MLB.TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 4:19 pm

dchaney297 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:

I realize people like to "fill up" their screens, but I don't understand why anyone would want to distort the picture by changing the aspect ratio. To each his own I guess.

I know what you mean. I HATE watching someones widescreen TV, the picture is not in HD therefore it's 16:9 and they "zoom" the image. It just bugs me! <G>

16:9 is widescreen what do you mean? When they stretch it to 16:9.

Stretching 5:4 to 16:9 looks terrible

Yea that stinks..I'm telling you though putting the aspect ratio to make the bars on top/bottom is the way to go
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dchaney297 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:

I realize people like to "fill up" their screens, but I don't understand why anyone would want to distort the picture by changing the aspect ratio. To each his own I guess.

I know what you mean. I HATE watching someones widescreen TV, the picture is not in HD therefore it's 16:9 and they "zoom" the image. It just bugs me! <G>

16:9 is widescreen what do you mean? When they stretch it to 16:9.

Stretching 5:4 to 16:9 looks terrible

Yea that stinks..I'm telling you though putting the aspect ratio to make the bars on top/bottom is the way to go

Oops my bad.

E:dchaney297(1)
dchaney297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zEli173 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

16:9 is the widescreen apect ratio used by HDTV and 4:3 is the traditonal aspect ration used by standard def. TV. When a viewer wants to fill up a widescreen TV with a 4:3 picture there is typically a choice to either stretch the picture or crop and zoom (or do a little bit of both).

An SD picture that is sent to your TV is 4:3, you don't create a wider field of view by filling up your screen, you just distort the image you have. In my opinion stretching or zooming a picture just looks bad. I understand that side bars are distracting, but I certainly would rather put up with them and display the image the way it's meant to be seen.

221:100 is even wider than 16:9. When you change the aspect ratio to that, you are distorting the image even further. And since you're making the image wider than your TV, you are not only watching a distorted picture, but one with bars on the top and bottom. Again, if that's what you like, then more power to you. But I don't get why anyone would prefer it.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 pm

zEli173 wrote:16:9 is the widescreen apect ratio used by HDTV and 4:3 is the traditonal aspect ration used by standard def. TV. When a viewer wants to fill up a widescreen TV with a 4:3 picture there is typically a choice to either stretch the picture or crop and zoom (or do a little bit of both).

An SD picture that is sent to your TV is 4:3, you don't create a wider field of view by filling up your screen, you just distort the image you have. In my opinion stretching or zooming a picture just looks bad. I understand that side bars are distracting, but I certainly would rather put up with them and display the image the way it's meant to be seen.

221:100 is even wider than 16:9. When you change the aspect ratio to that, you are distorting the image even further. And since you're making the image wider than your TV, you are not only watching a distorted picture, but one with bars on the top and bottom. Again, if that's what you like, then more power to you. But I don't get why anyone would prefer it.

Whoops I ment 4:3 and not 5:4.

Anyways I enjoy 221:100 because the clarity is better then 16:9 spread over a full screen.

221:100 doesn't look as distorted as 16:9 to me due to the bars.

Anyways its all about what you enjoy looking at.

VLC gives you lots and lots of options which is nice ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby zEli173 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Yep, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

I'd say the reason you like the 221 option is because the picture is more compressed. This isn't a very high quality picture. It ain't bad for an internet feed but, contrary to what mlb claims, it is not up to the level of SDTV. The more you blow it up, the worse it's going to look. Since you're not quite filling up the whole screen with 221:100, you're not blowing it up as much and I think that's probably why you like it better.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 5:43 pm

zEli173 wrote:Yep, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

I'd say the reason you like the 221 option is because the picture is more compressed. This isn't a very high quality picture. It ain't bad for an internet feed but, contrary to what mlb claims, it is not up to the level of SDTV. The more you blow it up, the worse it's going to look. Since you're not quite filling up the whole screen with 221:100, you're not blowing it up as much and I think that's probably why you like it better.

Right the compression looks nicer to me ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Oh man, who is sick of this Dick's commercial already? I want to strangle everyone in it, and it's only the first night I've seen it!
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SendHelp » Wed May 16, 2007 8:28 pm

LOL has anyone seen the new "commercial break screen" yet?

a pencil sharpener, a picture of some cats, a samuel l jackson star wars bust, and a milwauke bucks starting lineup figure :-?
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers