Thanks guys.
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:29 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Stejay wrote:Why?

It's been beaten to death by every media outlet. I'm sorry for the Rutgers women and yes Imus crossed a line but he was fired for his actions and that should be the end of it IMO. If he wants to have a meeting with the team that's great but whether or not the team accepts his apology really has no affect. He made a mistake, like many hosts have done and he apologized and lost his job. What else is there that can happen?

I agree that this has been beaten to death. The Crypt Keeper Imus should not be front page news.

This is getting very bizarre though. Did you hear that the coach of the basketball team has made it to the final 4 three times and something bad has happened each time? The first time her daughter got sick and ended up in a wheelchair. The second time her husband died during the tournament. And this time this mess hapened.

Then did you hear that the Governor of New Jersey got involved? He arranged for Imus to meet with the team at his mansion. He was apparently late for the meeting himself and while hurrying back he got into an accident and is in critical condition. I repeat: the goveror of NJ is in hospital in critical condition b/c of this!!

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/202799

Very bizarre.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Wow, that is very strange. 8-o
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Imus is still alive? I thought he died a long ago. He always looked like he was about to croak.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 pm

I think the whole thing was blown out of porportion, everyone jumped on the issue like it was blatant racism when it was not the issue at all. I think the white community is so scared to not point out and disassociate from anything that can be remotely considered racist that it makes fools of ourselves(me being white). What Imus said had no negative racial slurs or epithets in it.

On PTI Michael Wilbon said what he took offense to intially was the word "nappy", which is preposterous considering the fact that nappy in no way is a negative term, but only an adjective to describe one's hair. Unfortunately nappy is a word that is most often used to describe the hair of blacks more than other races, so this started the imaginary racial maliciousness and divide. Then using the word "ho's" in conjunction with it invoked more unfounded racial divide and maliciousness, when the word refers negatively to one's sex in most cases, not race. Simply put, people connected dots that weren't supposed to be connected, and only because the perpetrator was white, and the majority of the victims were black.

What he said was wrong, sexist, and demeaning, it was also targetted at a group of people that in no way should of been targetted, and that alone is well worth a punishing, but with what is openly accepted by the majority of people in terms of the sexism within music expecially hip hop, what he said pales in comparison. People should look more strongly at what offended them in what he said in relation to say a 50 Cent CD, not in relation to a Michael Richard esque mistake.

Jason Whitlock wrote:Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:08 pm

much ado about nothing. a controversial radio personality with a long history of controversial utterances uttered something controversial. Shiver me timbers!!!

I did enjoy it when he rhetorically asked when Al Sharpton was going to apologize to the Duke lacrosse players.

Full disclosure: I have never heard his show.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Stejay wrote:Why?

It's been beaten to death by every media outlet. I'm sorry for the Rutgers women and yes Imus crossed a line but he was fired for his actions and that should be the end of it IMO. If he wants to have a meeting with the team that's great but whether or not the team accepts his apology really has no affect. He made a mistake, like many hosts have done and he apologized and lost his job. What else is there that can happen?

I agree that this has been beaten to death. The Crypt Keeper Imus should not be front page news.

This is getting very bizarre though. Did you hear that the coach of the basketball team has made it to the final 4 three times and something bad has happened each time? The first time her daughter got sick and ended up in a wheelchair. The second time her husband died during the tournament. And this time this mess hapened.

Then did you hear that the Governor of New Jersey got involved? He arranged for Imus to meet with the team at his mansion. He was apparently late for the meeting himself and while hurrying back he got into an accident and is in critical condition. I repeat: the goveror of NJ is in hospital in critical condition b/c of this!!

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/202799

Very bizarre.

I mean no ill will towards Corzine, but I do get a sense of general satisfaction from seeing self-important, camera-hungry jackwads get some level of comeuppance trying to stick their face in the middle of some business it has no business being near. However, this is definitely more harsh than my tastes would allow.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:18 pm

[quote="Jason Whitlock"][/quote]

Great article
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby DK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:31 pm

The funniest thing to me was I was watching CNN this morning and the headline under Al Sharpton said "Imus sparks hip hop debate."

LOL. What the heck does this have to do with hip hop whatsoever?

YAY for CNN making up controversy!
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:10 pm

I always liked the "quack, quack"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk