Bad move by JP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Bad move by JP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bad move by JP?

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:27 pm

If you are a Jays fan you know that Richardi has been getting free agents by having them agree to back end their contracts so that they fit within the Jays budget. The problem is that in a couple of years these free agents are going to be overpaid and past their primes = untradable.

This ain't Moneyball - My opinion is that he is trying to make himself look good in the short term so that he can get the Boston job that he covets and will be in beantown when the contracts become a problem in TO.

What do you think?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Padres19 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:28 pm

What boston job? The one Theo Epstien holds? I have a feeling Epstien is going to be there a while. Hell he JUST turned 30.
[list]Classic Jerry Colmanisms
[*]"Montreal leads Atlanta by three, 5-1."
[*]"They throw Winfield out at second, but he's safe."
[*]"Johnny Grubb slides into second with a standup double."[/list:u]
Padres19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 87
Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Friar Country

Re: Bad move by JP?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:05 am

Mookie4ever wrote:If you are a Jays fan you know that Richardi has been getting free agents by having them agree to back end their contracts so that they fit within the Jays budget. The problem is that in a couple of years these free agents are going to be overpaid and past their primes = untradable.

This ain't Moneyball - My opinion is that he is trying to make himself look good in the short term so that he can get the Boston job that he covets and will be in beantown when the contracts become a problem in TO.

What do you think?


Who's contrats are you talking about. I don't remember J.P. giving out any long term deals. I think those might have come before his time.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 389)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Bad move by JP?

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:39 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:If you are a Jays fan you know that Richardi has been getting free agents by having them agree to back end their contracts so that they fit within the Jays budget. The problem is that in a couple of years these free agents are going to be overpaid and past their primes = untradable.

This ain't Moneyball - My opinion is that he is trying to make himself look good in the short term so that he can get the Boston job that he covets and will be in beantown when the contracts become a problem in TO.

What do you think?


Who's contrats are you talking about. I don't remember J.P. giving out any long term deals. I think those might have come before his time.


There has only actually been one - Batista - which is a three year deal increasing every year. The scary one is the one offered to Rich Aurilia. Reports are that the offer is for more than a 50% pay reduction for next year (in order to fit within the budget) in return for balloon payments at the end of the contract. It sounds as if he is just trying to sign somebody in order to appear to be keeping up with the Yanks and Sox even though he doesn't have the budget to do so.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:37 am

Aurillia signed with the M's so no harm. Maybe J.P. was trying to jack up his price?
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 389)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby MauroGozzo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:41 pm

JP's moves this season have been genius.

Lilly, Hentgen, Batista for less than $8 million.
Bolstering the bullpen with Lightenberg and Speier at reasonable rates.

And we lose? Escobar - too expensive and less consistent than Batista.
BobbyK - would have trouble getting ABs anyway. Now paves the way for Phelps everyday at DH and less juggling in the outfield.
Hendrikson - good riddance.

Batista will be a solid Number 3 starter for the next couple years so I'm not that upset that he's locked up in a backloaded deal. Hopefully more wins will translate into more fans at the dome, which will translate into some more dough from Rogers.

When I compare this year's rotation to last year's, I get more and more excited about the jays in 2004.
2003: Halladay, Lidle, Sturtze, Hendrikson, Walker
2004: Halladay, Batista, Lilly, Hentgen, Towers
MauroGozzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

User avatar

Posts: 22
Joined: 5 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:55 am

MauroGozzo wrote:JP's moves this season have been genius.

Lilly, Hentgen, Batista for less than $8 million.
Bolstering the bullpen with Lightenberg and Speier at reasonable rates.

And we lose? Escobar - too expensive and less consistent than Batista.
BobbyK - would have trouble getting ABs anyway. Now paves the way for Phelps everyday at DH and less juggling in the outfield.
Hendrikson - good riddance.

Batista will be a solid Number 3 starter for the next couple years so I'm not that upset that he's locked up in a backloaded deal. Hopefully more wins will translate into more fans at the dome, which will translate into some more dough from Rogers.

When I compare this year's rotation to last year's, I get more and more excited about the jays in 2004.
2003: Halladay, Lidle, Sturtze, Hendrikson, Walker
2004: Halladay, Batista, Lilly, Hentgen, Towers


I agree. If Towers can keep it up and become "Jimmy Key Lite" then we have a much better rotation than last year.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:45 am

MauroGozzo wrote:Hopefully more wins will translate into more fans at the dome, which will translate into some more dough from Rogers.


Did you know that Mr. Rogers has a bed in his office? I thought that was kinda cool. Me and my friend were snooping around in there when he was on a business trip. My friend's mom works for him.
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba


Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Philadelphia at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact