deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Montgomery

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:15 am

Wade Davis made his debut for AA pitching 6 1/3 while striking out 9 and walkinh no one. He topped out at 97 MPH and average 94. Bout time they moved him to AA. I would imagine McGee will be with him soon.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:54 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Wade Davis made his debut for AA pitching 6 1/3 while striking out 9 and walkinh no one. He topped out at 97 MPH and average 94. Bout time they moved him to AA. I would imagine McGee will be with him soon.

McGee is a tick better then Davis imo, so I expect him there soon. Heck maybe I see them in Durham next April and can check out the big two on a nightly basis. ;D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Wade Davis made his debut for AA pitching 6 1/3 while striking out 9 and walkinh no one. He topped out at 97 MPH and average 94. Bout time they moved him to AA. I would imagine McGee will be with him soon.

McGee is a tick better then Davis imo, so I expect him there soon. Heck maybe I see them in Durham next April and can check out the big two on a nightly basis. ;D

That would be some great games man. Those 2 are studs, which is kind of why i am unsure of why we went with sooo many pitchers in the draft after getting Price, having Niemann, Talbot, Hellickson, McGee, Davis, Mason, Reid, etc etc etc
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

That would be some great games man. Those 2 are studs, which is kind of why i am unsure of why we went with sooo many pitchers in the draft after getting Price, having Niemann, Talbot, Hellickson, McGee, Davis, Mason, Reid, etc etc etc

I honestly think we went pitcher crazy in the draft because of mounting pressure in Tampa to improve the team. I would guess that 90% of the Drays fans don't care about the minor leagues and pretty much think our pitching sucks, but in all actuality our pitching is super deep in the minors. That is the main reason why I was wanting bats in the draft instead of pitchers. After Longoria and Brignac move up in the next year or so, we will be pretty much bone dry as far as hitters go, but our pitching will still be loaded. The draft in 06 is starting to look like a good one for us as several of those young pitchers are showing some dramatic improvement. Hopefully for us the bats we took in the later rounds of this past draft can show some improvement in the next year or so and make all of this for naught.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Raiders, my thoughts 100%. That would be an exact post of my thoughts
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Wrangor » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 am

I am assuming with this strategy that DRays think they might have a team that could compete for the division title in 08 or 09. I think that is why they went pitching heavy...Price should be ready to help by the middle of next year, and Sonnastine, Kazmir, and Shields are all playoff quality pitchers. Combine that with an offense that could be the best in baseball by the middle of next year, and perhaps the DRays are giving it a homerun swing. If they can get some of these young pitchers to come in a contribute right away then I see no reason to think that Rays cant give the Red Sox and Yankees their money's worth in a race...consider this lineup by the beginning of next season.

C: Navarro
1B: Pena / Wigginton
2B: Iwamura
SS: Brignac
3B: Longoria
LF: Crawford
CF: Upton (they seem resigned to put him here)
RF: Young
DH: Gomes...whoever doesnt really matter

SP: Kazmir
SP: Shields
SP: Sonnastine
SP: Price

That is the makings of a team that could compete with anyone in the American League. It is also is the makings of a team that the DRays cannot afford to keep for very long, so they will probably be trading Crawford in the next year or so for some prospects or draft picks.

That is why I think they went for pitching...because while the minor league pitching depth is great, they need someone to step up big in the majors in the next year or so for them to have a shot at having a dream season.
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Several issues with your last post.

First off Price is no further along in his development then Davis or McGee are right now. Yes he was dominant in college this year, but Davis and McGee have dominated in High A and soon to be up to AA. Most scouts compare college ball to High A ball so the development is close to the same for right now.

Secondly, why would we trade Crawford in the next year or so when he is locked up through 2010? And if you projected lineup holds, we would have no need to trade Crawford as nobody on that list is even close to being a free agent and getting a load of money.

Lastly, even with a great offense that we will have and solid starting pitching staff, if the bullpen is not fixed, the Devil Rays do not see the playoffs in 08 or 09.
raiders_umpire

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays