MLB.TV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zEli173 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:
My Exact setup:

Firefox browser with MediaplayerConnectivity Plugin
VLC Media Player setup to open with MediaPlayerCon. Plugin
VLC Aspect Ratio set to 221:100 to stretch to full screen but with the Bars on top and bottom like a widescreen movie

Dell laptop connected to Olevia 37" LCD TV via VGA cable. probably can use S-Video or DVI if computer/TV supports it

Taa daa

BTW: 221:100 I think makes the picture look almost like Standard DEF. In fact standard def is so poor on HDTV's that it may look better ;-D

Are you on a Windows machine? I'm trying to make this happen on my Mac but I can't get it going. I think the problem is there is VLC codec to play windows media files.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 1:16 pm

dooz wrote:what if you are using the "extended desktop"?

Extended desktop I believe will default it to FULL SCREEN.

I'm pretty sure that the only way to get it to not automatically go full screen is to set the TV as your 1 and only monitor then it should give you the option and not automatically go full screen.

I'm not sure about extended desktop
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby George_Foreman » Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 pm

AtlDynasty25 wrote:I love mlb.tv. 700k is wonderful quality. I've never had any customer service issues, because everything has worked perfectly for me. ;-D
Plus you get to listen to Skip Caray. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 1:19 pm

I think Maybe this should be a sticky BTW ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dchaney297 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Okay I managed to get mlb.tv working here at work on my laptop with Firefox and VLC.

Apparently the issue I was having last night was a known issue with Vista. I'm going to try the fix tonight.

Do I assume that the main advantage with VLC is that it's in it's own window as opposed to the bloated popup from MLB?

David
dchaney297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 1:33 pm

dchaney297 wrote:Okay I managed to get mlb.tv working here at work on my laptop with Firefox and VLC.

Apparently the issue I was having last night was a known issue with Vista. I'm going to try the fix tonight.

Do I assume that the main advantage with VLC is that it's in it's own window as opposed to the bloated popup from MLB?

David

Correct is in its own window. You can open multiple windows/games that way.

Its independent of the browser (memory free'd up)

And also if you put it on a widescreen(or any screen) you can change the aspect ratio.

I like the 210:100 or whatever it is.

That puts the bars on the top and bottom of the game rather then side and makes the game look cleaner on my 37" TV.

;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dchaney297 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:Okay I managed to get mlb.tv working here at work on my laptop with Firefox and VLC.

David

Correct is in its own window. You can open multiple windows/games that way.

Its independent of the browser (memory free'd up)

And also if you put it on a widescreen(or any screen) you can change the aspect ratio.

I like the 210:100 or whatever it is.

That puts the bars on the top and bottom of the game rather then side and makes the game look cleaner on my 37" TV.

;-D

Great, thanks again for all your assistance. I'm a veteran when it comes to working with and on PC's but the multimedia stuff sometimes goes over my head.
dchaney297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zEli173 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:24 pm

zEli173 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:
My Exact setup:

VLC Aspect Ratio set to 221:100 to stretch to full screen but with the Bars on top and bottom like a widescreen movie

Dell laptop connected to Olevia 37" LCD TV via VGA cable. probably can use S-Video or DVI if computer/TV supports it

Taa daa

BTW: 221:100 I think makes the picture look almost like Standard DEF. In fact standard def is so poor on HDTV's that it may look better ;-D

Are you on a Windows machine? I'm trying to make this happen on my Mac but I can't get it going. I think the problem is there is VLC codec to play windows media files.

Got it working. Had to update to the latest version of VLC for Mac. I am so happy about this. Many thanks to this thread.

I have been trying for weeks to find a way to get mlb.tv to play in VLC. WMP for Mac is aweful and Quicktime does not handle windows media well. It is basically impossible to watch games with either of those players. Either the picture looks terrible, the feed breaks up, or both. I had a good feeling that VLC would solve my porblems, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I called and emailed customer support, but that was obviously no help.

My intuition was correct. Everything is working great with VLC via Firefox/MPC. The picture looks good, the stream is smooth, and I can size the window anyway I want (including fullscreen).

I realize people like to "fill up" their screens, but I don't understand why anyone would want to distort the picture by changing the aspect ratio. To each his own I guess.

I strongly urge anyone watching mlb.tv on a Mac to use this setup!!!
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 10, 2007 3:37 pm

zEli173 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:
My Exact setup:

Taa daa

Got it working. Had to update to the latest version of VLC for Mac. I am so happy about this. Many thanks to this thread.

I have been trying for weeks to find a way to get mlb.tv to play in VLC. WMP for Mac is aweful and Quicktime does not handle windows media well. It is basically impossible to watch games with either of those players. Either the picture looks terrible, the feed breaks up, or both. I had a good feeling that VLC would solve my porblems, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I called and emailed customer support, but that was obviously no help.

My intuition was correct. Everything is working great with VLC via Firefox/MPC. The picture looks good, the stream is smooth, and I can size the window anyway I want (including fullscreen).

I realize people like to "fill up" their screens, but I don't understand why anyone would want to distort the picture by changing the aspect ratio. To each his own I guess.

I strongly urge anyone watching mlb.tv on a Mac to use this setup!!!

Glad it worked.

I think the 220:100 or whatever aspect ratio actually doesn't look too badly distored.
I'd rather fill up my screen then have th boes on the side but maybee thats just me.

To each his own. ;-D

Its nice that you can play multiple games as well....Glad it worked on your Mac for ya
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dchaney297 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:41 pm

zEli173 wrote:
zEli173 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
dchaney297 wrote:

I know what you mean. I HATE watching someones widescreen TV, the picture is not in HD therefore it's 16:9 and they "zoom" the image. It just bugs me! <G>
dchaney297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers