Snell Ya Later - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Snell Ya Later

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BMcP » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 am

BTW, good thing he's no longer going by his wife's last name:
"Oquendo you later" just doesn't have the same 'cool' ring.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:04 am

im liking snell.
he has good stuff and he always pitches well.
he just needs run support.

and wtf is with jason bay, he needs to start hitting.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:14 am

he'll be fine as long as he keeps his walks under control. he's shown progress in that area.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby tianyi86 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:56 am

Wharton93 wrote:Snell broke out last year, but kudos to forumers who 'predicted' one this year. Not only did he win 14 games last year, he basically Ked 1 guy per IP in the 2nd half. You can count the number of guys who did both of these things.

As for saying how lucky he was because his run support was high--that's taking the right stat but using it wrongly. If you want to know why he was 'lucky' to win 14, it probably had to do with his good pitching. In his 14 wins, he gave up these ER: 0 0 2 5 1 2 0 1 1 2 1 5 2 1.

In his 14 wins, he gave up more than 2 ER exactly 2 times--so he needed help from that 'lucky' Pirates offense twice. The statisics that get tossed out make it sound like he needed 5.18 runs per game to get a win. Not true. I am sure most 14+ game winners need more than 2 runs scored once in a while. In the 2 games that he gave up more then 2 ER, the Pirates scored 23 runs. If your team scores 11.5 runs for you, you are likely to get a little sloppy and give up a few extra baserunners/runs as you just try to get the game over with.

FWIW, he had another 4 games where he gave up 3 ER or less but didn't get a Win.

That being said, nobody should have paid for Snell to win 14 games again--wins in general is a luck business, especially in today's game. But you should pay for skills and his K rate alone, particularly in the 2nd half of 2006, make him a good buy. Whether he wins 10 or 16 is anyone's guess.

Giving up 5 Unearned runs and still get the win is still lucky. The 5.18 is 5.18 run support over 9 innings. As for his team blowing the other team apart and him getting careless, that only happened once in his 3 "lucky" wins. You make it sound like he had a 5 run lead by the first inning and was just going through the motions, which clearly isnt true.

Having said that, look at Zambrano, Oswalt, and Carpenter, who we can all agree are better pitchers. Zambrano got lucky 2x, Oswalt got lucky 1x, Carpenter got lucky 1x. Now don't you think Snells 3 wins in which he gave up 5 runs or more is kinda lucky?

Also, Snell not winning games where he gave up 3 runs or less is only 4. Oswalt had 12, Carpenter had 7, Zambrano had 9. Now let that sink in a bit, Snell had 4 quality starts in which he didnt get a win. Oswalt tripled that, Carpenter had 3 more, while Zambrano doubled that. This all points to Snell's 14 wins last year as being lucky.

Factor in that Carpenter, Oswalt, and Zambrano all had higher run support / 9 innings then Snell, and that Snell won more games from bad outings than those guys, idk what you can call Snell's 14 games he won last year anything but luck. If you examine this among other pitchers, again you will realize Snell was lucky last season.

Heck, if his Wins from non quality starts and his no decisions from quality starts were normal last year, if he didn't get the highest run support of any full time Pirate SP, he would have been a 7-10 game winner last season. All in all, his last years wins were luck and a 15 win ceiling looks pretty accurate.

If you have Snell, enjoy his Ks, Era and Whip, but dont expect his wins to increase dramatically. Rather, be conservative so you won't be disappointed.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:19 pm

jlm53089 wrote:and wtf is with jason bay, he needs to start hitting.

Amen! :-P
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby pangbones » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:55 pm

I drafted him late in 2 of my leagues. I thought he was very good late last season, and was hoping he would improve some this year. So far so good. I have enough confidence in him to play him regardless of his matchup!! ;-D

Keep it up Ian!! ;-)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

;-D

He's got good stuff...might be the first Pirates pitcher to beat the "Curse of the Pirates' Ace" in over 5 years.

vvvvvvvvvvvv
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:;-D

He's got good stuff...might be the first Pirates pitcher to beat the "Curse of the Pirates' Ace" in over 5 years.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

Ahh that's where Snell Ya Later came from. I was trying to remember where I first saw it, and it was in your sig. Props ;-D

Just read this about Snell, something to keep an eye on:

Snell completed seven innings of one-run work against the Cardinals Monday night, winning for the first time in three 2007 starts.
Spin: He gave up three hits and four walks while striking out six batters. Snell said after the game he made it through the last two hitters in the seventh even though he felt his back stiffening up. He should be alright going forward but the condition of his back is worth keeping an eye on. Snell is throwing better than he ever has right now.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Snell's not the only Pirate's pitcher I'm loving this year...

(hint... the other one pitched tonight...)
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers