How deep is too deep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How deep is too deep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:53 pm

imblotto wrote:That sounds perverted.

Nah. If someone answered something like 'balls deep', now that'd sound perverted. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 pm

my $$ league is 15 teams and 28 roster spots (25 active). absolultey the most fun i have with any league
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BoilerATC » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm in a 14 team mixed keeper league with 12 starters on offense and 10 pitchers, with 8 bench slots and 10 minor league slots (40 total). I love it. It can be frustrating to see that every team's set up man is taken and saves are hard to pick up during the season, but I love following the prospects and balancing such a large roster.

It's too easy in a 12 team yahoo league to pick up the new closer or the hot prospect (Hughes or Bailey later).
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mugrila » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:53 pm

I'm in a 20 team with 2 Util spots, 4 OF spots, and MI/CI spots. There are basically no starters on the WW.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Hey, if Carlos Pena is on your wire then you gotta grab him. Get back to me about 'how deep is too deep' when you're scrambling to get a 5th outfielder who gets a pinch hit once in awhile with the potential to start if one or two players get injured. It's fun and yet so difficult to keep up with the NL that thoroughly.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Hey, never played in a 12 teams league with deep roster. What I can tell you is that 20+ teams league are extremely fun. I'm in a 28 teams dynasty league and I was in a 30 teams dynasty for a short while, and those are super fun.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Brandaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:49 pm

im in a 13 team NL only 30 man roster. also have 2 c spots, 4 of, MI,CI spots and util. makes it kinda difficult, im mad juan encarnacion went on the dl :~( he was supposed to be my 3rd of
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bellybrother » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I've played in a 10 team NL only with 23 active roster spots and 7 reserve spots for 6 yrs. My active roster consists of Mike Lamb at util and either Endy Chavez or Craig Wilson in the OF. My MI is Alex Gonzalez. My catchers are David Ross and Yorvit Torrealba. My roster did have both Endy and Wilson until I was able to nab De Aza off waivers this week...............I wouldn't have it any other way.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chadgo5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:03 pm

To me, winning a deep league takes knowledge, skill and strategy with a little bit of luck thrown in. Shallow leagues are mostly luck. JMO.

I'm in a 13 team, 37 man roster league(23 starters/14 farm). Going in I knew OF was shallow this year, that didn't stop me from waiting too long to fill in my last OF spots like a moron... and now I'm stuck with Murton, Nelson Cruz and Delucci to fill two spots. Luckily I have the deepest, best (IMO) pitching staff in the league from which to trade to upgrade my OF spots (Oswalt, Peavy, Smoltz, Hamels, Maine, C. James, Davies, Garland, Byrd and Pedro Martinez stashed until the couple of months).
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 pm

I like a pretty deep league, but I don't like really deep active rosters.

I think too many utility spots really dillutes the advantage of having a top 2B or a top C. I want positional disparity to count for something, but if there are 4 OF spots and 2 UTIL spots, for instance, I might as well draft only the best player regardless of position until I am forced to fill my spots at 2B and C.

For that reason I like to stick pretty close to yahoo default roster size. As for number of teams, I think 14 is great. It's still an even number, but nobody can build a truly dominant team without some serious work.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers