The game of Diplomacy (mafia players read) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The game of Diplomacy (mafia players read)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:45 pm

If the first game is for complete beginners, I'd definitely like to be in on it.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
J35J wrote:I can only use the Cafe's PM system.

Same here. If you guys are doing this through some IM service I'll give my spot to someone else.

I'm a PM-only guy as well.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:21 pm

I have AIM that I am allowed to access at work.

I didn't throw that in earlier.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:54 pm

I'd like to get in on this once I get home and will be able to spend more time on the cpu (Saturday). How long do the games take?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:59 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I'd like to get in on this once I get home and will be able to spend more time on the cpu (Saturday). How long do the games take?

Games can take a REALLY long time, the whole thing is designed to 'simulate' (sort of...) the diplomatic standoff before WWI and, as I mentioned earlier, the game is very well balanced so, if you are Germany, you can't go after France unless you line up Italy or Great Britain to help you. The moves are written down and revealed so, if Great Britain tells you they'll support your move into Picardy but changes their mind or is suborned by the Turk wanting their help vs. Russia or whatever, you will 'bounce' back to where you started, except France will now know that you've gone after them. Of course, they could also be 'working' Britain as well, to try to get them to help them.

I don't have IM but would be interested if the pace gives a couple of days or so for each diplomacy session before moves are revealed. I could do things at work but it's sort of hit or miss and sometimes I would be unable to do stuff until the evening.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:04 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I'd like to get in on this once I get home and will be able to spend more time on the cpu (Saturday). How long do the games take?

Games can take a REALLY long time, the whole thing is designed to 'simulate' (sort of...) the diplomatic standoff before WWI and, as I mentioned earlier, the game is very well balanced so, if you are Germany, you can't go after France unless you line up Italy or Great Britain to help you. The moves are written down and revealed so, if Great Britain tells you they'll support your move into Picardy but changes their mind or is suborned by the Turk wanting their help vs. Russia or whatever, you will 'bounce' back to where you started, except France will now know that you've gone after them. Of course, they could also be 'working' Britain as well, to try to get them to help them.

I don't have IM but would be interested if the pace gives a couple of days or so for each diplomacy session before moves are revealed. I could do things at work but it's sort of hit or miss and sometimes I would be unable to do stuff until the evening.

Yup, and to add to AcidRocks's answer, a full game of Diplomacy lasts no more than 20 turns usually. So if you figure 2 days per turn in the begining and 1 day per turn for the middle and endgame, then we are looking at 3-4 weeks per game unless you get eliminated early.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Leber » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 pm

I have AIM and have never played this before.
Leber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:18 pm

bleach168 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:

Yup, and to add to AcidRocks's answer, a full game of Diplomacy lasts no more than 20 turns usually. So if you figure 2 days per turn in the begining and 1 day per turn for the middle and endgame, then we are looking at 3-4 weeks per game unless you get eliminated early.

Whoa. Count me out then. I figured this was going to take a couple of days, I can't make a month-long time commitment to this.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Okay Art.

Player status's have been updated on the front page.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Nberan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 pm

I have AIM
Nberan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter