Move Grady Down? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Move Grady Down?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Move Grady Down?

Postby Giambis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not there's been talk of moving Grady out of the 1 hole in Cleveland. As his power continues to develop, solo shots are going to get frustrating. I understand conventional wisdom says it's good to have his speed at the top of the lineup, but it's probably less important statistically than most people attach to it, especially considering how much power he's already flashing (and flashed last year, XBH's leader and all that), and the replacement decent OBP guys there for that slot (Michaels, Nixon)
From a fantasy perspective, the 1 spot allows him to run, but prevents him from getting the elite rbi numbers that would vault him into the first round. I think he'd probably run a little less hitting #3, which would seem to be the logical place for him, but I think he'd still get his 15-20 sb's, and his rbi numbers would go through the roof. Let's move him down!!
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 pm

I agree to a point, but who would take the top spot? Peralta? Nixon? Marte? Right now, I think Sizemore is ok where he's at, good OPS and SBs. Of course, this from the Indians standpoint, not a fantasy owner like myself.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:05 pm

I think long-term they have the #3 spot in mind for him. Seems like they have a kid they like in the minors who they think will be leading off in the next couple years. I could be totally mistaken though. In any case, I doubt he moves out of the leadoff spot this year.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Giambis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I understand what you're saying, and my understanding of the Indian's player personnel to fill the leadoff slot is admittedly limited. My point may be more general about the role of a lead off hitter in baseball. With guys like Delucci and Michaels who can get on at a good clip, even Nixon, maybe the 20 steals and 5 or 10 extra runs that Grady will add at the slot are not as valuable as the runs he can drive in hitting two slots lower.
His situation is obviously not exactly the same as Soriano's, given that Grady is a better suited lead-off hitter than Alfonso, but similar arguments can be made in both situations I think.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:19 pm

I don't think you will see Sizemore in the 3 hole this year. But next year if Trevor Crowe continues to improve, I think we will see Crowe lead off the Indians and Sizemore moved to the #3 hole.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Cat » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

I like Barfield to take the leadoff spot if he starts hitting better.
Ron Paul 2008
Big Cat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:38 pm

I think for now especially with VMart out, Sizemore needs to get as many ABs as possible, that would be leadoff. ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GradysBaby133 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:59 pm

No way

1.) Grady is comfterable in the leadoff spot and enjoys hitting there

2.) Having Grady leadoff gets him approximately 60-100 more at bats than what he would have hitting 3rd. He is the best hitter on the team and you want him to have the most at bats as he can.

3.) Who else would lead off? The only player that could even be considered is Josh Barfield, but he has the worst OBP on the team.
GradysBaby133
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I think long-term they have the #3 spot in mind for him. Seems like they have a kid they like in the minors who they think will be leading off in the next couple years. I could be totally mistaken though. In any case, I doubt he moves out of the leadoff spot this year.

I'd definitely agree with this. I think he has the 3-hole in his future, but for now he is their best option at the leadoff spot, and he's doing so well there that is no reason to move him at this point when they lack another viable option.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:04 pm

60-100 extra AB's is a stretch but he could possibly see 20-30 more.

I agree though that at this stage he is better suited to leading off and no way he hits anywhere other than that in 2007 at least.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers