Lidge to TB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Lidge to TB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lidge to TB?

Postby bongovt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:15 pm

I saw someone mention this as part of another post in anohter forum...anyone hear anything about Brad Lidge going to the Rays to become their closer? Thanks....
"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...'cuz I'm gonna burn one down...yes I'm gonna burn one down!"--Ben Harper
bongovt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Lidge has all the talent in the world; we've seen that before. He just needs to get over his case of Pujols Traumatic Stress Disorder.

No player is untradeable, but the D-Rays will still have to give up something good to get him, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to take that risk.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Al Reyes is 4 for 4 in save ops for the Rays so far this season as their closer, and he has a 0.00 ERA and a 0.40 WHIP. They don't need Lidge as their closer.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hwiggen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Phil Rogers mentioned this in his column in the Chicago Tribune Sat or Sun. He did not make it clear if it was something he heard or something he just dreamed up. From the way it was written, it sounded like he just wrote it because it made sense to him.
Rogers is a good writer and knows baseball but seems incapable of seeing the big picture.
I'm guessing he's the one who started the rumor.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:48 pm

hwiggen wrote:Phil Rogers mentioned this in his column in the Chicago Tribune Sat or Sun. He did not make it clear if it was something he heard or something he just dreamed up. From the way it was written, it sounded like he just wrote it because it made sense to him.
Rogers is a good writer and knows baseball but seems incapable of seeing the big picture.
I'm guessing he's the one who started the rumor.

actually espn had it on insider last week.

and the rays more then likely wont do this due to the fact that lidge is...
1. exspensive. and
2. only signed for 2 more years.

granted of course they will probally entertain offers but i dont expect a deal to get done unless houston eats up his contract.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby damnitman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:16 am

I read somewhere the rays were actually interested in acquiring him to use/turn into a starter not a closer. Anyone else know bout this?
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:31 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Lidge has all the talent in the world; we've seen that before. He just needs to get over his case of Pujols Traumatic Stress Disorder.

No player is untradeable, but the D-Rays will still have to give up something good to get him, and I'm not sure if they'd be willing to take that risk.

Nice.... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby masterpinky0509 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 am

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:Lidge has all the talent in the world; we've seen that before. He just needs to get over his case of Pujols Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I think the Pujols factor is overblown. The problem is that in Lidge's first few years people would always swing at his nasty slider when he threw balls with it. Now people realized he very rarely throws strikes w/ the slider and can sit on the straight 97 mph heat. Not easy, but not hard--and you'll get walks laying off the breaking stuff.

The problem isn't that Brad has changed after 05 playoffs, the problem is that Brad HASN'T changed as the league has adjusted to him.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tulaneball » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:41 am

As an Astros fan and someone who has followed Lidge for a while now, the Pujols factor isn't overblown. I watched the HR in the playoffs, and Pujols is to Lidge what Lehritz was to Wohlers. He simply ruined his confidence and his career in Houston.
Tulaneball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jimpage » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 am

an interesting point about tampa possibly trading for lidge is that their gm is jerry hunsicker who used to be our gm here in houston, so he knows lidge very well and could think he could straighten him out...of course im assuming hunsicker is still there, i know he was last year, just dont follow the drays

yeah i think pujols is somewhat responsible for getting in lidges head, but i think lidges head itself is most responsible...which carries over to my next point, i dont think lidges problem has been that he DIDNT adjust to the league, its that he DID try to change after the pujols bomb...he tried to learn a changeup, now a splitter, instead of just firing fastball/slider...trying to work on too much stuff(closers dont need 4 pitches) only messed up his mechanics imo...wagner throws fastball/slider, krod mostly fastball/slider, rivera throws one pitch, a cutter...my point is that lidge needed to just stick with what was working for him, but pujols made him feel like a softball pitcher and got lidge thinking about everything else...all in all i hope we can get something decent for him
jimpage
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates