will papelbon ever be a starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

will papelbon ever be a starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

will papelbon ever be a starter?

Postby Mariners44 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:58 am

does anyone know is francona plans on keepin him in the pen all year or eventully gettin him to start?? he hasnt been gettin all that much action anyways
Mariners44
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 am

He is the teams closer this year and that's all.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby A2J » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 am

Papelbon wanted and requested this move so I imagine it's going to stick for a while. His heart and his mind has always been on closing, even when the team was trying to make him into a starter. He's one of the best in the business in the role, and as a Sox fan, I hope it sticks for a long, long time.
A2J
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 am

If he can dominate again this year, and doesn't encounter any closing-related injuries again, I think he'll permanently be a closer.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:27 am

He has said he wants to be the Sox equivalent to Rivera. So you know he doesnt want to start.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby prricci » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 am

A2J wrote:Papelbon wanted and requested this move so I imagine it's going to stick for a while. His heart and his mind has always been on closing, even when the team was trying to make him into a starter. He's one of the best in the business in the role, and as a Sox fan, I hope it sticks for a long, long time.

I think your comment is a bit off. I do not remember him wanting and requesting this. I remember him stepping up and saying he enjoyed the role last year and would do it again if management wanted him to. He loves the role, yes, but "his heart and his mind has always been on closing" was not the case he was brought up as a starter in the Sox Organization. Prior to that he did save 7 games in at Miss St. in 2003 only.

I do agree that he wants to be similar to Rivera for the Yanks and he have the make-up to do so. He actually would be an awesome starter, if the Sox could afford to make him one.

Lidge to Sox? Please, please, pretty please! Paps will in all likelihood be the closer for this year even if Lidge or someone else comes mid-season, as by then it would be hard to "stretch" Paps arm out for a starting role by then.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby alchemy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:12 pm

When the Red Sox put Paps back in the bullpen, it was reported that it was at the request of Papelbon himself. He wants to be a closer.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... ed=rss_mlb
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby x_Momentum » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 pm

He told Francona that he feels more comfortable being Boston`s closer. Sucks how he isnt getting any opportunities. Boston either loses or wins by too many for him to get a save opp. Darn. oh well.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jimmy103 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:53 pm

He's not entering the rotation this year. They wouldn't do that to him. Next year it's a possibility depending on what they do with FAs
Win 2 more and then we'll talk.
Jimmy103
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates