(756!) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

(756!) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: (755) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756

Postby manbearpig » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
manbearpig wrote:I thought I would be disgusted at watching Bonds hit that 756 long ball. I watched it live last night, and surprisingly enjoyed it. The whole thing felt wrong, but I couldn’t take my eyes off the TV. I still dislike his attitude as a person, he’s big headed, owes nothing to anyone, and it’s all about Barry.

Everyone knows he juiced, and if you still have a doubt take your blinders off. There’s only one thing I hate more than Barry Bonds arrogant a$$, and that’s the ‘argument people’. I lump this group all together as a bunch of half minded morons. Their argument is all around the same, some may vary depending on knowledge of the sport. Let me see if I can word this right so people know what group I’m talking about. This is what you have likely herd, or will hear the next couple of days: “Steroids or no steroids you still have to be able to stand in the box and hit those pitches, that takes God given talent, hard work and consistently. He is a great athlete”. (Other more ‘knowledgeable’ fans would now say, and I quote: “pitchers juice more than all other athletes in pro sports combined. Level field in my opinion.”)

I don’t really see why these ‘people’ feel the need to stickup for Barry. They might just do it for argument sake, and that just human nature, we are always right…Aren’t we?

There are not many other things in sports that compare to the greatness of hitting the long ball. You against the pitcher, your team isn’t helping you, and all your manager can do it give you a few signs. It’s like you against the world, you determine the outcome. Like I said, not many other situations in sports compare to you against the pitcher in the 9th with 2 outs when you’re down by 1.

A cheater is a cheater, whether you are willing to admit that Barry gave himself a clear advantage or not.

Like a great comedian says at the end of a rant – This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-manbearpig

Search for some of the Bonds threads here. You'll find much better arguments here than, "You still have to be able to stand in the box and hit those pitches."

I think you know the point i'm trying to make.
manbearpig
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:49 pm

The funniest part about this whole * deal is that Bonds has yet to fail a drug test and yet he is still hitting bombs. And doing it at near the highest AB% in MLB. But then again we need to account for his magical elbow pad which makes him swing faster and harder. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:40 pm

Yoda wrote:The funniest part about this whole * deal is that Bonds has yet to fail a drug test and yet he is still hitting bombs. And doing it at near the highest AB% in MLB. But then again we need to account for his magical elbow pad which makes him swing faster and harder. :-D

I think the Pad by itself can hit at least 30 bombs a year.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:17 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Yoda wrote:The funniest part about this whole * deal is that Bonds has yet to fail a drug test and yet he is still hitting bombs. And doing it at near the highest AB% in MLB. But then again we need to account for his magical elbow pad which makes him swing faster and harder. :-D

I think the Pad by itself can hit at least 30 bombs a year.

What round does Barry's Pad go in next year?

And will he be traded with or without the pad
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AdvRider » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm

acsguitar wrote:What round does Barry's Pad go in next year?

All bets are off if the pad is indicted.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 pm

He failed an amphetamines test....
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:

HGH is performance enhancer, no?

And they can't test for that because they don't know how yet

However I honestly don't give a crap cause watching Mark McGwire doing it in a single season was fun, and seeing Barry do what he does is fun. (plus if you look at a lot of sports stars they are all pretty huge now..so meh)
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ajgdrums7814 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:45 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:

And? Baseball players have been using amphetamines for years. If I'm not mistaken, Hammerin' Hank admitted to using greenies.

That's why this whole this is laughable. There is no way to compare these eras. There never was an even playing field, so people need to get off of their high horses. Steroids are simply the latest item in a long line of methods of gaining advantage by baseball players. Aaron probably didn't have the option to take steroids. But Ruth never had the option to take the amphetamines that Aaron took. And Ruth's record is certainly not squeaky clean either; not only for the corked bat allegations, but because he played against a watered-down version of players since minorities weren't even allowed to play.

The playing field isn't even and never was. Take all these records with a grain of salt. Bonds didn't do it like Aaron, Aaron didn't do it like Ruth and Ruth wouldn't have done it like Ruth if all the great Negro League players were in the game. You don't have to hold Bonds' record in high regard...I don't. But I don't stand up on some pedestal and pretend that baseball was a pure sport before Barry Bonds came along.
ajgdrums7814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:54 pm

ajgdrums7814 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:

And? Baseball players have been using amphetamines for years. If I'm not mistaken, Hammerin' Hank admitted to using greenies.

That's why this whole this is laughable. There is no way to compare these eras. There never was an even playing field, so people need to get off of their high horses. Steroids are simply the latest item in a long line of methods of gaining advantage by baseball players. Aaron probably didn't have the option to take steroids. But Ruth never had the option to take the amphetamines that Aaron took. And Ruth's record is certainly not squeaky clean either; not only for the corked bat allegations, but because he played against a watered-down version of players since minorities weren't even allowed to play.

The playing field isn't even and never was. Take all these records with a grain of salt. Bonds didn't do it like Aaron, Aaron didn't do it like Ruth and Ruth wouldn't have done it like Ruth if all the great Negro League players were in the game. You don't have to hold Bonds' record in high regard...I don't. But I don't stand up on some pedestal and pretend that baseball was a pure sport before Barry Bonds came along.

very well said
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
yankeekd25 wrote:That is a very powerful statement. I don't know you Kent, but that statement was definitely deep.

Ignore him. Kent hates the guy unequivocally, he'd do anything to downplay this moment. If there's anybody I have a lack of respect for on this board, it's him.

This thread is about Barry. No reason to go after another member when he said nothing to you here.

Exactly, it's a thread to celebrate this accomplishment. Which is why Kent shouldn't be on here making incredibly stupid comments to bash him like that. If he feels the need to express his hate, he should do it elsewhere.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers