How much do you value pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How much do you value pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dmendro » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

Yo, Ben Stiller! You're getting hung up on something you said, not something I said. I never said if there is a run on 2Bmen, draft a second basement. I said if you have a plan that says you have to have good pitching early, and the rest of league collectively says "screw pitching early", you shouldn't be sticking to your original plan. You should modify it on the fly so that you dont' los out on the best hitting. I said top 18 hitters, you said top 8 2bmen. Huge difference there is it not? Let's say you draft 4th, and santana falls to you and you take him. Everyone else is still drafting hitters by the time your next pick comes up, do you A, draft another pitcher, or B, draft a hitter, knowing that at least one more top 10 pitcher will fall to you in the least because there are 9 more out there and none have been taken, and the odds of 9 pitchers in a row going are poor.

so, you play the draft and the owners, not the players. I.e. Travis hafner is there for you second round, you take him knowing that most likely a top 5 pitcher will still be there round 3, and the difference bwteen the number 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 pitcher is not a huge difference. If you continue to take pitchign when everyone else takes hitting, you will have lost the season before it even starts. If the draft becomes more disjointed, with a mix of pitching and hitting going, you further adjust, knowing that top hitters will be falling to the 3rd and 4th rounds because pitching is taking it's place on the draft board. that means you can take better pitchign earlier because you know great hitters will be left next time you pick.

You have to play the draft. If after 5 rounds, you have 4 pitchers and 1 hitter and everyone else has 4 hitters and 1 pitcher, you are going to be seriously hurting for offensive support. You probably could have taken 3 hitters and 2 pitchers and STILL gotten 1 of those 2 pitchers you didn't take in the 6th or 7th round.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:17 am

dmendro wrote:Yo, Ben Stiller! You're getting hung up on something you said, not something I said. I never said if there is a run on 2Bmen, draft a second basement. I said if you have a plan that says you have to have good pitching early, and the rest of league collectively says "screw pitching early", you shouldn't be sticking to your original plan. You should modify it on the fly so that you dont' los out on the best hitting. I said top 18 hitters, you said top 8 2bmen. Huge difference there is it not? Let's say you draft 4th, and santana falls to you and you take him. Everyone else is still drafting hitters by the time your next pick comes up, do you A, draft another pitcher, or B, draft a hitter, knowing that at least one more top 10 pitcher will fall to you in the least because there are 9 more out there and none have been taken, and the odds of 9 pitchers in a row going are poor.

so, you play the draft and the owners, not the players. I.e. Travis hafner is there for you second round, you take him knowing that most likely a top 5 pitcher will still be there round 3, and the difference bwteen the number 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 pitcher is not a huge difference. If you continue to take pitchign when everyone else takes hitting, you will have lost the season before it even starts. If the draft becomes more disjointed, with a mix of pitching and hitting going, you further adjust, knowing that top hitters will be falling to the 3rd and 4th rounds because pitching is taking it's place on the draft board. that means you can take better pitchign earlier because you know great hitters will be left next time you pick.

You have to play the draft. If after 5 rounds, you have 4 pitchers and 1 hitter and everyone else has 4 hitters and 1 pitcher, you are going to be seriously hurting for offensive support. You probably could have taken 3 hitters and 2 pitchers and STILL gotten 1 of those 2 pitchers you didn't take in the 6th or 7th round.

Yo, dmendro! Still not sure how that's going out on a limb. It sounds to me like you're saying people should take what the draft gives them and I completely agree. Just because one person values pitching more than another doesn't mean they're going to draft poorly and over pay for pitchers, does it? It doesn't mean they're going to forsake hitting or draft a pitcher when there's only one Solid 2B left, does it? :-? There are good drafters that put a high value on pitchers and there are bad drafters that put a high value on pitchers. People can put a high value on pitchers and draft exactly the same way you described. They're not mutually exclusive.

This thread is about value, not draft strategy... I think that's where the confusion is.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers