Tragedy at VT: At least 20 dead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tragedy at VT: At least 20 dead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:
eftda wrote:I was very objective when he started to his rampage but now I see that he has no point but to ruin video games. There is more information in books on how to kill people than in Video Games. Jack Thompson was a blundering idiot on cnn when he tried to explain how this guys video game play BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL (4 years ago) prepared him for VT. FBI (or whoever) raided the kids room and found ZERO Video Games. How does Jack Thompsons point look now?


I hate it when people try to make excuses for pyschopaths like this. He's completely insane and deserved to lose his life. I have no problem saying that. This guy did not kill 32 people because of video games. It's because he's completely disturbed.


And I have no problem defending this statement. :-D


I have a little more empathy for the mentally unstable. I'd rather try to help them than allow them greater potential to kill so many, including themselves. Unfortunately it seems in this case he was either denied help or those attempting to get him help were denied. I'm not fully read up on that part though.


From what I understand he did receive some counselling and it was probably more the responsibility of the 2 women who were stalked by him to charge him with these crimes to possibly get him even further help. I will not sympathize with someone who was capable of such a thing however. If he hadn't killed himself, I would be ready and willing to flip the switch myself.


Again, I haven't read up as well as I'd like before commenting, but I do recall a school teacher/official/counselor repeatedly trying to get this kid help from higher ups and repeatedly being denied. I'm guessing your flip switch potential comes from Catholicism?
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:05 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Counter Strike isn't even realistic violence. I was just playing it. The graphic blows, the physics is questionable, it doesn't feel "real" at all.


I totally agree. The concept of trying to kill someone and do it in such a strategic, methodical and accurate manner is what censorists will focus on though.


Counter strikes isn't even about doing the maximum damage with the best strategy, it's about achieving a goal for the team. Even if your role is the first guy to charge and face certain death.


Spoken like a pro ;-D

Do you think he realized this though? or that was his only glorified violent video game/ TV / movie etc influence?
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Counter Strike isn't even realistic violence. I was just playing it. The graphic blows, the physics is questionable, it doesn't feel "real" at all.


I totally agree. The concept of trying to kill someone and do it in such a strategic, methodical and accurate manner is what censorists will focus on though.


Counter strikes isn't even about doing the maximum damage with the best strategy, it's about achieving a goal for the team. Even if your role is the first guy to charge and face certain death.


Spoken like a pro ;-D

Do you think he realized this though? or that was his only glorified violent video game/ TV / movie etc influence?


What do I think? I think he's just a wacko, and his problems trace way before any video game influences. I'd like to hear more about his family. If a 23 years old goes out there and kill a bunch of people, the first guy I'd question is the parents.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby eftda » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Counter Strike isn't even realistic violence. I was just playing it. The graphic blows, the physics is questionable, it doesn't feel "real" at all.


I totally agree. The concept of trying to kill someone and do it in such a strategic, methodical and accurate manner is what censorists will focus on though.

eftda wrote:My point about video games still stands. This dude did not have a video game in his room before his insane attack.


That's not very important though. I'm sure I don't have to make a comparison showing that X doesn't have to be present in someone's home to effect Y action. Again, I want the anti-censorship argument to be as strong as possible, but this line of thinking won't cut it if you want to win a political/legal battle.


Im not trying to win a legal battle... :-°
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:34 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Counter Strike isn't even realistic violence. I was just playing it. The graphic blows, the physics is questionable, it doesn't feel "real" at all.


I totally agree. The concept of trying to kill someone and do it in such a strategic, methodical and accurate manner is what censorists will focus on though.


Counter strikes isn't even about doing the maximum damage with the best strategy, it's about achieving a goal for the team. Even if your role is the first guy to charge and face certain death.


Spoken like a pro ;-D

Do you think he realized this though? or that was his only glorified violent video game/ TV / movie etc influence?


What do I think? I think he's just a wacko, and his problems trace way before any video game influences. I'd like to hear more about his family. If a 23 years old goes out there and kill a bunch of people, the first guy I'd question is the parents.


Exactly, I'm not near enough or do I know enough information about him. I am close to those in the metal health field and will find out more, eventually. If it's something you guys haven't already figured it out by then(likely), I'll share.

I guess one could make a Bonds comparison to counterstrike in the context you mention it. Counterstirke would be the whipping boy for an overrated and not fully understood problem. I guess if religion is ok, so is Bonds. :-b I understand if this portion of my post disappears.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 am

Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby Mugrila » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:22 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Um, is the old news or has no one else seen this: 8-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqy6ZRsQ8c&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pj9i3hgRg



What makes me sick is them actually releasing the video. That's obviously what he wanted so why give him the light. What if some other troubled soul sees how much attention this guy (I refuse to use his name for this same reason) is getting and feels he/she could be the one in the spotlight.

I am very sick of the media. The school has sent out more than one email to all students discussing unauthorized media members gaining access to or following students into dorms. Go away already. :-t
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Posts: 6597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:38 am

Mugrila wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Um, is the old news or has no one else seen this: 8-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqy6ZRsQ8c&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pj9i3hgRg



What makes me sick is them actually releasing the video. That's obviously what he wanted so why give him the light. What if some other troubled soul sees how much attention this guy (I refuse to use his name for this same reason) is getting and feels he/she could be the one in the spotlight.

I am very sick of the media. The school has sent out more than one email to all students discussing unauthorized media members gaining access to or following students into dorms. Go away already. :-t


He's a wacko and he doesn't make sense to me at all, but maybe that's because I'm a science person and he's a literature person. The thing that needs to be fixed here is that somehow we need to restrict issuing guns to person with mental illnesses. That's the only thing I see that is fairly easily fixable. I'd rather we as a whole go to tougher gun control, but clearly that's not possible.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:02 am

Mugrila wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:Um, is the old news or has no one else seen this: 8-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqy6ZRsQ8c&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pj9i3hgRg



What makes me sick is them actually releasing the video. That's obviously what he wanted so why give him the light. What if some other troubled soul sees how much attention this guy (I refuse to use his name for this same reason) is getting and feels he/she could be the one in the spotlight.

I am very sick of the media. The school has sent out more than one email to all students discussing unauthorized media members gaining access to or following students into dorms. Go away already. :-t


This is what bothers me the most at the moment. I don't live on campus and haven't been there much this week other than to go to the memorial and the vigil, and it still bothers me that all of the media is still here. At this point, they are just getting ratings out of us. There is no more news to report, as they have beaten it to death. I've had random reporters IM me and send me messages on facebook, and it is very annoying. I didn't realize they were stalking people on campus as well. I was talking about it with one of my friends because I had decided I was going to go on razor strike and not shave until the media left, and my friend told me that Columbine didn't get off the news for like 3 weeks. Now that the college has decided to hand out posthomous degrees, I'm sure the media will make themselves comfortable until May 11, which is ridiculous.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 am

Wearing Red (Maroon) and Orange today ;-D Received an email from my college and they are trying to have as many people as possible do this on campus today.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact