Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:58 pm

Super Manny wrote:The Lincecum thread just got moved to the Minor League/College forum. I'd anticipate that this one will soon follow suit. :-t

Why is that a bad thing? It's not like they were deleted. We just have to go to the proper (see: underutilized) forum to check them now. :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super Manny » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Super Manny wrote:The Lincecum thread just got moved to the Minor League/College forum. I'd anticipate that this one will soon follow suit. :-t

Why is that a bad thing? It's not like they were deleted. We just have to go to the proper (see: underutilized) forum to check them now. :-D

It's not that big of a deal, but I don't understand why someone complained to have it moved. In years past, top prospect "Watch Threads" have been permitted to reside in the Leftovers forum. Just last year, I remember coming here to visit "Watches" for Cole Hamels, Jered Weaver, and Chad Billingsley, among others...

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby wake » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 am

bigh0rt wrote:

I don't see the need to have moved it if it was a popular discussion on baseball that was relevant to everyone (as opposed to a "should I pick up Lincecum" thread). I understand the need to keep some minor league threads apart from leftovers in order to prevent it from being overrun. However, if the topic has a lot of interest and there's a good chance the player will be up soon, I like having it available to multiple viewpoints. While I enjoy reading through the minor league forum, sending the 26 page Lincecum thread there is basically sentencing it to death.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:25 am

Super Manny wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

It's not that big of a deal, but I don't understand why someone complained to have it moved. In years past, top prospect "Watch Threads" have been permitted to reside in the Leftovers forum. Just last year, I remember coming here to visit "Watches" for Cole Hamels, Jered Weaver, and Chad Billingsley, among others...

You are absolutely correct.

wake wrote:I don't see the need to have moved it if it was a popular discussion on baseball that was relevant to everyone (as opposed to a "should I pick up Lincecum" thread). I understand the need to keep some minor league threads apart from leftovers in order to prevent it from being overrun. However, if the topic has a lot of interest and there's a good chance the player will be up soon, I like having it available to multiple viewpoints. While I enjoy reading through the minor league forum, sending the 26 page Lincecum thread there is basically sentencing it to death.

You are also correct.

I've been making more of an effort to participate in the Injury/Update Forum, as I think it's totally underutilized, and much of what should be there gets kicked into here (which isn't nearly as big a deal as a DTKW thread being here, as you guys noted), but instead of seeing a thread shot over there as sentenced to death, we should hop over and continue discussing it, and try and get that forum the sort of traffic it deserves.

Just one man's opinion on his 10,000th post. B-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby SignGuy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:15 pm

ABA316 wrote:Just traded him for Matt Garza in a 5 man keeper. Hughes would have cost slightly more to keep and Garza's likely to be in the bigs first. Granted I think more highly of Hughes in the long run but you gotta play for this year too.

:-t

I doubt Garza will be a big factor at all this year
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:55 pm

wake wrote: While I enjoy reading through the minor league forum, sending the 26 page Lincecum thread there is basically sentencing it to death.

Really. Death. :-?

I would venture to say you will get more knowledge from the Minors forum about Linecum and Hughes and others then you will get from the guys in Leftovers.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roamwood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:26 pm

This trade is looking particularly bad considering that Hughes is set to make his first start this week while Garza is still toiling away in the minors.
roamwood
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 pm

did you guys hear? There's a rumor in the cafe that Phil Hughes has been called up...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby High Heater » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:35 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:did you guys hear? There's a rumor in the cafe that Phil Hughes has been called up...

lol
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby joecahill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:13 am

did you guys hear? There's a rumor in the cafe that Phil Hughes has been called up...

Seems like this rumor got picked up by MLB.com:

link

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After a dominant 2006 season in the Minor Leagues, top Yankees prospect Phil Hughes was expecting his call to join the Yankees. Eventually.

The 20-year-old was probably fairly surprised to have his phone ring on Monday with a message that he'd be starting in pinstripes on Thursday night at 7:05 ET against the Toronto Blue Jays.

"It's a necessity for us, but they don't think it's the wrong time for him," Yankees manager Joe Torre said of the decision to promote Hughes, who has posted a 2-1 record and a 3.94 ERA in three starts at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this year. "We certainly had visions of him coming up later on, but we also preface that with, 'If everybody stays healthy,' and that hasn't been the case."

The Yankees' rotation has taken some blows early on this season, with Mike Mussina on the disabled list with a sore hamstring, Carl Pavano watching from the dugout with tightness in his right forearm and Chien-Ming Wang out with a strained hamstring. Torre said he wasn't sure what would happen with Hughes, or how long the youngster would stay up, but he said the team would take it "a start at a time."

Hughes fanned 10 last Wednesday, but Torre was more impressed with how the right-hander was able to fight through rough patches.

"The only thing I told him in Spring Training was, 'Just keep doing what you're doing,'" Torre said. "'Experience is the only thing you need. Bad things are going to happen; the true test is getting through those things.'"

Taken in the first round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft, Hughes was the only Minor League pitcher recommended to Torre by his advisory staff.

Across 26 starts at Class A Tampa and Double-A Trenton last season, Hughes went 12-6 with a 2.16 ERA, striking out 168 batters and walking 34 in 146 innings.

Dawn Klemish is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

So does that mean all of us "minor league" forum trolls can complain and have this thread sent back to the majors? Begone with Phil Hughes! You belong here no more!
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball