Albert Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:54 am

RAmst23 wrote:
jealousblues wrote:his problem is he has zero protection in the line up. Nothing.
Rolen is hitting under .200, Edmonds is hitting like .230
He is also extending his strike zone and pushing to do something.
It happened for a while last year too, and he ended up pulling everything to 3B.
just my opinion

He is getting pitched around and walked often

Um, no. I don't blame people for using this argument, it just tells me they aren't Cardinal fans. Nothing wrong with that, I don't expect everyone to be a fan of my team.

Anyway, Pujols had MUCH... MUCH worse production at other points in his career. There have been many times when Edmonds and Rolen were injured at the same time and Pujols has hit extremely well. He's just that good. He's so good in fact, that 2 weeks of stats here at the beginning of the season mean nothing and he'll be fine.

I agree with a couple posters in this thread. This isn't a serious fantasy baseball question. It's a very poor fantasy baseball question. A very fundamental point to learn in FB. Stick with your stud hitters. They come around, with the exception of Adrian Beltre. Pujols, like all other slumping superstars, will start hitting well. Most likely when the temperature spikes above 60 degrees.

That is a decent point. I don't really have any clue about the protection he had at other points in his career. And I know he assuredly go back to his dominating self any day now. My mind is changed....but, all I know is that he would probably do better batting in between Beltran and Wright ;-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jealousblues » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:41 am

RAmst23 wrote:
jealousblues wrote:his problem is he has zero protection in the line up. Nothing.
Rolen is hitting under .200, Edmonds is hitting like .230
He is also extending his strike zone and pushing to do something.
It happened for a while last year too, and he ended up pulling everything to 3B.
just my opinion

He is getting pitched around and walked often

Um, no. I don't blame people for using this argument, it just tells me they aren't Cardinal fans. Nothing wrong with that, I don't expect everyone to be a fan of my team.

Anyway, Pujols had MUCH... MUCH worse production at other points in his career. There have been many times when Edmonds and Rolen were injured at the same time and Pujols has hit extremely well. He's just that good. He's so good in fact, that 2 weeks of stats here at the beginning of the season mean nothing and he'll be fine.

I agree with a couple posters in this thread. This isn't a serious fantasy baseball question. It's a very poor fantasy baseball question. A very fundamental point to learn in FB. Stick with your stud hitters. They come around, with the exception of Adrian Beltre. Pujols, like all other slumping superstars, will start hitting well. Most likely when the temperature spikes above 60 degrees.

I take offense to this because I am a Cardinals fan. Not to be a jerk.
He has done this a couple times before (not NEARLY as bad though) but you can see it. He is going way out of his strike zone, kind of getting ahead and also lunging (a little) at balls. He gets anxious and pull happy a bit. He used to hit the ball the other way a lot more (not that I'd ever rag on him or give up on him).
Do you remember last year (when everyone was hurt) he was pounding the ball in to the ground and pulling a lot to 3b?

I would also say this is the worse line up he has ever been in.
2003-2005 (before that, you may have a point but I think they were still good...and remeber back then he wasnt THE man on the team)we would take any day, last year and this year werent all that great. He never really have So Taguchi's and Preston Wilsons (or Skip Shumakers, and Speezer) starting. Or Edmonds and Rolen as innefective as they have been.
Plus he seems to be getting pitched around. Did you see how the Mets pitched to him? Never had a chance, plus in a slump its all worse.
The only time he has ever had a line up this bad around him is when Rolen, Edmonds, Molina and everyone was out for a while but still...the team was rolling.

He is Pujols so he will come around. (after all remember when he started off slow right after he got his contract? And he came around like a mofo)
He just strikes me as a guy trying to do too much.

and I never suggested dumping Pujols or anything stupid like that.
Last edited by jealousblues on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jealousblues » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 am

searching back I found this gem from spring 2001:

"3B Albert Pujols -- By dealing Tatis, the Cardinals showed a trememdous amount of faith in the future promise of Pujols. The 21-year-old hit .324 with 17 homers in Class A, although he struggled in a short stint in Memphis. While not ready in 2001, Pujols is the heir apparent for the third-base job while the Cardinals keep the seat warm for one year. "
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jealousblues » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:15 am

article on Pujols from the St. Louis Post Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/B63731C170AD553A862572BB0066C39F?OpenDocument

"* Except for a few days in the last week of spring training, Pujols did not hit for much average or power, although he hit the ball harder than the .234 average and no home runs he had with 10 days to go in the spring. So, what we’ve seen is a continuation of that.

* The Cardinals have faced pitching that's been almost as good as they have had themselves. Part of it is Pujols, but the Cardinals have been held to three runs or fewer in seven of their nine games.

* Most importantly, Pujols has been too impatient. Except for two walks he had on Opening Night, he has walked only three times since then, all intentionally. This suggests that Pujols is expanding his hitting area to outside the strike zone because very few pitchers are going to throw him too many strikes.

* And one of the main reasons Pujols probably has swung at too many pitches, even lunging at some of them, is that he has had little or no production in the lineup behind him.

Cleanup man Scott Rolen is hitting only .192 and missed two games with back spasms. And center fielder Jim Edmonds, the other primary protection for Pujols these last few years, is still rehabilitating from two off-season surgeries and still is well off form.

Pujols, in essence, seems to be trying to do too much and, in the process, accomplishing too little.

* * *"

see, I'm not the only one ;-)
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 am

jealousblues wrote:How is the line up better this year?

Eck
Duncan (only hald the time)
Pujols
Rolen (hitting under .200)
Preston Wilson/Scott Spezio (need I say more?)
Edmonds (barley over .200, no rbi, no HR)
Molina
Kennedy
Pitcher

Jaun is hurt, half the time we have WIlson and Taguchi out there. Neither should be starting much less both.
Duncan is the only guy showing any power right now and he sits against lefties (mostly so far)

Believe me you are not missing much offense without Encarnacion. That lineup is more or less the same as last season. Except Edmonds is actually healthy this year. You need more than 1 1/2 week of sample to determine that there is something seriously wrong with Pujols. I can't believe people are still debating that point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dryice » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:34 am

someone asks a valid question and all he gets are farts..

going to lay this out one time as clearly as possible with all the caveats to hopefuly immunize this from the fartists and the homeboys

1) on his only double, the only opportunity he had to run HARD), he was seen limping to 2nd to the extent that this was commented on by the announcers. No trainer came out...This indicates to me that whatever it was, the team knows about, and unless they knew he came to the plate with a rock in his shoe, then they know another reason he was limping. He MAY be experiencing a (mild?) reoccurence of plantar facias? This is a QUESTION. The team is very good at treating this, and he has played with it before with great results, but note that this injury usually debilitates a player to the extent he can't play, and Pujols, himself, has said he wouldn't play another whole season with it because it is so painful.

2) As been mentioned, his lineup protection is not so good. I would say his lineup period has suffered significant degradation this year with a declining, and often hurt Rolen and Edwards. His lineup decline has not affected his stats before, but note that after a whole season of being clubbed to death by a guy and an off-season to think about it, teams sometimes make MAJOR collective adjustments as to how they approach him. In this case, Pujols has clubbed them for a few years now, and the lineup is truly at its low point. I suspect that pitchers are almost exclusively using Pujols as a "test the extent of the strike zone" experiment. Note that when Bonds roided up 73 hrs, the next year he never had a chance to come close, even those his hr/pa was comparable. If teams are putting 2 and 2 together, this could have a drastic effect on even a healthy Pujols's stats, not even helping his run totals much (especially if he's running the basepaths tentatively due to some injury). Pujols expects to be a factor in the game, so he may be counter-balancing by swinging at pitches he normally might not swing at. While luck is the major factor in hit rate of balls in play, his currently low hit rate might be reflecting this.

3) This is not an accusation. Here's the statement. Don't consider Pujols an age-certain guy. Not his fault. No one from DR is age- certain, because of their record keeping. Whether Pujols stats so far are pre-peak or peak makes a HUGE difference in future expectations.

Everyone knows about small sample sizes, permaturity of making decisions EXCLUSIVELY based on beginnig of season, blah.. bla. Everyone knows when a stud has a slow start, it is ignorable IF there is no other information. IF there IS oither information, that information has to be factored in on the come QUICKLY at any time during the season, and ESPECIALLY at the beginning.

Pujols represents critical equity, and if I had Pujols, which I don't, this is the stuff that would come in to play to formulate a decision as to what to do with him. Since don't have him, not making one. No reason to panic, because if decision is to trade, can still get full value. And the farting out Neifi Perez recs are ignorable.
Last edited by dryice on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Albert Pujols

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:35 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:Has anyone seen his games lately? What seems to be his problem?

I think that he needs a nickname. What do you guys prefer A-Poo or A-Pu? Should I make this a poll?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby jbauer2485 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:40 am

This would be awful for Pujols owners if any of these latests posts are true about a possible nagging injury. I don't believe the lineup protection is an issue though. It's not like the Cardinals had a great lineup last year. He's done it with an injured Rolen, so I'm not concerned about that.

It's a scary thought to think about how dependent the 1st overall pick lineups are on Pujols. This is why I love picking last so I can get two "first round" players.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby darb48824 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am

My dad said he was on steroids so he could be as good as bonds.
darb48824
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Triad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Pujols is simply slumping and not making good contact.
The 3 hits he collected against the Pirates, 1 was a flyball misjudged by Bay, 1 was an eye-seeing ground ball and the last one was a slow grounder infield-hit, none of them were hit hard. That being said, most hitters in this series were affected by the cold weather.

Overall, I think Albert is just trying too hard and putting too much pressure on himself. But when you have Spiezio batting behind you.........
The Triad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers