BJ Ryan (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

BJ Ryan (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JMoney » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:16 pm

so best case its a strained tendon in the elbow....what goods guesses are out there on the extent that this would set him back?
JMoney
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bwagner112 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 pm

I just think it all depends on how conservative of an approach they want to take with him. Considering the amount of money they invested in him, I would say they will take their time with him. I am thinking best case scenario....2-3 Weeks, Most likely Month plus.

Just my opinion though, just seems like if he is flying down to see Andrews...a 15 day DL stint is the best you can hope for
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby powenM » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:56 am

Think back to pre BJRyan days when the Jays had a lousy bullpen/no closer.

JFrasor was more then a couple times given the ball to close and he was terrible.

I live in Toronto, follow the jays to a Tee & have absolutely no confidence in this guy!
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:17 pm

powenM wrote:Think back to pre BJRyan days when the Jays had a lousy bullpen/no closer.

JFrasor was more then a couple times given the ball to close and he was terrible.

I live in Toronto, follow the jays to a Tee & have absolutely no confidence in this guy!

Yep. Frasor was so consistently effective that the Jays thought converting Miguel Batista to a closer was a good idea.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pope » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 pm

Any word on his visit with Dr. Andrews?

Hopefully there is no ligament damage. :-o
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JMoney » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:10 pm

pope wrote:Any word on his visit with Dr. Andrews?

Hopefully there is no ligament damage. :-o

no doubt.......its going to either make or break my team :-o
JMoney
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ROC AllStars » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 pm

The waiting is killing me. Any idea when we'll have an update? I missed Frasor on the WW before he was picked up, and had to go with Benitez, far from the healthiest man in baseball!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

BJ Ryan UPDATE

Postby tobias875 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:13 pm

per rotoworld:

The Blue Jays expect B.J. Ryan to miss 4-6 weeks due to a strained ligament in his left elbow.

Ryan avoids Tommy John surgery for now, but that still may be a possibility if he doesn't recover as hoped. Jason Frasor is set to occupy the closer's role in his absence. Shaun Marcum and Victor Zambrano are the fallbacks.
tobias875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pope » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Just a little rant if I may:

Baseball injuries are insanely frusterating to deal with as a fan. Clubs will give blatant misinformation concerning injuries. I am not convinced that his "back" injury this spring is unrelated to this. Teams always seem to paint a picture that is most advantageous to them, not the player.

For instance, it is difficult to tell why a player was moved to the DL. Did the team need a roster spot? Were they trying to prove a point? You just don't know much of the time.

As a fantasy baseball player, my teams have suffered many injuries. Through the years, I have been frustrated because of how bizarre some of these cases are. A couple of examples: In Jose Reye's rookie season, team doctors cleared him to play. Reyes refused. He did not play for the rest of the year. In 2003, Randy Johnson was injured. The Diamondbacks severely 'miscalculated' when he would return. His return was "a couple of weeks away" for over two months.

Just venting... I hate waiting for information when it comes to a player that is as important to my team as BJ Ryan.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby guffee » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:26 pm

4-6 weeks according to rotoworld.

They think tommy john might be a necessity if he doesn't heal, so let's hope and pray.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates