Baseball and race- a discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball and race- a discussion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re:

Postby RyanK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:06 pm

the ROC wrote:
silverZ wrote:I only know a couple of black kids my age (18-19) that are really into baseball, compared to the 95% that are into other sports.

and yet, they're all wearing baseball hats, so the MLB must at least be doing SOMETHING right in this regard.

yeah griffey wore it backwards
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baseball and race- a discussion

Postby AsimoV82 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 pm

This is really an issue?

No ones concerned with the lack of white people in the NBA. Nor the lack of latinos in the NFL.

Why is baseball such a crisis? I don't get it. You can't force people to play a sport just because you don't like the ratios it presents.

Methinks this is a creation by the sports media to get people all riled up.
AsimoV82
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rudeboy21 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:38 pm

The four major sports are all dominated by blacks or people of African decent, for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically. It's just a shame that African americans ignore soccer and baseball......
rudeboy21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 pm

AsimoV82 wrote:This is really an issue?

No ones concerned with the lack of white people in the NBA. Nor the lack of latinos in the NFL.

Why is baseball such a crisis? I don't get it. You can't force people to play a sport just because you don't like the ratios it presents.

I completely agree. Are there really people out there who won't take a great hitter because he's black? I'm white. I like baseball too. It's a ton easier to go play 3 on 3 basketball because all you need is 6 people as opposed to 18 to field 2 teams. We don't see an uproar for the white running back? Let's stop thinking that racism is stopping blacks from playing MLB. If kids/teens of any race want to play any sport, encourage them to play what they enjoy playing.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I havent read all of the comments, but I really enjoy the intellectual content in this thread.

I just want to add one more opinion, and its based off what I read on page 2 (sorry for no quote), about kids being pushed into 1 sport early and not playing multiple sports.

If you look at demographics, majority of mlb players from this country come from southern states. Why is that, because you can play baseball year round, allowing you to get better. These areas California, Az, Texas, Fla are predominately White/Latin cultures.

weather plays a big factor in the northern border states, indoor sports are big, those are the sports that can be played year round, basketball, hockey, and football can be played in any weather.

You never hear about people complaining about the lack of Wisconsin or Michigan born players.

also I am on the side that Baseball isnt as "flashy" for lack of a better term then Football or Basketball for the hip-hop generation.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby broomulack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
CadensDad wrote: Baseball you have to have a big space to play, not to mention 4 items to use for bags, and at least 1 bat. Plus gloves for each player, and honestly you need at least 14 people to even come close to a solid game and even then it's kinda weird.

I don't know about you but I played a lot of baseball with only 3 people growing up, one to pitch, one hit and one to field. The space is the big issue.

With the use of "automatics" there isn't any need for more than 20 ft to pitch, a wall for a strike zone and a ball and bat. Any ground ball past the pitcher is a single. A line drive past the pitcher is a double. Past a certain point it's a triple, and of course you have a spot where it becomes a HR. For outs, if the groundball is fielded cleanly, it's an out. Strikeouts, line outs and pop outs count as they normally would.

It wasn't always about a team sport for baseball - it was the love of the sport, and imagination. Hell, half the games we made up as kids were based on baseball: kickball, punchball, whiffle ball, etc.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby broomulack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:45 am

rudeboy21 wrote:The four major sports are all dominated by blacks or people of African decent, for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically. It's just a shame that African americans ignore soccer and baseball......

LOL WTF??? Baseball is a one of the four major sports, so there goes that theory. And people have been fired from big-time sports jobs for saying variations of this: "for some reason they're very gifted people athlectically".
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby broomulack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 am

AsimoV82 wrote:This is really an issue?

I agree with this 100%. It's reverse racism, and at the risk of starting a real firestorm here, it unfortunately permeates just about every level of our society. My favorite all-time example was Whoopi Goldberg on an awards show. She took a drink from a white stagehand and said "see you can get white people to do anything" and everyone laughed. No uproar. Had that been a white actor saying that about a black stagehand, the actor's career would never have been the same and it would ahve been ALL over the place.

This is not a complaint - I could care less. It's just an observation.

Ok, hit me with it everyone.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:40 am

I think any unequal treatment of people based solely on race is included in the definition of racism. The very thing guys like Jackie fought against. I wish ESPN and other sports media would stop using that as a dividing line. I'll agree that if poorer American children aren't getting a chance to play that's sad, but if that's the case I wish that would be what is reported and discussed instead of using race.

Not criticizing anyone here or flaming ESPN/media types. Just saying that I think we have to be careful when we walk the racial line and think things would be a ton better if the media would stop harking on race.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 am

Another thing to consider might be that if you are on the cusp in basketball, you play in Europe. In Baseball, you play in Peoria, Lansing, Durham, Columbus, etc?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers