Imus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Imus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:55 pm

byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".

Imus has a long history of saying degrading things about blacks and women in general. Saying the Tennessee girls are cute doesn't make up for that.

I know he has a history of it, but Chris Rock has a history of calling whites, crackers and honkeys. And he never says good things about white people. Imagine Rock doing stand up like Michael Richards and he calls someone cracker? If that guy stood up and made a big deal of it he'd be laughed out of the auditorium. Double-standards :-t

The n word and cracker aren't even close to comparable. That's just the way it is.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:43 pm

the key is: Chris Rock is funny, Imus....is not
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:01 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".

Imus has a long history of saying degrading things about blacks and women in general. Saying the Tennessee girls are cute doesn't make up for that.

I know he has a history of it, but Chris Rock has a history of calling whites, crackers and honkeys. And he never says good things about white people. Imagine Rock doing stand up like Michael Richards and he calls someone cracker? If that guy stood up and made a big deal of it he'd be laughed out of the auditorium. Double-standards :-t

The n word and cracker aren't even close to comparable. That's just the way it is.

Why not? Is 'cracker' spoken with any less contempt for the person the speaker is referring to? I actually don't know, I don't get called a 'cracker' very often. :-S
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:06 pm

TheRock wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:

Why not? Is 'cracker' spoken with any less contempt for the person the speaker is referring to? I actually don't know, I don't get called a 'cracker' very often. :-S

Hmm maybe because the n word is associated with when white people bought and sold black people as property, forced them to work so white people could make money, strung them up on trees, and denied them human rights? Last time I checked cracker doesn't have any kind of connotation like that. In fact whenever I hear the word cracker used it's more of a joke than a derogatory statement.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:07 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
TheRock wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:

Hmm maybe because the n word is associated with when white people bought and sold black people as property, forced them to work so white people could make money, strung them up on trees, and denied them human rights? Last time I checked cracker doesn't have any kind of connotation like that. In fact whenever I hear the word cracker used it's more of a joke than a derogatory statement.

Yep, nailed it Teddy ;-D

They're not even in the same ballpark.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
TheRock wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:

Yep, nailed it Teddy ;-D

Yeah exactly, good post. It's all about what the n-word carries with it, which his hundreds of years of sheer hatred.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LiveForever » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:28 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
TheRock wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:

Yep, nailed it Teddy ;-D

Yeah exactly, good post. It's all about what the n-word carries with it, which his hundreds of years of sheer hatred.

Notice how everyone types out "Cracker" and types out "N-word". If they were comparable everyone would be typing "C-word" :-?
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:35 pm

LiveForever wrote:Notice how everyone types out "Cracker" and types out "N-word". If they were comparable everyone would be typing "C-word" :-?

women have already laid claim to that abrreviation.

but seriously, there are already like 8 threads on this tangent and nothing has changed...
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby DK » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:15 pm

theclefe wrote:
DK wrote:The funniest thing to me was I was watching CNN this morning and the headline under Al Sharpton said "Imus sparks hip hop debate."

LOL. What the heck does this have to do with hip hop whatsoever?

YAY for CNN making up controversy!

DK sparks ticker debate. Are bottom tickers more offensive than upper tickers?

I don't know, ask Al. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Stole this from Chrisy, he posted it on the lightside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-UpHlB9no

Powerful stuff.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk