Imus - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Imus

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:30 pm

DK wrote:The funniest thing to me was I was watching CNN this morning and the headline under Al Sharpton said "Imus sparks hip hop debate."

LOL. What the heck does this have to do with hip hop whatsoever?

YAY for CNN making up controversy!


DK sparks ticker debate. Are bottom tickers more offensive than upper tickers?
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Postby Old_Style » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Imus was canned because most of the major sponsors pulled their ads from his show. If CBS or NBC wasn't going to be losing money from this, they'd have him back on the air when his suspension was over.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:21 am

Anybody see the Daily Show clip of Imus talking with Sharpton when he dropped "you people" and "jive" in about 30 seconds? I thought that was pretty classy myself. :-t

Also, the Stephen Colbert skit making fun of this was awesome. He made fun of the Hungarians by saying they couldn't play guitar and the next night the Hungarian ambassador came on, played a little guitar, poked fun at the Finnish, and gave Colbert the guitar. It was pretty good. :-b
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:45 am

Sharpton is using this incident to promote his own agenda of "controling" what goes over the airwaves, he's scum.
Image
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1505
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:50 am

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Sharpton is using this incident to promote his own agenda of "controling" what goes over the airwaves, he's scum.


yep, the rutgers team even accepted his apology, Sharpton sensed blood & jumped all over it, comments shouldnt be said, but it got blown way out of proportion cause of Sharpton
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 4032
Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ home in my galaxie

Postby byfrcp » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:56 am

Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2204
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:59 am

He then went on to say how ugly and thuggish the Rutgers team was though...
Image
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1505
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:21 am

byfrcp wrote:Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".


Imus has a long history of saying degrading things about blacks and women in general. Saying the Tennessee girls are cute doesn't make up for that.
Image
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 4901
(Past Year: 97)
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dubuque

Postby byfrcp » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:48 am

ironman wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".


Imus has a long history of saying degrading things about blacks and women in general. Saying the Tennessee girls are cute doesn't make up for that.


I know he has a history of it, but Chris Rock has a history of calling whites, crackers and honkeys. And he never says good things about white people. Imagine Rock doing stand up like Michael Richards and he calls someone cracker? If that guy stood up and made a big deal of it he'd be laughed out of the auditorium. Double-standards :-t
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2204
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Massachusetts

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:34 pm

byfrcp wrote:
ironman wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Something that none of the media is showing is that after he made the statement about the Rutgers women, he went on to say that the girls from Tennesee were very cute, and they are basically all black as well. So he was complementing black women 5 seconds after he was "being racist".


Imus has a long history of saying degrading things about blacks and women in general. Saying the Tennessee girls are cute doesn't make up for that.


I know he has a history of it, but Chris Rock has a history of calling whites, crackers and honkeys. And he never says good things about white people. Imagine Rock doing stand up like Michael Richards and he calls someone cracker? If that guy stood up and made a big deal of it he'd be laughed out of the auditorium. Double-standards :-t


I agree with you that there is a double standard which is completely wrong, but Chris Rock is a different story. The guy makes jokes about everyone- blacks, whites, mexicans, etc. He does it all in good fun. Imus just made a pretty degrading comment towards a bunch of college kids, which made it worse just because it was a personal attack.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Welmnuplelsgirl and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact