Studs and Duds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Studs and Duds

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Studs and Duds

Postby WebHamster » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:03 am

This thread contains comments on Saman Sepassi's Article "Studs and Duds", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on April 14, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 400)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:20 am

I really think Randy Johnson could be of some use this year.

Stats for 06

Player A
33 Starts
204.2ip
191hits
6.95k/9
3.25bb/9
1.58hr/9
1.29WHIP
BABIP of .270
LOB% of 69%
FIP ERA of 5.17

Player B
33 Starts
205ip
194hits
7.55k/9
2.63bb/9
1.23hr/9
1.24WHIP
BABIP of .290
LOB% of 61.8%
FIP ERA of 4.32

Both player played in the AL East last year and both player struggled with their ERA but got their share of W. Player A is widely being hailed as a breakout candidate or bounce back candidate. Player B...well, is Randy Johnson. Now I know Randy's injury is a concern, but besides that, there's nothing that suggest he can't go back to his glory in the NL

Player A is Josh Beckett by the way, and RJ beats him last year in just about every category.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Beckett is also 26, and Randy is 43, and on the downhill of his career. Even though the move to the AL East had something to do with his bad numbers this year, after posting a shockingly high ERA, combined with the SLGO of .416, there has to be some concern. With one of his highest WHIP totals since '92, when he was back with Seattle, and his BB/9 increasing and opponents BA increasing over the last while, I don't see this guy pitching as well as everyone thinks.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby cobbs87 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Nice article man. I agree with every one of your picks. Those are all guys I targeted/avoided. Keep up the good work ;-D .
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:51 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:Beckett is also 26, and Randy is 43, and on the downhill of his career. Even though the move to the AL East had something to do with his bad numbers this year, after posting a shockingly high ERA, combined with the SLGO of .416, there has to be some concern. With one of his highest WHIP totals since '92, when he was back with Seattle, and his BB/9 increasing and opponents BA increasing over the last while, I don't see this guy pitching as well as everyone thinks.

You like Beckett better than RJ? Beckett is staying in AL East while RJ is probably going to one of the weaker divisions. And 1.27WHIP really isn't bad
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I'd have to say I like Johnson this year as well but good article. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:13 pm

Nothing too surprising here, SG. I wouldn't mind RJ as a back-end starter for any rotation. True, age takes its toll, but even pitchers up there in age do find some measure of success pitching in the NL.

If you had written this article before the season, Felix would've been a great target on cheat sheets or in trades, but with two lights-out starts, he's going to be hard to acquire without having to deal a 2nd round caliber player in my mind. But I do agree that CC is a better target right now under the radar if you wanted to aim for an ace a notch or two cheaper.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:37 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:Beckett is also 26, and Randy is 43, and on the downhill of his career. Even though the move to the AL East had something to do with his bad numbers this year, after posting a shockingly high ERA, combined with the SLGO of .416, there has to be some concern. With one of his highest WHIP totals since '92, when he was back with Seattle, and his BB/9 increasing and opponents BA increasing over the last while, I don't see this guy pitching as well as everyone thinks.

You like Beckett better than RJ? Beckett is staying in AL East while RJ is probably going to one of the weaker divisions. And 1.27WHIP really isn't bad

:-?

No. I never said that.

Thanks for the comments. ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:41 pm

The duds are a little to ovbious, but the studs are great.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Return to Article Discussions