Worst Weather Of All Time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst Weather Of All Time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Tony Kornheiser suggested MLB play more day/ night doubleheaders and start the season in mid April end in October.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thekingthe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:17 pm

April showers brings May flowers ;-D
thekingthe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pgbridge2000 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:29 pm

Isn't this an El Nino year or something. IDK but the weather has been weird for months, in New York its was 70 degrees for 2 days in early January. I think the schedule should have more opening days in the south (have home openers for northern teams a week later) and give the weather 1 extra week to get warm. I also think that this underscores the need of certain teams to have retractable roofed stadiums. I know that the twins new stadium will be an open air stadium because they couldn't afford a retractable roof and there is already a history of opening days being canceled because of weather in their stadium before they moved to the dome. Even certain warm weather teams need domes because of storms. This brings to mind when the Yankees were playing the D-rays a couple of years ago during a tight AL East race (not for the drays) and there were questions about whether games that were rained out would be made up (I believe some had to be moved to new york). And lets not remember the problems cold weather causes come late october and november in northern cities, since 1996 every world series (except 2002) has involved at least one team that plays in a cold weather city without a dome or retractable roof.
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 am

Payne Dailey wrote:Tony Kornheiser suggested MLB play more day/ night doubleheaders and start the season in mid April end in October.

;-D i've heard that mentioned too...i like that idea
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:11 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:Tony Kornheiser suggested MLB play more day/ night doubleheaders and start the season in mid April end in October.

;-D i've heard that mentioned too...i like that idea

Seems like a good idea, except when could they be played? If they are played during the week fewer people can go to the ballpark and tv ratings will suffer since most people work. They can't be played on saturday since FOX owns the rights to broadcast all games in the afternoon (and MLB tvs don't want to lose that TV revenue). They can't be played on sunday becuase it would interfer with sunday night baseball on ESPN.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby soxfan364 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:44 pm

It would make sense to push back spring training the opening day each by a few weeks. Spring training is too long anyway, it was really boring for me this year.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:06 pm

i feel like this could all be resolved if northeast teams just started their seasons off on the road, something like three road series, total of 9 games n then a nice long home stand. it certainly beats decreasing games off the schedule or moving the playoffs later and jeopardizing the stats with less games and taking away some of the integrity of the game... but thats just my 2 cents
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers