(756!) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

(756!) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: (755) Chasing Aaron - Official Barry Bonds Countdown to 756

Postby mak1277 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:08 am

Congrats to Barry.

To me, I couldn't care less how he got there...it was sure fun to watch, and that's all that matters to me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:13 am

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't watch it and frankly didn't care. I haven't seen one of his HRs live probably since the single season HR chase. To me that was much more exciting.

I'm just glad baseball can get back to normal and we don't have to hear continuously about one of the most arrogant and disrespectful players to ever play the game.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:34 am

Congratulations, Barry. Whatever I may think of Barry the person, I respect the record.

756. That deserves a wow. 8-o

Now here's my :~( story. From time to time I suffer from insomnia. Monday night was a severe case for me and I ended up getting less than three hours of sleep. I then had to go up to Omaha for meetings all day, then my daughter's teacher came over for her pre-schoolyear Home Visit last night. After the previous night, the brutal day at work and the Visit, I was wrecked. I watched Bonds' first at-bat (or his first two, can't remember now...) and then I had to go to bed. I was just hoping he wouldn't hit it. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't the case, and I woke up to my wife (who cares nada about baseball, but who saw it) telling me Bonds hit 756 last night. After five or six games of watching, I missed the one where he broke the record. How much does that suck?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:43 am

I don't care about how much scandal surrounds this record, I got goosebumps watching that home run.

:-°
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:20 am

mweir145 wrote:
yankeekd25 wrote:
kentx12 wrote:He just thanked his dad, I sure bet he is looking down shaking his head in disaproval thinking how much his son disgraced the game. :-t

That is a very powerful statement. I don't know you Kent, but that statement was definitely deep.

Ignore him. Kent hates the guy unequivocally, he'd do anything to downplay this moment. If there's anybody I have a lack of respect for on this board, it's him.

This thread is about Barry. No reason to go after another member when he said nothing to you here.

Congrats, Barry. ;-D

PlayingWithFire wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Your sig is out of order now. :-D

Doesn't matter does it? Killebrew is still the man for me :-D

and kent, and guys, just ignore kent, he's like one of those people that gets excited when bugged, leave him alone for a while, he'll be bored and leave.

seriously ;-D

I really don't think that you are in any position to talk about members and leaving. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:20 am

manbearpig wrote:I thought I would be disgusted at watching Bonds hit that 756 long ball. I watched it live last night, and surprisingly enjoyed it. The whole thing felt wrong, but I couldn’t take my eyes off the TV. I still dislike his attitude as a person, he’s big headed, owes nothing to anyone, and it’s all about Barry.

Everyone knows he juiced, and if you still have a doubt take your blinders off. There’s only one thing I hate more than Barry Bonds arrogant a$$, and that’s the ‘argument people’. I lump this group all together as a bunch of half minded morons. Their argument is all around the same, some may vary depending on knowledge of the sport. Let me see if I can word this right so people know what group I’m talking about. This is what you have likely herd, or will hear the next couple of days: “Steroids or no steroids you still have to be able to stand in the box and hit those pitches, that takes God given talent, hard work and consistently. He is a great athlete”. (Other more ‘knowledgeable’ fans would now say, and I quote: “pitchers juice more than all other athletes in pro sports combined. Level field in my opinion.”)

I don’t really see why these ‘people’ feel the need to stickup for Barry. They might just do it for argument sake, and that just human nature, we are always right…Aren’t we?

There are not many other things in sports that compare to the greatness of hitting the long ball. You against the pitcher, your team isn’t helping you, and all your manager can do it give you a few signs. It’s like you against the world, you determine the outcome. Like I said, not many other situations in sports compare to you against the pitcher in the 9th with 2 outs when you’re down by 1.

A cheater is a cheater, whether you are willing to admit that Barry gave himself a clear advantage or not.

Like a great comedian says at the end of a rant – This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-manbearpig

Search for some of the Bonds threads here. You'll find much better arguments here than, "You still have to be able to stand in the box and hit those pitches."
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:25 am

Barry is awesome. ;-D

Imagine if he didn't walk so much in his career...or had good players in his lineup.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 am

5 wrote:Barry is awesome. ;-D

Imagine if he didn't walk so much in his career...or had good players in his lineup.

After watching him hit 87 homeruns against my team, I have no desire to imagine him any better than he is. !+)
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

I'm not sure if this is hacked or just an oversight or on purpose but this graphic is really poorly done but pretty funny.

Its from sportsline.com/mlb

I figured they'd take it down.

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:46 pm

5 wrote:Barry is awesome. ;-D

Just imagine if the proposed trade earlier in the 90s that had him going to Atlanta had actually gone through. I imagine he would probably be a bit more liked, and also have a few more homers at this stage as well.

But anyways, Congrats Mr. Bonds on a super achievement. That home run like McGwire's 62nd homer gave me goose bumps watching even when I saw it for the 20th time just a few minutes ago.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers