The game of Diplomacy (mafia players read) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The game of Diplomacy (mafia players read)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The game of Diplomacy (mafia players read)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:40 pm

I want to see if there is any interest in playing a new game called Dipolomacy. Well, I guess it's not really new since it's been around since the 1950's, but it works quite well played over the internet.

The premise of the game is you are one of seven European countries in the WW1 era vying for dominance.

"All units move simultaneously, with players writing down their moves during a negotiation period, and all moves are revealed and put into effect simultaneously. All units are of equal strength, and combat resolution contains no element of randomness — no dice are rolled and no cards are shuffled. The result of a move depends on the support or opposition of the units in neighboring spaces, making social interaction and interpersonal skills, the formation and violation of alliances, and calculated lying and backstabbing, crucial parts of the game play." - Wikipedia.

Here is a picture of the game board,

For more infomation, read,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_game

Interested
J35J (no im)
Afroman
pokerplaya
Big Pimpin (no im)
Wake (yes im)
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
ThatDude (no im)
Leber (yes aim)
Nberan (yes aim)
JTWood (yes aim)
Half Massed
Teddy Ballgame

Maybes
Roninmedia
AcidRock23 (no im)

I'll be happy to answer any questions in the meantime.
Last edited by bleach168 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:45 pm

I'd like to play but I'd probably rather watch the first game to see how it is done. If you struggle to find 7 then I'd do it but I'd rather watch first.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Half Massed » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

J35J wrote:I'd like to play but I'd probably rather watch the first game to see how it is done. If you struggle to find 7 then I'd do it but I'd rather watch first.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

J35J wrote:I'd like to play but I'd probably rather watch the first game to see how it is done. If you struggle to find 7 then I'd do it but I'd rather watch first.

I doubt we have that many people here who have played Diplomacy before. I would prefer that everyone in the first game be complete newbies to keep it fair. It will probably feel more like a practice game. Maybe we could limit it to just 8-10 turns. That way if you screw up, it won't be too long before we start a second game.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:11 pm

bleach168 wrote:

I doubt we have that many people here who have played Diplomacy before. I would prefer that everyone in the first game be complete newbies to keep it fair. It will probably feel more like a practice game. Maybe we could limit it to just 8-10 turns. That way if you screw up, it won't be too long before we start a second game.

I'm fine with that.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm

bleach168 wrote:

I'll wait and see the first game. I mean I get destroyed in RISK.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:13 pm

Also, much of the real game is played behind the scenes through private messages. You won't be able to get a good grasp of the game if you just watch the pieces move across the game board.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 pm

bleach168 wrote:Also, much of the real game is played behind the scenes through private messages. You won't be able to get a good grasp of the game if you just watch the pieces move across the game board.

If thats the case go ahead and count me in. I'll give it a go.

P.S. I'm generally not the best at RISK either.... :-o
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:25 pm

Count me in. That sounds great.

Plus, everyone likes me so my chances of being invaded are quite low.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Why not, I'll give it a go....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to General Talk