James Shields-looks pretty obvious to me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

James Shields-looks pretty obvious to me

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

James Shields-looks pretty obvious to me

Postby Bozo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:03 am

Tampa's James Shields has started 3 games this year with pretty much the same results. He appears to be very good for the first 5 innings and then implodes in the 6th or 7th. As a Shields owner (and a Tampa fan) this is very frustrating. Shouldn't it be obvious to the Tampa coaching staff that he is not ready to go more than 5 innings at this point in his career and maybe he should get the hook after 5. I'm sure they could slowly ease him into the 6th or 7th as the year goes on but, for the time being, get him out of there after 5. I realize a 5 inning starter can tax the bullpen but for the time being I think they've got to make the call to the bullpen a little earlier.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby godallahstar » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:59 am

you're right, but the bullpen is so bad that we're better off leaving shields in, it seems.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: James Shields-looks pretty obvious to me

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:19 am

Bozo wrote:Tampa's James Shields has started 3 games this year with pretty much the same results. He appears to be very good for the first 5 innings and then implodes in the 6th or 7th. As a Shields owner (and a Tampa fan) this is very frustrating. Shouldn't it be obvious to the Tampa coaching staff that he is not ready to go more than 5 innings at this point in his career and maybe he should get the hook after 5. I'm sure they could slowly ease him into the 6th or 7th as the year goes on but, for the time being, get him out of there after 5. I realize a 5 inning starter can tax the bullpen but for the time being I think they've got to make the call to the bullpen a little earlier.

can't go to the pen they suck worse than what he is giving up. Did you watch the game? He even looked decent when he gave up the 3 runs, he was over 100 pitches when he came in for the 7th inning, but they could not bring in the pen b/c they would do exactly what they did after shields left in the 7th--- give up more runs. In a perfect world he could go 6-7 IP and he would be fine, but thats not the case. He has gone over 100 pitches every start. They could use him to use his pitches more effectively and than maybe he wouldn't have so many pitches come later innings
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 am

A little off topic...but, I think the Drays have a bigger following in the cafe than at the Trop. I guess it has to do w/ the fact that the Rays have good fantasy players, and with such bad pitching, a pretty bad team.

Less than 10,000 last night....no wonder they blew the lead.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 am

If they take him out after 5 innings every time how is he ever supposed to gain the stamina to pitch into the 7th inning which is what I'm sure they want out of him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 am

Yeah, that bullpen isn't very good. He's may get shelled late in games but I don't know that the DRays have a choice.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Shields is a solid pitcher, but it looks like his stamina is not very long right now. If I was Maddon, I would continue to leave him in there as well though, because our pen is atrocious and we will need Shields to go 7 or 8 innings in the future if he wants to get some wins.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Houser33 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:50 pm

This sounds like Kelvim Escobar when he was in Toronto. Brilliant till the 5th but when the 6th rolled around he had lost all control. It could just be that Shields loses focus later in the game. If its anything similar to Escobar though, youre going to have to be patient as it took him about 3 seasons before he finally straightened himself out.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm

I would'nt mind him turning out as a healthy escobar in 2-3 years but yeah we need to be patinet

no one is expecting us to do great this year

in time we will improve our BP and our Hitters will develop

that being said we could very well by 8-7 right now imo.

Thanks to Alec03 for the awesome sig
BooksRnot4U
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:13 pm

8 IP 112 Pitches 2 H 1 BB 12 K 1 HR and he gets the freaking loss.

I HATE U STOKES
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays