Baseball and race- a discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball and race- a discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball and race- a discussion

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am

broomulack wrote:
rudeboy21 wrote:The four major sports are all dominated by blacks or people of African decent, for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically. It's just a shame that African americans ignore soccer and baseball......

LOL WTF??? Baseball is a one of the four major sports, so there goes that theory. And people have been fired from big-time sports jobs for saying variations of this: "for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically".

I thought hockey was one of the big 4, too... :-?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Baseball and race- a discussion

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:40 am

Inukchuk wrote:
broomulack wrote:
rudeboy21 wrote:The four major sports are all dominated by blacks or people of African decent, for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically. It's just a shame that African americans ignore soccer and baseball......

LOL WTF??? Baseball is a one of the four major sports, so there goes that theory. And people have been fired from big-time sports jobs for saying variations of this: "for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically".

I thought hockey was one of the big 4, too... :-?

My guess is he's replacing hockey with golf, although really he should replace it with Nascar.

In any case, it's interesting the reaction the resurrection of this thread has gotten. I don't know if anyone else remembers all the hubbub 2 years ago when the black representation in the majors fell to 8% but it was a major topic in the sports world. FWIW, the report that year also came out around the time of MLB honoring Jackie, so there were all those tie-ins at the time.

My take on it is two things:
1) It's pretty evident that today, more than ever, baseball is a meritocracy. If you're good, you play. If you're not good, you don't.
2) Although noone discussed it, the white representation in baseball is also on a serious decline. It's not that there was this period of integration and now we're trending back towards a period of segregation.... it's that blacks were losing representation in the majors to Latinos and Asians. So in a larger sense, MLB was just as integrated as ever.

I haven't been watching ESPN this week, but my sense from other popular press is that the percentage going up to 10% hasn't received 5% of the coverage as the percentage going down to 8% did.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers