:-b

I understand a parent wanting the kid to do his or her best, but this mom needs a wake up call. Slapping a 15 year old? Leaving her on the side of the highway? Yeeesh!
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk